• Register
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By schlitzaugen
  • 1 Post By 1972Ren
  • 1 Post By Demannu

Thread: 7MM bolts

Default 7MM bolts

I recently acquired a twin carb manifold for the 203 and I'm preparing to fit it.
    I need 10 bolts in 7mm with the old fine thread to fit to the side of the head. I need them 30mm long.
    Thought I could get them at the bolt barn in stainless with cap heads.
    However I am told they are unobtanium.
    I have therefore decided to tap them out to 8mm as a last resort but if I can find the right bolts I would prefer to go that way.

Advertisement

Apparently there are such bolts holding Renault gearboxes together, obviously not stainless caps, so that's one possibility though I don't have a paddock full of dead Renaults.
    Anyone know a source ?
    I expect they are available in France somewhere.
    Any clues?

PS I did find some 7mm bolts at a car shop but the thread was very close but not close enough so I am wary of Ebay unless it states the pitch. Does anyone know what the pitch is?
    Last edited by luthier; 19th April 2018 at 12:27 PM.

COL

Luthier

This chart may help you deciding what the pitch is:

https://www.fullerfasteners.com/tech...art-m1-m100-2/

The best way is to use a pitch gauge, it removes all doubt.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Hello,
    Much to my great surprise, I was able to purchase 7mm bolts at Repco and Autobarn....this year. They had the "gold" plated color. I am not sure about the 30mm length though.
    I have also purchase 7mm bolts on e-bay (from UK, Stainless steel)
    Hope that is some help
    Cheers
    Ian
    Blueduck (aka Ian Downie)
    1974 Citroen D Special with DS21i.e. engine and 5 speed gearbox
    MGB GT V8 B.... bullet--proof and great fun
    Jaguar e-type roadster ... on the way from US of A

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Luther, I can help. Would you be ok with 6 bolts and 4 studs slightly longer? I'll email/PM you.

Cheers

Jim

And Bunnings.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

For reference, the ISO 7 mm (M7) thread has a one mm pitch. In addition to the ISO metric series there is one which uses a fine pitch. In the fine series the pitch is 0.75 mm for 7 mm. For some unknown reason a number of French cars (including Peugeot and Bugatti) use the fine seven mm standard in addition to the M series. Most modern automotive manufacturers only use the M series in even sizes (4, 6,8,10 mm etc).

Yes I see there are the 1.0mm pitch bolts easily available.
    I lined one up against mine yesterday at the parts store to find it was not the right thread so it must be the .75mm variant.
    Thanks for the info Commerciale.
    And yes thanks Pug 303, I will take you up on that. Email sent.
    I was just about to go for a ride on my Ducati to the tool shop to have a thread gauge run over it but now I'll stay home and lacquer a few more guitars.
    Wondering why nobody has had some of these produced to supply all us old Frog car nuts. I spose the outlay might take a while to amortize. And you'd need a few different lengths and some studs and nuts as well.
    And who wants to get Chinese ones? Not me.
    Cheers.

Pretty much all you will get will be chinese. And there's nothing wrong with it.

Another option is to go to the US of all places and try Maryland Metrics who have anything you want and then some. It will not be cheap, but they do have cap screws in the size you want.

By the way, you won't find cap screws in M7 in any pitch anywhere in Oz. It's just too niche for us. I know an aeroplane mechanic and he orders his in the US where they are custom made in Titanium. That is how I ended up ordering in the US. I have managed to scavenge a couple of such bolts off bicycles, but asking around at the shops/repair shops they don't use them anymore. It's all M6 and M8 now, probably because of cost.

And I wouldn't use SS anywhere around the head unless you want major headaches down the road (stripped threads, galling, etc). Just go normal/high/whatever you find tensile strength and use some nickel/copper/silver grease.

Studs in M7 will be unobtainium unless you find someone pulling apart a car that has them not sure what that car would be, maybe one like yours? I have seen M7 studs in fine pitch, but they were most likely OEM special orders farmed out by the manufacturer who knows how long ago.

You can of course make your own, which is what I would do. That way you can just make whatever you want to whatever specification you need. You can get the dies and taps (industrial quality) in any size/pitch surprisingly easily, or perhaps not that surprisingly, since I suspect everybody makes their own if they need something not stocked by retailers.
    Beano and Roland like this.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi,
    Regarding working out the thread pitch, if I don't know what it is, I just measure 10 turns of thread with calipers, so the difference between 7.5mm and 10mm is really easy to see.

Andy
    COL likes this.

I went to town and got a thread gauge this arvo[on my Duke] and I discovered the thread pitch is .1mm
    Then I found that they are available fairly cheaply here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/M7x30mm-Bol...item3ace4c2bde
    at a place that supplies scooter parts in UK..
    These bolts are the ones that go into old Pug heads to hold on the water pump and side plates.
    They make them in many sizes, made in Poland. They are nickel plated and look really good.
    So Pug303 could you please hold off posting those to me, I'll send an email as well.
    Cheers,
    Dan

M7x1 is also used on the PRV V6 engine. I bought a box (50) of them a year or two back, with hex heads. I did have to drive across town after hours on the phone trying to track some down. I imagine cap heads would be even harder to find.
    Wildebeest likes this.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Tadpole

Try bunnnings. I got hi-tensile 8.8, 7x35mm hex heads in a packet of 5 from there 18 mths ago. They fit the sump of an f4r 2 litre Renault engine.

Thread Information