Peugeot 306 Indicator shaft
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Peugeot 306 Indicator shaft

Could someone help clarify something for me about replacing the indicator shaft on a 306 2.0 Rallye (believe it's a 2001 but don't have exact details at hand)?

I've inherited my daughter's car, which is in very good nick for its age. Unfortunately, just recently the indicator stopped working. I took it into the shop for a service and was told that a replacement part was $550. I'm not disputing that it might cost this to replace, but as that's a significant % of the the car's value, I wasn't sure if it was worth it to me to replace. I had a look online and found great differences in the costs of indicator shafts, mainly because some also include the wiper shaft. It wasn't clear from the details whether these were suitable for my particular model/year or not. Which is why I'm here!

I also looked to see if it were possible to replace the unit myself (well, my husband), or if it was something that was best to leave to the professionals. Husband is adept at motorcycle maintenance and other mechanical things, so I'm not afraid of letting him loose on the car.

If there is a particular part number or even a suggestion about where to acquire (have looked through eBay) the part, that would be great to know. Your collective knowledge on the matter would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisement

Thanks - Ann

Fellow Frogger!

I can't remember exactly the cost or the process but I changed the indicator stalk on my MY00 306. It took about 30 mins and a few torx screws to undo.
    I think the part was $85 from Peugeot, but that was years ago. It's definitely DIY. Maybe look around on eBay as prices in the UK are vastly cheaper even with shipping.

Itís possible to repair the indicator - it may be down to wear on the contacts.

Requires a bit of patience, fine abrasive paper and contact grease. Rotating the copper cap may help too

The spring loaded copper cap (pic 1)

has a groove worn in it from sliding along the metal plate (pic 2)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
    Itís possible to repair the indicator - it may be down to wear on the contacts.

Requires a bit of patience, fine abrasive paper and contact grease. Rotating the copper cap may help too

The spring loaded copper cap (pic 1)

has a groove worn in it from sliding along the metal plate (pic 2)

Do the indicators work intermittently and/or one way but not the other? Tends to point to the indicator switch.
    Other thing to check is if itís the indicator relay - behind the panel where the fuses are (near drivers knee).

Tadpole

I think it's beyond repair, as it only indicates right, not left. It actually feels as if it's the mechanism itself, not any sort of contact or electrical problem. It simply doesn't move up or down - if you tap it up, the indicator goes on, but doesn't turn off after turning the corner, and to get it to go off, you have to gently coax it into the right position.

I have delayed getting the replacement part as I haven't had to drive the car. But I'll be using it more soon, so will replace it.

Thanks again for your insights!

Thread Information