• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By BIGRR
  • 1 Post By David S

Thread: Help needed

Default Help needed

Hi All

I'm hoping someone is able to give me some guidance on how best to remove the rubber boot from the front passenger side for the tie-rod end without damaging the rubber housing? It's a smaller rubber housing than what was on the drivers side.
    I have attached some photos so you can see the part that I mean. Do I need to loosen the three bolts off (2 are 17mm hex ends and the other which is further from the drivers side is a start shaped Alan key for what I believe is the drive shaft)

Thanks in advance

Jordan

Advertisement

Help needed-img_8223.jpgHelp needed-img_8224.jpgHelp needed-img_8225.jpgHelp needed-img_8226.jpg

Fellow Frogger

The rack gaiter is in two pieces on the left, but only one on the right side. The boot that is split has a metal ring inside the large end and you can prise it out of the end of the rack. It is tapped into the outer face of the part with the stud that the ram fits onto, i.e. the part you have partly removed. You only need to uncouple the outer tie-rod end and slip the boot along the rod. The small end slips into a small recess in the rod. Clean debris off the rod and use a little lubricant to make it easier to slide along. There is no need to uncouple the ram unless you are changing the inner part of the left boot or a ram bush. To uncouple the tie-rod end, prise the large end of the boot out, mark the position of the tie rod end and unscrew the tie-rod end by turning the rod. Then you can slip the old boot along the rod to replace it.

Watch the bit with the greased plastic bag (at 2min 30 sec). Never seen this before and did not know how far these boot would stretch.

https://www.google.com.au/imgres?img...act=mrc&uact=8
    David S likes this.
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Fellow Frogger

That might work on the RH side of a RHD rack and maybe the inner part of the left side, but it can't work at the left outer part. I don't know if it would go over the ram post on the left side without unscrewing the inner tie-rod knuckle. For the small outer boot on the left, the big end can't stretch at all and I can't see the small end stretching enough to pass the outer tie-rod end knuckle. Also, when I've tried aftermarket generic boots, they never quite fit as well or easily as the factory design. I struggled for ages with one generic rubber boot as it just wouldn't stay on the end of the rack housing. The factory type boot just slips over a ridge and stays put.
    Last edited by David S; 21st March 2018 at 11:48 PM.
    BIGRR likes this.

1000+ Posts

Soaking the boot in boiling water also improves its flexibility .an old table spoon leant up against the thread of the the ram post eases the boots passage over it ,silicone spray helps as well `i used this method on my 405 many moons ago ,couldn't believe it stretched over the ra m post ,pugs

Tadpole

I used a 505 rack boot on the inner LH side and slipped it over the protruding ram bolt and I was worried I might split the boot. Did it with the rack out of car, it was an effort but, but would be easy if you know how to separate the ram bolt. I don't know how.
    The outer LH boot is easy to replace but buy a replacement boot first as they are harder to buy now.

Thread Information