• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cam85

Thread: 205 heads

Fellow Frogger!

Default 205 heads

Hi all,

Looking to get a head “built” for my 205SI so that I can swap heads over on a weekend and not have the car off the road too long. It currently has leaky valve stem seals.

Advertisement

This means sourcing a second head to have machined etc.

Can I use a head off a GTI or must it be an SI head?

Thanks

Apparently the can be replaced in situ?

Cam
    amcc likes this.

Apparently the can be replaced in situ?

Cam

Fellow Frogger!

After reading that, now I’m even more set on finding a second head!

The heads themselves are physically identical. I have seen differences in valve springs however, meaning a GTi cam could make Si springs go solid. Thus if you bought an Si head as a replacement for your GTi, with the intention of swapping it over, I'd be very careful.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

I'm assuming a GTi cam + springs... complete head assembly wouldn't give the single point injection too much drama.

Tadpole

I just compared a GTI head with a SI head and can't see any difference except that the GTI cam had a higher lift. I had two bent valves so I used 2 valves from a high mileage SI head. They fitted perfectly, lapped in, in 2 minutes and the cam follower clearances were exactly the same. You can have my SI head, all springs are gone but it has 3 of each valves, exhaust & inlet.

Tadpole

I have Aprila's old 205 Si with a GTi head and cam and it has less power than it could because it doesnt have the ECU to match from the GTi. Aprila said that if I change over to a GTi ECU it'd outrun the old setup with ease. That was his plan. Currently however I do not have the ECU so it's a little gutless.
    Not sure if this helps at all.

Fellow Frogger!

Will a timing belt kit for a 1.9 GTi work with an SI or will it end in bent valve sadness? Hard to order Gates stuff for an SI because the UK never got SI's, even calling Halfords isn't sure about it because it's not on their computer.

Cheers for the offer 404Phil, but i've resigned to the fact the car will be off the road for a week or so while the heads off!

Tadpole

Timing belt should be the same between SI & GTI, so long as the tensioner is similar. I'm not sure if the belts are similar between early & late tensioners. I thought there is a one tooth difference???

Always take care when working / changing / setting valve springs.

As good as many

How to Properly Handle Valve Springs

VIP Sponsor

Sis came with both the early and late tensioners, if it has the eccentric, not spring loaded tensioner it will have the late belt, 114 teeth, one more than the early one.

Quote Originally Posted by 404phil View Post
    Timing belt should be the same between SI & GTI, so long as the tensioner is similar. I'm not sure if the belts are similar between early & late tensioners. I thought there is a one tooth difference???

Fellow Frogger!

Got it all off, seems I have the early type.

Chipped the crank pully levering it off because i'm an idiot... replace it or run with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Selekta View Post
    Got it all off, seems I have the early type.

Chipped the crank pully levering it off because i'm an idiot... replace it or run with it?
    How big is the damage? Got a photo?

Fellow Frogger!

That'll be okay. Mine had a lot more damage than that when I got the car. I would however make sure there's no sharp edges that could damage the belt.

Very very fragile casting, that. I got a couple of perfect spares now, but I guess if you could lay hands on a machined Aluminium one it would save a lot of trouble in the future. I would like to machine one for myself but I don't have a broach or a shaper to cut the key slot and some 7075 stock in that size is not cheap to get. Most places in Oz don't even have 7075, I had to import some from amerikia where I found the best price/delivery cost deal.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

Yeah, that damage was just from trying to use a bearing puller on it... not actually pulling, but trying to slide the prongs in behind it.

doesn't need to be 7075 Shulzwagen, just needs to be anodized. If you're not running A/C, you can use a single from a lesser model. They're no where near as fragile.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by Selekta View Post
    Yeah, that damage was just from trying to use a bearing puller on it... not actually pulling, but trying to slide the prongs in behind it.

I pulled one off nicely and gently with the engine in situ and then it just dropped out of my hand so it must have been what? 10-20 cm off the ground? Chipped just like yours. Bloody french cast steel de merde!

You don't need a puller to take it off. Just put loads of WD40 on the shaft, and wobble it gently by hand. It does eventually break the gunk and slides off. Be careful, the timing belt sprocket is just as delicate and I bet the camshaft one is no different. I would not use any tools/force on any of them.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

Mmm, a quick tap with a rubber mallet (on the centre) did the trick in the end.

Question number 10 million: heads off, lots of debris fell into the void. I’m assuming once the head is back on a blast of fresh water through the motor will clean all that out?

Thread Information