Yearning for a 203 ?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Yearning for a 203 ?

Default Yearning for a 203 ?

A very nice example on Carsales..beautiful black one. Seems reasonably priced to me too. Another sample on there too of
    a similar ilk. Aaah, what I could buy if I had. a spare $50k...a
    shed full of classic pugs....

Advertisement

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

i am yearning, yes - so when i find them, i won't share links either.
    Thanks for the heads up though.
    ps if i knew emoji i would indicate jocular intent...
    grandC4picasso RHB, [email protected] , EGS6Sp, B58, MY 2012-2013 (?)

Damn , that car sold for nearly $20K around 2010 in Brisbane, sold as a wedding car. Sad to see it has dropped so much.
    It doesn't look quite as good as it did but the paint is two pack and holding nicely and the interior was done well and still looks good.
    Just shows how worthless these cars are in the Ozzie market. So if you had $50K and invested in a shed full of old Pugs you'd likely be wasting your money. Really pisses me off.
    Now Pugbaz, you mention another in a similar ilk? Can you be more specific?

Actually after another look it seems to have been maintained as it was. It's easily identified by the colours and the incorrect indicators front and back. A very nice car in my opinion. Maybe an investment at $12K.
    Last edited by luthier; 24th March 2018 at 12:21 PM.
    hurricane likes this.

OK I couldn't find that link before. Yes I think that's my friend's ex car that he sold for $12K and it's rattling around reselling for about the same.
    That car has a dark green[teal] two pack paint job, totally immaculate, and original interior done exceptionally well,[I'm thinking Bazza Moran, but that may be wrong] and it goes maybe a little harder than mine , though on a par, with a stock standard 203 engine and setup. I can find out more history on it if anyone is interested, send me a PM and I'll get the goss from my mate who owned it and knows some of the history. But though I have no interest in it I can say I went there to see it when it was for sale and my mate bought it and subsequently did the last Redex thing in it though he went the wrong way round, but that's another story.

Authoritative source corroborates it's the Basil Moran restoration, Dan, also that it's a '51.
    Advertised in (iirc) Tewantin, February last year with
    ..."electronic ignition and genuine new distributor"...sic

Yearning for a 203 ?-%24_20-2.jpg

Notably, above mileage shows it reversed from Sunshine Coast to Gippsland - the 'wrong' way, again, maybe - but impressive, given 203A rear-vision.
    Last edited by fnqvmuch; 25th March 2018 at 04:27 AM.

My “spare $50 k”. Would go on a 203, a 403, a 504 and a 406 man
    coupe. Maybe the leftover change would get me a little 306 cc.
    I didn’t mention “investment”, as I won’t be around long enough for
    much appreciation..but, the right cars will be worth a fortune to my
    Grandkids in 30/40 years...and some really good classic pugs will still
    be around.....yep, just dreaming..
    People buy cars as an investment?. What rubbish. nearly half the purchase price of a new one is gone in about 4 years.
    Might have something to do with why I have never bought one, or am
    I naturally mean or maybe frugal.

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

Fellow Frogger!

Alright you 203 fantasists ........ Time to get real! If you want to get your hands on a cracker of a collection Bob Nelson's brace of 203' s are back on the market after the previous "buyer" stuffed everyone about (as they do!) These cars are all totally rust free and rock solid. Except for the renowned "Roger Rocket" thay are also either totally original or damn near. While Roger is ready for immediate lift off the rest need a little minor tinkering . One is a complete station wagon all there and as straight as a die but in undercoat ,(including the chassis). This will require the doors and glass re-installed (it's all there) and seats, trim and carpets ditto.All you really need to buy is some two pac......Oh Okay, buy enamel;see if I care!!! The other (1948) original needs the front guards put back on having had the front end reco'ed and brakes upgraded recently by Bob. Bob now sports a failed shoulder reconstruction and would like the funds to buy a 403 pretty much ready to go as he cannot physically do justice to the 203's. He is prepared to sell all three to a true enthusiast for $7,500. NOW GO AND DO THE MATHS! Where are you going to find truly good 203's for that price? A heap of spares and sundries are also up for grabs so have a chat @ Bob Nelson2. This is as close to winning the lottery as you are going to get!!!
    You can talk to Bob anytime by sending a PM and he will send you the photos. You may make offers on individual ones if you wish but Bob prefers to sell as a collection............ after all what use are three great 203's to a bloke with one arm?

Quote Originally Posted by DeeCee View Post
    Alright you 203 fantasists ........ Time to get real! If you want to get your hands on a cracker of a collection Bob Nelson's brace of 203' s are back on the market after the previous "buyer" stuffed everyone about (as they do!) These cars are all totally rust free and rock solid. Except for the renowned "Roger Rocket" thay are also either totally original or damn near. While Roger is ready for immediate lift off the rest need a little minor tinkering . One is a complete station wagon all there and as straight as a die but in undercoat ,(including the chassis). This will require the doors and glass re-installed (it's all there) and seats, trim and carpets ditto.All you really need to buy is some two pac......Oh Okay, buy enamel;see if I care!!! The other (1948) original needs the front guards put back on having had the front end reco'ed and brakes upgraded recently by Bob. Bob now sports a failed shoulder reconstruction and would like the funds to buy a 403 pretty much ready to go as he cannot physically do justice to the 203's. He is prepared to sell all three to a true enthusiast for $7,500. NOW GO AND DO THE MATHS! Where are you going to find truly good 203's for that price? A heap of spares and sundries are also up for grabs so have a chat @ Bob Nelson2. This is as close to winning the lottery as you are going to get!!!
    You can talk to Bob anytime by sending a PM and he will send you the photos. You may make offers on individual ones if you wish but Bob prefers to sell as a collection............ after all what use are three great 203's to a bloke with one arm?
    That's remarkable at that price.

Sent from my MYA-L22 using aussiefrogs mobile app

What's Roger Rocket got under the bonnet?

Astonishingly cheap. I rest my case, these cars are totally undervalued in Oz.

Makes you sick seeing rusty project XP falcons going for $15K.

Quote Originally Posted by fnqvmuch View Post
    i am yearning, yes - so when i find them, i won't share links either.
    Thanks for the heads up though.
    ps if i knew emoji i would indicate jocular intent...
    IMO anyone who "yearns for any "toy" is destined to pay too much.
    Dano likes this.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Fellow Frogger!

Default rodger rocket

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post
    What's Roger Rocket got under the bonnet?

Astonishingly cheap. I rest my case, these cars are totally undervalued in Oz.

Makes you sick seeing rusty project XP falcons going for $15K.

Hi Luthier,

Rodger had a blower on it , have since taken it off, but is available if someone is interested

cheers bob.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Luthier: Yes, these wonderful cars ARE totally undervalued here which is something I've never understood. These were the "Redex" winners that first captured the attention of the masses and established the marque in OZ. Bob's cars are both good , and cheap , as he attempts to meet the market in order to move on........he is nothing if not a realist! Hopefully someone will see that occasionally the goose can still lay a golden egg!
    Dano likes this.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post
    Damn , that car sold for nearly $20K around 2010 in Brisbane, sold as a wedding car. Sad to see it has dropped so much.
    It doesn't look quite as good as it did but the paint is two pack and holding nicely and the interior was done well and still looks good.
    Just shows how worthless these cars are in the Ozzie market. So if you had $50K and invested in a shed full of old Pugs you'd likely be wasting your money. Really pisses me off.
    Now Pugbaz, you mention another in a similar ilk? Can you be more specific?

Actually after another look it seems to have been maintained as it was. It's easily identified by the colours and the incorrect indicators front and back. A very nice car in my opinion. Maybe an investment at $12K.
    I'm looking to buy said black 203. Will be my first 203. Not an investment, rather an object of beauty. Any advice for a 203 newbie. My main concern is sourcing parts. I'm sure I'll have more questions if and when I buy it. Apparently it is with a mechanic having the water pump 'fixed'. Judging by the engine no. and chassis no. it is a 1949 chassis and 1955 engine.
    Mike Tippett likes this.

Beware shiny paint. I feel that this car has received the attention of someone who has never seen an original 203 (and thinks that all old cars should have whitewall tires). Fair chance this could be a so called professional restoration using bits available to hand.

Looking at the outside, the VW indicators on the front and rear guards do it no favors. This model should have chrome strips on the top of the front guards. The hubcaps are post 1958 403/404 commercial and the exhaust emerges on the wrong side - the muffler should be transverse behind the rear bumper. Careful attention need to be given to any rust rectification undertaken in the sills and floors - there could be bodging here.

The interior, optimistically described as "nearly original" has the ambience of a sailor's rest home in Tangier. The dash and doors should be brown and the control knobs should be opaline plastic -not sure what they have been replaced with but they possibly could be chrome cupboard knobs. The wooden gear lever knob is novel and what appears to be a cupboard for a stereo reflects rather poor taste. And the red carpet!! Rubber mats please. Added to this the steering wheel is post-1952 and fitted upside down to boot.

Under the bonnet it looks like some genius has been at work converting the radiator to a pressurized system - possibly in vain hope of dealing with overheating. Who knows what other bodges have been undertaken here. I would be highly suspicious of "a mechanic dealing with the water pump". There are two ways of doing this - fit a kit (not generally available) or a new later style pump available from France for a couple of hundred dollars. I doubt that your average "mechanic" would be aware of these options.

Parts availability is the least of your worries. Various suppliers in France and Germany have the 203 well covered. All you need is a good supply of Euros. What you do need is a comprehensive knowledge of what to expect from a 203. Positives are good handling and ride. But you will need to modify your driving style to compensate for a lack of torque - wind them up to a comfortable cruising speed and anticipate road conditions at least a kilometer ahead. A further disadvantage with this model is the lack synchromesh on first gear - you would be surprised who often you need that ratio in normal driving.

Just my two cents worth- caveat emptor.
    59 Floride, fnqvmuch and IWS like this.

Tadpole

Thanks for the advice Commerciale. Appreciated. See it's had a few likes, so others in the forum agree.

From what I've seen so far, there are a few of these Frankenstein examples that won't appeal to the purist. I'll be carefully inspecting the chassis and lower body for the quality of restoration.

I'm familiar with lack of power and no synchro. I used to have a Fiat 1100 1960. Driving that car, you'd dream of the space and comfort of driving a Peugeot. Which is what I did with a 504.

I'm not in a position to do a body restoration project myself, with either time or skill. For now I'd prefer to buy and maintain a good example, or pay someone to do the bodywork.

There's a 203 for sale in Canberra, on Aussiefrogs:
    Peugeot 203 for sale
    Past Frogs:
    Alpine White 1967 R10 (round eye)
    Alpine White 1972 R16TS
    Blue 1978 Virage Wagon

Fellow Frogger!

That is a very good car and well worth the asking price.

Quote Originally Posted by ianrobbo View Post
    That is a very good car and well worth the asking price.
    I agree that Blue car would be a better option than the Black one at the moment. Although the seats aren't original [ which is a bonus as the originals are painful] the blue car has twin carbs so will go up hills a little better than standard.
    I am getting closer to fitting twin carbs and extractors to mine as I find the gutless nature of these cars is beyond my limits of tolerance and makes for stress, as far as I am concerned.
    I am not wanting a race car but a moderate power increase that allows it to sail up hills without slowing down would be a joyful thing.
    It was really interesting to look at the cars that went in the most recent Redex rerun because there were few that weren't fairly modified to go better.
    Personally I think the future of these cars is going to be their bodies teamed up with a nice electric motor. Thus if you can find one with nice paint, all rust removed, and very good interior then the old motor can always be tricked up until eventually it gets that electric thing happening.
    As far as the Black car goes it's obviously wrong in authentic terms so the traditional nazis will hound you for having Vdub tail lights, Catshamlet would roll in his grave laughing, but I thought they did a pretty nice job on that inside and out. Though I only ever saw the ad, never in person , so it's quite possible it was below par in aspects that are not visible without close inspection.
    Motors for these are still available as are all the parts to make them go. So I wouldn't totally count the Black one out till you can weigh everything up..

VIP Sponsor

Mine is totally standard and is great to drive.

Tadpole

Thanks for the advice Luthier. I tend to agree that the future of classic cars will be electric, but may be some time off for the Australian market. There are several businesses providing conversions e.g. eDrive Retro, although I haven't seen an Australian business. There's an opportunity for someone to build a franchise in Australia.

Interested to hear if anyone has tried putting a Classic Fuel Injection or similar system on a 203 or 403 motor, and what the results were. They claim 82bhp from a 404 engine. The blue 203 already has the 403 engine, and with fuel injection would be twice the power of the standard 203 engine (but still less than my 800cc motorcycle). I'm getting ahead of myself. Looking forward to taking the 203 journey one step at a time.

VIP Sponsor

I got 105 hp from a 1600cc 403 engine with twin side draft Webers, same as 1600 Lotus Twin Cam. Went harder than a S1 205 GTi but harsh. My 1290 cc 203 is much more pleasant to drive, even the 1500cc 403 motor is harsh compared to a 203. I don't think power matters that much but putting up with noise and harshness is not nice. I'm presently optimising the engine in my 1966 404. New rings/bearings, bore hone and head reco, Higher compression XC6 pistons and camshaft, less lift but more timing that the earlier one. Reco carby, new distributor, light flywheel, small fan. It will go very well without any hotup mods.

The standard state of the art big power boost is the 1600 bored out engine with the hot cam, which will cost round $3500 to $4000 just for the engine.
    We did have a guy on this forum a few years back who fitted a 505 engine into a 203. His nom de plume was Catshamlet and sadly he passed away after this magnificent modification. It ended up being halfway 505 and 203 with complete 505 running gear and even interior.
    So it lost the original feel of a 203 but had the external look, though he also fitted VW tail lights which perhaps the Black car mentioned above was inspired by.
    Then round my neck of the woods we have Damian Jenkins who I am told runs a Mazda Rotary engine in his very fast 203.
    A friend of mine who drives a Convertible Merc SLK sumpthing or other, who is also a bit of a lead foot saw the alleged light blue 203 with roll cage come out from a side street and proceed rather briskly to the next set of lights. Malcolm who is no slouch thought he would show this old car upstart how a machine should accelerate but imagine his surprise when the old blue beauty left him for dead and then disappeared round the next bend while Malcolm was trying very hard to keep up.
    I remember back in the day that Pugs went way better than VW's and I'm thinking that's still true, but these days we generally want a bit more than that. It's why these cars don't cut it with the masses because they can't understand the subtlety of a great handling 4 cylinder that gets by on it's poise and handling and lightness as opposed to it's power.
    But bottom line for me is the compromise of a bit more power with the old style engine which means the twin carbs and extractors for me at this stage. But as I haven't done it yet and Graham has done it plenty of times we should probably take his word and just go the cam and lightened flywheel and high comp pistons, though for the life of me I can't work out how all that is not hotup mods.

VIP Sponsor

Cam and pistons are stock just from a later model, so properly sorted by Peugeot Sall fan (half a Morris Minor unit) is free power and light flywheel will improve response. Brian Amey drove my 404 of the time with similar engine in the 2006 Ampol Rerun to 3rd outright, nobody could believe it was a stock 1600. The cam for that one was from an XC7, which was the detuned late model 1600, go figure.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Hurricane; There are many 203's getting about with 403 engines. It is a common and easily done upgrade when the original gets tired. It is, after all ,fundamentally the same motor with "improvements" and 300 cc larger in capacityin round figures. My '56 203c for example sports a1963 403B engine , gear box and brakes and is a wonderfully "peppy" all day cruiser. However, on paper I would surmise that the blue one from Canberra , having a twin carbie and balanced, 403 donk would be the better car. It looks to be beautifully done and kept and would be the one I would be purchasing if I was still looking. Also don't forget that performance is about far more than total cc's! You need a sound and correct drive train to be able to apply that power and put it on the ground....... after all you don't want to start building a collection of broken axles and still smoking brakes do you? Listen to the advice of blokes like Graham Wallace, Bob Nelson, Ian Robbo and the like and contact your state Peugeot Club for a chat if you want sound advice..... There's plenty of it on "Frogs" also of course!! As for fuel injection.............. Why? (See Preceding comment!)
    Naturally,the only thing you'll get plenty of is free, unasked for (and often conflicting) advice........See? I just gave you some!
    Cheers mate and happy future 203 fun.There's still some very good ones out there just be VERY aware of rust and remember................... When everything else is equal listen to the heart AND YOUR MISSUS!
    Dano likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information