307 at 106k miles, tranny oil change or not?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By dcc236
  • 2 Post By N5GTi6
  • 1 Post By pugwash

Thread: 307 at 106k miles, tranny oil change or not?

Tadpole

Default 307 at 106k miles, tranny oil change or not?

Hi newbie here from the UK. Just want to ask, I have a Peugeot 307 1.6v petrol 2007 auto. It has the AL4 "sealed for life
    ". Got it last yr at 97k miles, now has 104k miles. Im torn about having the transmission oil changed or not as garages and also forums say differently. Some say to change it some say dont as it may damage the tranny more. I dont know for sure if the transmission oil has been changed by the previous owner. Would want the car to last at least about 125k miles. No flush for sure, but would transmission oil change be really detrimental at this age or not? As of the moment the tranny still shifts fine. I know this has been asked before here but I would really want the nail on the coffin on my question. Thanks!

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Yes, do it!
    I did a gearbox oil change in our 2006 Pug 307 cc 2L with the same gearbox earlier this year. Totally changed the way the car drove and quality of gear changes improved 200%.

I learnt long ago after many years of Audi, VW and BMW ownership: "Sealed for Life" = term of the warranty period.
    BIGRR likes this.

Tadpole

Cheers for the reply buddy. So it doesnt hurt the transmission even if it might not have been changed before? As there are some varying infos about mileage and if auto gearbox service has been done. Would want to change it if its safe prior to it hitting 105k or 106k miles if safe

Fellow Frogger!

Changing oil in engines and gearboxes has been the standard for many years to enhance the longevity of those parts. Years ago we used to grease (lubricate) some joints and bushes etc for the same reason. If you didn't you'd wind up having to replace the unit due to wear, and the same will apply to your auto box ; when it starts to misbehave badly it will be too late. If you could thoroughly clean the oil of impurities by using a centrifugal filter and then have it tested for ongoing use you would be able to continue with using it and then you won't have to worry about the transmission oil change being detrimental at all.
    "Sealed for Life" - when it dies it will have reached the end of its life.

1000+ Posts

I would change it ,but b aware that it wont all drain out in one go ,do a search by printing al4 at the top right of this page were it says search then press enter ,every thing u need to know about the oil change ,will be there and then some ,ring the oil manufacturer for there recommendation of oil type ,dont ask blogs at the parts place ,pugs ,

I'm impressed - you've got 170K km's out of an AL4 without an oil change ! We need more threads like this about the AL4 !!!! They're not all bad news !

Change the oil now. You'll need at least 3 'changes' of oil as you only 'change' about 1/3 each time due to the volume of oil retained in the torque converter.

Make sure you check the oil level with the engine running, gearbox warm and the car on level ground - not angled up on ramps.

Cheers

Justin
    dimistyle and Haakon like this.
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

1000+ Posts

YES GOOD NEWS ,THE NUMBER OF Ks ,ISN'T NECESSARILY RELEVANT TO WEAR ,OR DETERIORATION OF OIL AS, HOW AND WERE [COUNTY /CITY ] ITS DRIVEN ARE ALSO A MAJOR FACTOR ,I'M THINKING THE OIL IN A U.K. CAR MAY EXPERIENCE A LOT LESS HEAT STRESS THAN THE ONES DOWN HERE ,TO ME CHANGING OIL IS CHEEP MAINTENANCE ,AS OPPOSED TO WAITING FOR THE INEVITABLE .PUGS
    Roland likes this.

Tadpole

Cheers for the reply guys. I myself am amazed that my puggy still is going strong. And I would want it to last longer. Thanks for all the input guys!

Tadpole

Oil replaced. So far so good, oil was not that black surprisingly but no particulates or sort on it even with the mileage. Question though, do I need to reset codes or stuff with pp2000? As i dont have that. Thanks.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by PepotUK View Post
    Oil replaced. So far so good, oil was not that black surprisingly but no particulates or sort on it even with the mileage. Question though, do I need to reset codes or stuff with pp2000? As i dont have that. Thanks.
    Well done. Mine had done 140,000 and the oil was black.

I didn't, however to set the correct level you need to have the gearbox oil temp between 60-70 degrees. I used Lexia to get temp before ensuring the gearbox had the correct amount of oil.

Tadpole

Cheers buddy. Just curious, what oil did you use though?

https://www.penriteoil.com.au/applic...tf-fs-full-syn

This is the fluid of choice here, but doubt you'd get it there. Just use a good full synthetic fluid that adheres to the LT 71141 specification.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    https://www.penriteoil.com.au/applic...tf-fs-full-syn

This is the fluid of choice here, but doubt you'd get it there. Just use a good full synthetic fluid that adheres to the LT 71141 specification.
    Thanks. Yeah I tried to look for Penrite here but to no avail. I tried looking for the Esso L71141 too but cant find it anywhere (needs shipping from somewhere far). I ended up using a fully synthetic oil Dexron VI but with the cST at 40c a bit lower than for L71141. It shows on its product manual that it is recommended for Esso L71141 trannys. Is that fine? Im planning to do the oil change every 12k miles anyway because of the age of the tranny.
    Last edited by PepotUK; 20th April 2018 at 04:24 PM.

Thread Information