Gumtree 205 GTI
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Gumtree 205 GTI

Fellow Frogger!

Default Gumtree 205 GTI

A white GTI is selling on Gumtree but it seems to be a curious little beast. The GTI has SI style side bump strips and fasteners visible on the rear wheel arch. Seller says he's also fitted SI seats because they're more comfortable. Price is decent enough.

Advertisement

Any intel?

Maybe I just don't know enough about GTIs (which is highly probable)?
    Currently:
    Lazily looking for a 205 daily driver.
    Previously:
    Peugeot 206, Peugeot 205, Honda CR-Z, BMW 3-Series (2), Audi A4 (2), BMW Z3, Mazda MX-5 (2), Saab 900, Morris Mini, Mazda 121, Nissan Pulsar and Holden Gemini.

From an originality perspective, nothing on that car is right and the mileage it has done is huge. It doesn't look like a cherished and carefully cared for car. Cloth Si seats are identical to cloth GTI seats in comfort - the reason you would do a swap is if you can't justify the cost to repair shagged GTI seats.

Without driving it, I would have thought the market has a long way to move yet before $9+k for that car is good value.
    CEyssens, gezza and dj4llen like this.

Now that's taking the piss. Way to go, taking a picture with a lighter in the center console tray.
    dj4llen likes this.

PDJ

I'd be checking the rear wheel arch shape. All the GTI parts it has can be bolted on. Looks like an SI body with GTI bits.
    WD-40'll fix It! If it don't, use a big hammer

Fellow Frogger!

Yes, I noticed the lighter. I laughed, too.

I guessed it was an SI pretending to be a GTI. Even I spotted it, hence the need for a second opinion. Thanks all.
    Currently:
    Previously:
    Peugeot 206, Peugeot 205, Honda CR-Z, BMW 3-Series (2), Audi A4 (2), BMW Z3, Mazda MX-5 (2), Saab 900, Morris Mini, Mazda 121, Nissan Pulsar and Holden Gemini.

Si's don't have lift up reverse.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

VIP Sponsor

No, the Si seats are better, also the GTI ones are mounted too high.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
    From an originality perspective, nothing on that car is right and the mileage it has done is huge. It doesn't look like a cherished and carefully cared for car. Cloth Si seats are identical to cloth GTI seats in comfort - the reason you would do a swap is if you can't justify the cost to repair shagged GTI seats.

Without driving it, I would have thought the market has a long way to move yet before $9+k for that car is good value.

Fellow Frogger!

Good spotting. I take it GTIs do? Seller claims the bloke he bought it from jazzed it up a bit and was a bit of a collector. Now seriously, even when new, an Australian delivered GTI would be regarded as a bit of a rare collectable even when new. Still, beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose.

The thing that gets me are the SI door bump strips. Why o' why? Waiting for the VIN to check - that might reveal more. Could have been in a prang and been bodgied in the back yard, but again: why o' why as the GTI is an International collectable.

I'm curious as its the only white SI/GTI I've seen around for sale anywhere near me the last 12 months unless I've missed something somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    Si's don't have lift up reverse.
    Currently:
    Previously:

Fellow Frogger!

Based on what can be seen and what it is registered as, specifically Month/Year of manufacture, it appears to be just a high mileage S2 GTi with some cosmetic changes.

Need to see VIN tattoed on body to be 100%.

Price is optimistic :-)
    dj4llen likes this.

Iíd say itís definitely a GTI as per Peters comments and the other S2 parts.

Itís also been advertised a few times likely modified back when they werenít so wanted in mint original condition

Also there is another white one on the market

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/...SSE-AD-5405436
    dj4llen likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Beggars can't be choosers. I fancy getting back into a 205, almost any 205, but I daresay I'd like to trim the price by a few thousand. It needs some TLC to return to anything approaching original condition.
    Currently:
    Previously:

Default Gumtree 205 GTI

....and another white one here on Aussiefrogs

F/S Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 1988 - TAS
    Last edited by CEyssens; 2nd May 2018 at 09:48 PM.
    dj4llen likes this.

I think that white Carsales one would actually be worth investigating. The price might be a bit high, but:
    • the mileage is modest;
    • it has the best looking dash i've seen for a long time - look at how tight the gaps are around the heater controls for example;
    • the seat bases are unusually good for a GTI and the upper bolsters may be repairable;
    • the paint looks pretty good and the missing GTI badge is easy to replace;
    • the wheels and trims all look nice;
    • it looks very original.

If the mechanicals are okay then see if you can bargain the price down and you're laughing. Why would you even look at the horrible one that has had all the Si modifications?
    dj4llen, flock and CEyssens like this.

1000+ Posts

From memory the white Gumtree car is /was an AF member on here for many years.
    jr20516v

Now:
    205 GTi 1.9, Exige SC [modded], 205 Si., Colt Ralliart [ highly modded ] Honda CRZ

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2

Fellow Frogger!

Actually the seats are from the following years model (AM91)... cloth Quartets... this appears to be a AM90 model GTi.

I think that white Carsales one would actually be worth investigating. The price might be a bit high, but:
    • the mileage is modest;
    • it has the best looking dash i've seen for a long time - look at how tight the gaps are around the heater controls for example;
    • the seat bases are unusually good for a GTI and the upper bolsters may be repairable;
    • the paint looks pretty good and the missing GTI badge is easy to replace;
    • the wheels and trims all look nice;
    • it looks very original.

If the mechanicals are okay then see if you can bargain the price down and you're laughing. Why would you even look at the horrible one that has had all the Si modifications?

Isn't AM91 the first of the phase 2 cars? I thought quartet was offered on the phase 1.5 (or s2 in Aussiefrog speak) which would mean AM90 - or have I got that wrong?

Fellow Frogger!

Excellent! A much better example with a lot fewer KMs. Thanks - I never check Carsales for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by CEyssens View Post
    I’d say it’s definitely a GTI as per Peters comments and the other S2 parts.

It’s also been advertised a few times likely modified back when they weren’t so wanted in mint original condition

Also there is another white one on the market

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/...SSE-AD-5405436
    Currently:
    Previously:

Fellow Frogger!

Yes I did see that but it's in Tasmania and it has a sun roof. I'm not sure how rare or desirable an original sun roof is but the I've been led to believe that the 205 isn't the most rigid of car and a big sun roof might mean body flex/warp issues in such an old car?

Appreciate any advice on this.

Quote Originally Posted by CEyssens View Post
    ....and another white one here on Aussiefrogs

F/S Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 1988 - TAS
    Currently:
    Previously:

If, as JR says, the white Gumtree one is an ex-AF member, it should be easy enough to do some on-line research on here to find out if it’s a GTI or an Si re-shell, in conjunction with whatever info you may get from the VIN (and what the VIN stamping on the body looks like).

If it’s a GTI it’s easy enough to get second hand side strips shipped over from the UK, or wait until the Peugeot Museum are making them again (next year?).

As far as milage goes, on any car this old I’d be judging it more on condition and evidence of what mechanical work has been done, rather than the number on the odometer. For example, would you prefer a well maintained regularly driven high milage car with evidence of an engine re-build + new suspension or a lower milage car that’s been sat in a shed for 15 years? Or, a high milage country car that’s done it’s miles at highway speeds or a low milage car that’s done 20 years of stop/start Sydney commuting? I’m not saying any of the cars here necessarily fit into these categories, what I’m suggesting is you need to go out, drive the car and find out what history there is before you can make a judgement. Then, if you like it, negotiate.
    dj4llen and ng850 like this.

Fellow Frogger!

I stop counting KMs after 100,000. I never expect a high milage car to be trouble free (especially a Peugeot... learnt that with my 206 GTI may she rest in peace).
    Currently:
    Previously:

Fellow Frogger!

VIN checks out: VF32OCDF201811765

It's obviously a used and abused model in need of TLC. The door dump strips and wheel arches still confound me. Must have been in a prang and fixed cheaply. I need a hobby...
    Currently:
    Previously:

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    No, the Si seats are better, also the GTI ones are mounted too high.
    Is it a rail thing or a seat thing?

Fellow Frogger!

Richard, what you say is correct, but the cloth Quartet seats came on our AM90 models.
    The GTi in question is an AM89 model so should have Monaco.

AU spec GTi's

Series 1 (Phase 1) -> Oct 87 (AM88ish) - its a bit ambiguous at the crossover - Part leather Quattro
    Series 2 (Phase 1.5) Oct 87 (AM88ish) - Jun 89 (AM89) - Monaco seats, DFZ, BE1
    Series 2.5 (Phase 1.75) Jul 89 - Jun 90 (AM90) - Cloth Quartet seats, DFZ, BE3
    Series 3 (Phase 2) July 90 (AM91) -> Mar 94 (AM95) Part Leather Quartet seats, DKZ, BE3

The Series 2.5 is my contribution to distinguish the AM90 model which had a foot in both camps.

Isn't AM91 the first of the phase 2 cars? I thought quartet was offered on the phase 1.5 (or s2 in Aussiefrog speak) which would mean AM90 - or have I got that wrong?
    Last edited by ng850; 5th May 2018 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Feck... Quattro!
    Richard W likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

The knowledge on this forum is tremendously helpful. Thank you. I've decided to pass on the Gumtree car: trim, seats, painted wheels, high KMs and unknown other issues (which are to be expected on a car of this age) means it's likely to be a pain in the backside as much as anything else when I'm simply after a straight drivable 205 to love and cherish. If anyone else is in the market for something to bring back to original condition he's willing to let it go for $5k.
    Currently:
    Previously:

VIP Sponsor

Seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Selekta View Post
    Is it a rail thing or a seat thing?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information