• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Clunk in front left somewhere

Tadpole

Default Clunk in front left somewhere

Hi everybody

i have done a bit of reading and seems like others have had clunks in the front end and usually itís the bottom arm bushes.

I am getting a knock which is most noticeable when taking off or coming to a stop. Itís just a single clunk. I would award it was the gearbox month but itís perfect. Have had mechanics look over it and they canít see anything. Iíve replaced all front bushes except for sway bar but they are fine. I have new shocks as well as new discs and pads. Other engine mounts are fine. CV joints feel ok there is no knocking when cornering. I have also replaced the exhaust coupling at the exhaust manifold as that was knacked. Still no good. The car has done close to 400,000ks so going well but this is very very annoying. Anyone have any other ideas???

Advertisement

thanks
    Marcus

Tadpole

Oops a few auto corrects that went wrong.

...swear it was gearbox Mount....

1000+ Posts

What model is it?

FWD cars have 3 engine mounts to take the torque reaction from the wheels - don't forget the bottom one near the drive shafts.

If it's high up, I'd take a look at the bearing at the top of the McPherson strut. They thunk when worn and the horizontal load changes direction at start and stop.

Fellow Frogger!

I'm guessing engine mount too... Depends on what car though!

Fellow Frogger!

Your symptoms sound a bit like an issue I am about to fix. If you can reveal what it is that you drive there is a chance of moving forward.

Cheers

I just looked at his past posts and he has a:

"306 sedan XT with the 2litre twin cam 16v 2000 model. It's been a great family car and coming up on 380,000k's. Still goes really well".

Tadpole

Hi yes sorry it’s a 306 2litre 16v sedan

You can't tell by looking to evaluate the swaybar links. Once you pull them out you can see if they are not tight. Any slop will cause nasty clunks. I've just replaced both sides on my 406HDI and I also did the lower balljoint on the driver's side. That is also hard to diagnose as you need to get a jemmy bar in the right spot while it's on a hoist before you can see movement. Best diagnosed at a Pug repair shop. Coles in Lismore diagnosed mine. They are superb at finding stuff that is not easy for the home guy. Now I have No more clunks.

Lower control arms get noisy as well thanks for the guessing game first up 😂

Tadpole

Hi thanks for that yeah lower arms are all brand new. I haven’t done drop links will pull off again and check but they feel ok. Only things then I guess are engine mounts? They look fine and with pry bar and rocking engine still look ok. Maybe worth just changing them anyway?

Clunk in front left somewhere

..is the family cat accounted for?

1000+ Posts

Some have reported the driver's side upper engine mount tearing out of the body on the 2 litres. But I assume you mean left side of the car as you sit in it rather than left as you're looking at the engine?

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Brake caliper?

Tadpole

It sounds like left ie passenger side.
    DJVU brake caliper? Not bolted on?

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusG116 View Post
    It sounds like left ie passenger side.
    DJVU brake caliper? Not bolted on?
    Could be loose mounting bolts but unlikely. Depending on caliper Style sometimes slide pins become worn and the caliper will clunk when braking and possibly when taking off. Worth a look if you have checked everything else.

Droplinks 9 times out of 10

even if they 'feel ok' there can be wear in them.

There cheap and easy to replace. 5 minutes per side

Tadpole

Ok so I have changed the drop links. The old ones felt fine but bought new ones so changed anyway. Still not fixed!!!
    could it be CV joint maybe? There is a bit of play when in gear and rock wheel back and forth but not a clunk like my sound? I’m really at a loss on this one.
    Brake caliper has a tiny bit of movement on sliding bolt but don’t think it’s that. Any other ideas??

1000+ Posts

Ok. 306, high mileage, not drop links. That only leaves the bushes on the bottom wishbone/control arm, and the top strut bearing. Check that one. I have seen them shot at 50,000 km.

Tadpole

I didn’t change them when I replaced the strut so I will look at them. Wouldn’t you see the strut move if it was gone though?

Tadpole

I have done bottom arms

My money sez it's the callipers. It may not feel like there's much play but they don't need much to clunk like that. Have someone in the car apply the brakes with the car on jacks or stands, grab the wheel and try to turn. You'll see what's what then.

Or stop the car right next to an assistant with good ears. They should be able to tell if the clunk comes from the top of the strut or somewhere lower, like the calliper.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

^ Good advice.

Tadpole

I will get my wife to drive it and stop etc and I will listen. I really think it’s the gearbox mount but it looks good and can’t get it to hit using pry bar! Will see if I am hear where it come from. Will let you all know what I find

Good luck with that. Sometimes you can tell exactly where noises are coming from, sometimes they travel around and appear to be coming from other places. A very experienced Pug mechanic told me this on at least two occasions when I was tracking down noises.
    He had a couple of amazing stories of experiences to illustrate this but I can't remember them.

You'd think that the pry bar would reveal movement....that's what they use in garages. And I have been told by a couple of garages using this method that certain bushes were worn out when they were worn but still serviceable.

Good idea though to have your wife drive, but whilst you contort around upside down in the back seat with legs flailing I hope nobody thinks you are being kidnapped.

Quote Originally Posted by Beano View Post
    Good luck with that. Sometimes you can tell exactly where noises are coming from, sometimes they travel around and appear to be coming from other places. A very experienced Pug mechanic told me this on at least two occasions when I was tracking down noises.
    He had a couple of amazing stories of experiences to illustrate this but I can't remember them.

You'd think that the pry bar would reveal movement....that's what they use in garages. And I have been told by a couple of garages using this method that certain bushes were worn out when they were worn but still serviceable.

Good idea though to have your wife drive, but whilst you contort around upside down in the back seat with legs flailing I hope nobody thinks you are being kidnapped.
    Perhaps my point was not clear enough. The person listening tp the noise needs to be outside the car, that is why I said:
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information