• Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By leothepug
  • 1 Post By GreenBlood

Thread: 308 Diesel Lemon.

Fellow Frogger!

Default 308 Diesel Lemon.

Hi Fellow Puggers.
    I bought my daughter a real stinker of a 2010 308 HDi. The starter gave up very soon after; fixed relatively painlessly. It was needing the coolant reservoir topped up every 2days/100ks. The thing the started doing 0-100kph in 3.4 days. On some days it did it in less than 2 days. We were overtaken uphills by 4 yr olds on plastic trikes. It is the biggest piece of shit Peugeot l've ever seen.

The non-dealer took it to 'his' Indian non-mechanics (not racism but a fact) who appeared to have failed yr 9 English and Science. I deduced this when my daughter brought it the 3kms back home with no coolant in the reservoir at all. I remonstrated with him say what don't you understand about the word "minimum"? He looked like he was a contestant on the new tv show called, "Existing Without a Brain".

He finally got Coles to diagnose a leaky EGR Coolant thingo. That's been replaced but vehicle is still losing coolant. My Lismore mechanic has had it on a pressure test all night indicating no loss. Yet when we have the car it loses coolant again. I feel like l'm Dr Smith and I'm the only one seeing the "Green Lady". There is no cross contaminating between coolant and oil.

Now the anti-pollution stuff is malfunctioning and the car has now turned into a rocket. It is accelerating almost as fast as my former wife's 307 180 Sport!

Anyone got an idea not involving a chain and a boat?

Advertisement
    Stuey likes this.

I can only make a comment. . .

The car is not a lemon but can't say the same about those servicing. A pressure test will not necessarily pick up a leak beyond the thermostat which won't open until it reaches the correct temp. I think the car needs the attention of someone that knows what they are doing and have the correct gear for diagnosis.

Cheers
    Chris
    pug206gti likes this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Just a thought.
    If it has the RHH diesel there are a few points of potential leaks . The EGR, the intercooler(I think) and the oil filter have coolant connecting pipes all fed by the engine cooling radiator. If any work has been carried out to the front of the car these pipes can be dislodged by ham fisted mechanics. Check down the front passenger side of the engine bay. There are several pipes in this area associated with the cooling system. The leak point should become obvious when the thermostat opens up. One of these pipes was dislodged during a respray of my front bumper (it was removed). Thank goodness the overheating warning system save me from a very expensive repair.
    I replaced the original part that had plug in connectors at either end, with standard 12mm (I think) heater hose. It fitted perfectly over the plug in connectors. I have a 2010 C5.
    Allan.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    I can only make a comment. . .

The car is not a lemon but can't say the same about those servicing. A pressure test will not necessarily pick up a leak beyond the thermostat which won't open until it reaches the correct temp. I think the car needs the attention of someone that knows what they are doing and have the correct gear for diagnosis.

Cheers
    Chris
    Coles is the Peugeot Dealer in Lismore. They diagnosed the EGR leaking. Either that was 'one' of the problems and there is yet another leak.
    My mecho is pretty good at his job identified the diesel pump failing. This was indicated by the fuel having metallic bits in the filter.

Of course the dealer is not happy about this. I am out of the warranty period but all these issues were flagged in the warranty period.

Maybe l will have to take it back to Coles and get them to assess its difficulties more thoroughly. It maybe that l need to take it to Bill in Canberra.

I have owned Pugs since 88/89 and this is a piece of crap. It goes like a scolded cat now but the the dash is now telling us there is an engine management fault. My 404 Ute, LTi 504, 3(of4) of my 505 sedans, GTi 505, 306 XSi, 307 180 Sport and my SRDT 405 collectively gave me less trouble.

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by leothepug View Post
    I am out of the warranty period but all these issues were flagged in the warranty period.

Maybe l will have to take it back to Coles and get them to assess its difficulties more thoroughly. It maybe that l need to take it to Bill in Canberra.
    I hope the dealer looks after you as they should!
    Once sorted you should have a nice car, sadly all 'moderns' now require more that belt and fluid changes like our classics. The trade off for safety and lower emissions. . .

I admire your loyalty to the marque

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

1000+ Posts

Which engine is it (see digits 6,7,8 in the VIN)?

If the HP pump is shedding metal, the bits shouldn't have a path to the filter. Rubbish on the inlet side of the filter came from the tank.

Fellow Frogger!

The mecho knows his stuff. The pump disintegration evidence was registered AFTER the pump. He builds race motors as well. I've also seen what he means. Verifying this was the Peugeot Dealer (Coles) in saying that is has been seen on these engines before.

The car-dealer's [alleged] mechanic had no idea and couldn't own upto that fact; re the coolant loss issue.

As soon as you sort it out get rid of it! I had two (brand new lemon which the dealer very reluctantly replaced with another new one with Peugot's help) and that transmission collapsed on the way home. Engine block was warped and it leaked fluids from day one. They are JUNK! Buy her a Renault.
    I might act like an idiot, and I might look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you: I really AM an idiot!

Quote Originally Posted by leothepug View Post
    I feel like l'm Dr Smith and I'm the only one seeing the "Green Lady".
    Wow, that dates you. There must be lots of people our age who can still her saying "Dr Smiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiith" from outside the Jupiter 2.

Years later I think that she re-appeared in her spacesuit as the Silver Lady in the film clip of Video Killed the Radio Star. There is a strong resemblance, and only about 14 years apart.

Fellow Frogger!

Now it has become obvious its the water pump. A different leak to the EGR which was evidenced by the exhaust having a coolant vapour. This actually has a definite coolant trail. The gauge has changed behavoiurs. Allied to this is a 'backing-up' of coolant in reservoir.

Also anti-pollution is malfunctioning and now it goes like a rocket!

Thread Information