• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Vehicle Safety Recall for Peugeot 308 T9 ECU software update

Default Vehicle Safety Recall for Peugeot 308 T9 ECU software update

Hi all,

Advertisement

My vehicle has a recall for downloading new ECU software and I live some 5 hours away from the nearest (only) Peugeot dealer in WA and wondered if anyone had experience with updating their ECU software themselves. I recently purchased a Auto V-Gate iCar 2 OBD ELM327 diagnostic chip that gives me info on my smartphone andwondered if an ECU update can be perfromed using this?

Thanks in advance.

Fellow Frogger!

Highly unlikely. The update will require the factory tool - known as Diagbox or Peugeot Planet 2000. It will be downloaded from Peugeot servers.
    Your 3rd party tool can read the basic info and codes, but won't do more complex features of the car.

Why don't you contact them and see if they have a suggested solution? It might be there is a closer service agent the the appropriate tool.
    206 GTi 180 - '804 Cat Cams, Jenvey DBW 48mm ITB's, Emtron KV8 ECU, HP Electronik PDM, AIM MXS Dash, Custom Wiring Harness. AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, PeugeotSport Baffled Sump, Oil cooler, Quaife LSD, E85.
    Build nearly finished...

Sandown - 1:31.5
    Winton - 1:45.6
    Phillip Island - 1:58.4
    Nürburgring - 10:23.ish (Fiesta ST)

Previously, 2x 504 Wagon, 505 Wagon, 505 STi, 405.

I'd be surprised if Peugeot distributed the Australian software update file.

And would you risk something collected off the net ?

You may be faced with dealer doing the update.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Yeah try to do it yourself stuff your ecu. In what world do you think that would be possible can I have what you’re on.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by dmccurtayne View Post
    Yeah try to do it yourself stuff your ecu. In what world do you think that would be possible can I have what you’re on.
    Polite and helpful as always. Good one
    robmac, pgti6, Codman and 1 others like this.
    206 GTi 180 - '804 Cat Cams, Jenvey DBW 48mm ITB's, Emtron KV8 ECU, HP Electronik PDM, AIM MXS Dash, Custom Wiring Harness. AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, PeugeotSport Baffled Sump, Oil cooler, Quaife LSD, E85.
    Build nearly finished...

Have to agree with this well meant advice. . .

Only the dealer or agent with authorisation will have access to the latest updates, cloned copies of Diagbox won't! As a recall you would also want this recall as being logged and performed.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Just can’t handle the mentality of it try not to be rude think I’ve been off the tools to long lol

1000+ Posts

It's not going to happen, but when the poster is 400 km from the dealer, I can see his problem. The round trip plus accommodation is a large pain.

Quote Originally Posted by 308CUCKEN View Post
    Hi all,

My vehicle has a recall for downloading new ECU software and I live some 5 hours away from the nearest (only) Peugeot dealer in WA and wondered if anyone had experience with updating their ECU software themselves. I recently purchased a Auto V-Gate iCar 2 OBD ELM327 diagnostic chip that gives me info on my smartphone andwondered if an ECU update can be perfromed using this?

Thanks in advance.
    Unfortunately it will be dealer only, most likely.

When you ring them, try to pin them down on the procedure - most likely they will want a cold car to work with and it may require waiting some time till the motor cools down.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Sounds like the issue being made by tractor owners in the US of A who are arguing that they've bought the tractors, why can't they be allowed to fix them instead of a trip,to the dealer/computer programmer. A class action apparently. The same argument can be put forward for cars. With out distances in Australia, we're being held to ransom when a computer download is all that is needed. Not holding my breath in Australia, though.

Fellow Frogger!

I don't think it's quite that simple.

John Deere are claiming that you don't own any part of the software code when you purchase a tractor, you're only given a licence to use it.
    This is more a case of requiring a properly trained person to install the update. I know here in Melbourne there are workshops that have the factory tool, even though they aren't factory aligned.
    Having done extensive computer tech support, I certainly wouldn't want just anyone being asked to update the firmware on their car, nor would most of them want to.

The major issue here is distance, not permission.
    Build nearly finished...

No nothing like it but are you going to sue apple if you don’t have internet if you need to update your phone do you want Kmart to come to your house if your toaster dies sounds like a first world problem

Quote Originally Posted by speaksgeek View Post

John Deere are claiming that you don't own any part of the software code when you purchase a tractor, you're only given a licence to use it.
    This is more a case of requiring a properly trained person to install the update. I know here in Melbourne there are workshops that have the factory tool, even though they aren't factory aligned.
    Having done extensive computer tech support, I certainly wouldn't want just anyone being asked to update the firmware on their car, nor would most of them want to.

10000%

No nothing like it but are you going to sue apple if you don’t have internet if you need to update your phone do you want Kmart to come to your house if your toaster dies sounds like a first world problem

Gee, I never thought I would see that: a die hard French vehicle supporter creating a simile between a French vehicle and a household appliance.

However I can't argue his logic. The fact is, if the OP desires to have the "safety software update" installed he needs to have a certified dealer carry out the work. And free of charge too.

Sort of implicit in purchasing a vehicle from a dealer who is so far away.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Gee, I never thought I would see that: a die hard French vehicle supporter creating a simile between a French vehicle and a household appliance.

However I can't argue his logic. The fact is, if the OP desires to have the "safety software update" installed he needs to have a certified dealer carry out the work. And free of charge too.

Sort of implicit in purchasing a vehicle from a dealer who is so far away.
    Sorry should have said SMEG toaster from David jones.🙃

Sorry should have said SMEG toaster from David jones.��
    FWIW SMEG is made by an Italian company.

But at least it's European. And any toaster is an appliance.

However, maybe we would be better served to to convince the OP to take his car to his dealer.

👍👍👍👍👍

I have a pric* relation that managed two mines in W.A. He eventually got his employers to pay the maintenance on his private aircraft instead of a car. It saved them a day of driving between his visits between the two centres 700 miles apart. W.A. is big. Don't buy a car from a long way away.....
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Thx for the discussion guys. I will pursue a solution for the update with the dealer.

Sent from my SM-G950F using aussiefrogs mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by speaksgeek View Post

I don't get it.
    What is so difficult about updating firmware or software.
    Many of my devices have needed it and it has been a simple matter of downloading the code and installing it.

Is there something I'm missing about the complexity of the task or am I just a genius???

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    I don't get it.
    Many of my devices have needed it and it has been a simple matter of downloading the code and installing it.

Is there something I'm missing about the complexity of the task or am I just a genius???

Jo
    It's not the update procedure. It a matter of confirming it is done in a manner that meets manufacturers compliance.

And if anyone other than a agent does the work there is no way of knowing if it has been successfully completed.

That is just way it is. And you can't expect a manufacturer to make an one off exception to the general procedure.

The other option , if travelling so onerous, is to decline the update or at least wait until the next service.
    jo proffi likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

As above, it depends on lots of things.
    Some devices it's easy, and/or the downsides of failure is insignificant. For devices that are cheap and ubiquitous (iPhone), there needs to be a well designed and safe method for anyone to use. If it still fails, it's not likely to kill you.

For something less common, like a particular car, the cost to design and validate a method that is foolproof might be harder to justify. Especially when the manufacturer would prefer not to be held responsible for updates performed badly by users. I have seen the trouble that otherwise intelligent people can get themselves into when it comes to anything technical that they aren't comfortable with.

I think of myself as pretty capable when it comes to computer use, and yet I managed to brick a device just this week by being impatient during a firmware update. I'll partly blame it on poor interface design, but mostly I ignored my better judgement of correct practice.
    How many car end users are even aware of precautions that one needs to adhere to when pushing safety critical updates to embedded hardware?

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    I don't get it.

Jo
    jo proffi and tazfrog like this.
    Build nearly finished...

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    This little engineer saw that coming!
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway
    306 convertible (gti6 candidate)
    307 HDi wagon
    407 HDi wagon

Fellow Frogger!

Bosch, Tesla etc don't seem phased by wireless updates? Cars as easy to update as a smartphone - Bosch Media Service

Vehicle Safety Recall for Peugeot 308 T9 ECU software update-bosch.jpg

So ok then customer pulls cord or power fails halfway into download bricks ecu car stuck in garage who pays

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information