info on 504 injected engines
  • Register
  • Help

info on 504 injected engines

What is the power rating?

Advertisement

What other info is availiable?

How would the injected engine compare to an carb motor with a weber?
    JoFuS

Fellow Frogger!
    The offical figures are:

8.35:1 compression 504 injected engine:

104hp DIN
    168Nm DIN

8.8:1 compression 504 injected engine (with big bore exhaust manifold?):

106hp DIN

A carby motor with a weber, big more manifold, 9-9.5:1 compression, square port head and a Wade 112 cam would be capable of similar or slightly higher power and similar or slightly lower torque to the injected engine, but possibly slightly higher up in the rev range. Something in the range of 105hp and 165Nm would be what to expect. The carby 504 has a slightly lower diff ratio than the TI, so with a similar output, it will accelerate faster.

If you can get an XN1A carby head with four branch inlet manifold from NZ or somewhere, those engines have 108hp standard.

Dave

what would be involved in changing this engine over to a previous carby model?
    JoFuS

Fellow Frogger!
    82' 505 and Crusin':
    what would be involved in changing this engine over to a previous carby model?
    Changing to a carby engine is easy (just a matter of pulling one engine out and dropping another one in, and blocking a hose or two), but what condition is the Fuel Injected engine in? They go really well, when they are running the way they're supposed to, but can be pigs if you're unlucky enough to strike a problem.

Dave

Can these engines be improved?
    How can I service it? (I have only ever had carby cars)

The engine could? need some attention, because the guy I bought engine/car off was quiet young, and had been bagging the car up (the tyres were Shredded(past steel wire!) and the clutch is very burnt out.

What part of the engine/injection system should I check?

It runs consistantly, but there is a rattle/noise from the engine. I think it could be a very poorly ajusted tappet. Lets hope so
    JoFuS

Fellow Frogger!
    82' 505 and Crusin':
    Can these engines be improved?
    How can I service it? (I have only ever had carby cars)
    They can be hotted up, but you need some one experienced with these injection system to tune it properly after you've done the modifications. Nowadays, there's alot of good arguments for putting an after market EFI system on the 504 injection engine, if you're modifying it.

You can put twin Webers on the 504TI head, but as mentioned in another post, the ports are a litte too large, so the conversion isn't as good as it otherwise could be.

As far as knowing what to do and check on the stock mechanical injection, you'll have to find someone with some experience (should be a few in the Canberra club). I've only ever pulled them apart or swapped the TI engines from car to car. I've never put one together or fixed or tuned one.

Dave

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    they are fairly simple to tune once you understand the workings of them
    once they are set then leave them alone
    check fuel filters or change them when the car coughs
    keep plug and points gaps in check
    can't really do a lot with the cam in them if you keep the original setup as they rely on vaccuum to run
    so long as hoses are in good condition and your pump has the right oil in it and a few other little points you will never have any trouble with them
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Thread Information