How hard is it to give a car away?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: How hard is it to give a car away?

Default How hard is it to give a car away?

I'd say the answer is very fuc$ing hard.
    Firstly the car must be perfect. It must have amazing unambiguously beautiful photos to prove how straight the body is.
    Then it must have an unblemished mechanical history preferably with logbooks and a generally stellar provinence.
    Then it must preferably be driveable or at least extremely easy to get.
    In fact if it has too many k's on the clock or worn tyres it is generally not fit to be given.
    As we all know sometimes free is too expensive.
    Therefore I say to you philanthropist types, just take a leaf out of the books of all the known charities these days.
    If you've ever tried to give them $hit you'll already know that if it isn't in 'as new' condition they will refuse to take it and if you are strapped for time you will have no alternative than to take the offending immaculate lounge suite with the small scuff on one chair arm down to the tip to be unceremoniously trashed in the crusher.

Sadly so it is also with our old pre-loved cars these days. The choice is beyond belief in freebies these days so it's best to forget about helping anyone out, just be selfish and don't worry about giving, it's a thang of the past.

O JUST ONE MORE THANG thanks Cal for giving me that old red 505, it was a blast to be given that, maybe I'll still get to use your engine.

Advertisement
    Last edited by luthier; 3rd March 2018 at 11:56 PM.
    New2Pugs likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

I am happy to take the car if you want to deliver it but don't have a suitable trailer atm

Sorry Ian, but this is a case in point. If I have to deliver it, I'll deliver it to myself. That's what I'm saying, people want everything for nothing and they aren't even willing to make the slightest effort for a freeby. It pisses me off.

I actually like the car that I'm attempting to give away and I have almost run out of patience at the thought of giving it away already after one day. It cost me quite a bit to get it back where it is and if nobody is polite enough to want it I'll certainly trailer it up here and fix it at my leisure.
    I don't need to give it away, just thought it might be nice for someone.
    I know I'm not alone here as I've seen quite a few end up at the crushers when people really need to get them gone urgently.
    My situation is different. I was just putting it out there for anyone who wants one who is willing to do a bit of work. If nobody fits that description I am probably happier as I would love to see a sweet white manual 505 on club plates here in my driveway.

I'm not actually spruiking to give stuff away, merely commenting on the general state of the world, a consumer society that cares little for recycling even when it might be as great a car as I offer, or many others that have come and gone over the years.
    Berridale likes this.

I see you refuse to learn lesson number one: if it cost nothing, it is worth nothing.

You have to make people fight for something, that makes it worthwhile. How do you think ebay enriched its creators?

Get my drift?
    Duffster, Berridale and graham66 like this.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

Personally, I'd rather pay for something.
    Even exchange something in return for a very generous offer.

Unfortunately though there's very few people that have the ability, time and desire to retrieve a car and restore it. And even fewer when it gets to particular makes and models. Then there's dreamers like myself who love the idea of hiring a trailer, picking up a car and dropping an engine in.... Except find the reality far too daunting and cost prohibitive.

But I would say, if someone wants it. The very least they can do is come and get it.

Good luck with your 505 luthier. I have a small hope that you'll end up saying "bugger this" and getting the car back on the road and enjoying it for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post
    Sorry Ian, but this is a case in point. If I have to deliver it, I'll deliver it to myself. That's what I'm saying, people want everything for nothing and they aren't even willing to make the slightest effort for a freeby. It pisses me off.

I actually like the car that I'm attempting to give away and I have almost run out of patience at the thought of giving it away already after one day. It cost me quite a bit to get it back where it is and if nobody is polite enough to want it I'll certainly trailer it up here and fix it at my leisure.
    I don't need to give it away, just thought it might be nice for someone.
    I know I'm not alone here as I've seen quite a few end up at the crushers when people really need to get them gone urgently.
    My situation is different. I was just putting it out there for anyone who wants one who is willing to do a bit of work. If nobody fits that description I am probably happier as I would love to see a sweet white manual 505 on club plates here in my driveway.

I'm not actually spruiking to give stuff away, merely commenting on the general state of the world, a consumer society that cares little for recycling even when it might be as great a car as I offer, or many others that have come and gone over the years.
    Location also has a bearing on how "attractive" the vehicle is. Especially with the fuel cost factored in.

You are seeking prospective takers from a small subset of AF members, perhaps.

Gumtree may get the desired result.

And an extra vehicle in the house is not often attractive to one's wife.
    Departed the Aussie Frogs Community 14 September 2018.

The moderator/leader should not operate for the sole benefit of himself and his kind but for the benefit of the people at large and of the AF Fraternity and its patterns, as becomes what he perceives as fitting into place, into his sense of natural justice.
    with apologies to Judy Grahn

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    And an extra vehicle in the house is not often attractive to one's wife.
    ditto, issue is even worse if one has incomplete projects on hand
    small lot sizes and lack of space limits the number of current projects
    jo proffi, bahay and Duffster like this.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

UFO

Try advertising (non car) bits and pieces on Facebook sale sites. Someone offers to buy then "POOF" they disappear into the ether never to be heard of again. Dicks
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    I see you refuse to learn lesson number one: if it cost nothing, it is worth nothing.

You have to make people fight for something, that makes it worthwhile. How do you think ebay enriched its creators?

Get my drift?
    Had same issue with an R15 registered RWC, no one wanted.
    Scrapped it, cashed out rego, sold the parts, guy even picked up the shell for nothing.
    Cars are worth what the spares value is to someone
    Renault owners do not look at demolition of a beaut R15
    Makes a good family demolition project

How hard is it to give a car away?-car1.jpgHow hard is it to give a car away?-car2.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How hard is it to give a car away?-car4.jpg  

UFO

I heard yesterday of someone who a while ago privately sold a very tidy BX 19TRi (trophy winning at that) and he continues to receive harassing phone calls from the purchaser when/if anything goes wrong. It's reached the point where he will not answer his own home phone. Tragic.
    Berridale likes this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

The world has indeed turned, and "value" has become quite a different beast.

I'm selling quite a bit of musical/audio stuff, and regularly go through convolutions + conniptions.
    Most "old stuff" has no market value, even rare items.

I guess various factors are in play, not the least being that generationally we "valued" stuff more, these days
    (esp due to Chinese manufacture) new stuff is SO cheap that old stuff is seen as value-less. Especially if not 100%.

One thing I love ... let's say you are selling a $400 item for $10, the first question is "what is your lowest price?" or
    "I'll offer you $2." Right-o.

I also love how people don't even come to see an item, but still make an "offer."
    I'd much prefer to play a guitar before making a decision....

Yup, those Facebook sites:

Seconds after posting: "is this still available?" Um yes. I'm inclined to add: "that's why I'm selling it."
    "What is your lowest price?" Um....10c?? Do you actually want to buy it?

"No trades."
    Maaate, would you trade?

Admittedly some must just be taking the piss.

Also, a lot of phishing abounds.

Ebay?? Its worth $1000. You start at $800. No bids.
    Start at $0 and some MAY pay more than $1000.
    Mind you I just sold an antique microphone for $1.

Retirement funds are slow.
    JohnW and DeeCee like this.
    Once upon a time:

Many R4s (incl. fourgonnette), R5LS, R16TS.

GS 1015, 1220, sedans and wagons.
    CX 2200, 2400.
    ID 1966, 1969, DS21H, DSpecial, DS23 Pallas.
    C5 2002, 2004 petrol and diesel.
    D Special 1974
    Xantia Activa 1998 (look out Gulargambone)
    GS 5 speed sedan (what a tale)
    1986 2CV6
    CX25GTi 1985 auto
    CX2500 IE Pallas 1985 auto
    DS23EFI 1975 Pallas

And now:

C5 2.2 HDI 2005 wagon
    DS23 1973 Pallas

COL

Quote Originally Posted by garyk View Post

I'm selling quite a bit of musical/audio stuff, and regularly go through convolutions + conniptions.

I guess various factors are in play, not the least being that generationally we "valued" stuff more, these days
    (esp due to Chinese manufacture) new stuff is SO cheap that old stuff is seen as value-less. Especially if not 100%.

One thing I love ... let's say you are selling a $400 item for $10, the first question is "what is your lowest price?" or

I also love how people don't even come to see an item, but still make an "offer."

Seconds after posting: "is this still available?" Um yes. I'm inclined to add: "that's why I'm selling it."

"No trades."
    Maaate, would you trade?

Its fun try to sell things, especially in the bottom end (bargain segment) of the market.

I have all of those questions asked and all the answers have been in the advertisement.

I think its just down to the education system in this country because it seams to be people in the under 30 age group that ask these questions.
    robmac, BIGRR and Dano like this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Fellow Frogger!

When moving from Melbourne years back i threw a lot of stuff out because i was short on time , people dicked me around with their attitude and would not take the stuff for free.
    Renault 8/10 stuff. Panels , interiors etc etc. Even a new exhaust with discolouration.
    Renault 12/16/17 stuff, gearboxes, panels.

Norm Wray who i worked for at one point said, "You have to be able to store all your stuff."

I had to move.
    UFO likes this.

Well I have found a gentleman who wants to fix the 505 as it should be. So as it turned out, not as hard as it first appeared in my case.
    Just lucky I guess.

I put this up because it's so common for cars to be abandoned and crushed because there's nobody out there to save them. I think it's good to stir the pot about this issue as there are enough good people about to accommodate much of it and there are our kids who can benefit from some of the good going freebies.
    I've been sorely tempted quite a few times but too many cars affliction has prevented it mostly.
    I suppose the merits of the particular model are the deciding factors in success or otherwise.
    Glad the 505 is still/again beginning to be seen as worthy.
    I also have a good 203 resto project but haven't yet decided totally whether to keep or pass it on.
    If anyone wants to discuss that with me please PM so I can give phone numbers for a chat.
    I'm not in a hurry and still ambivalent but could be convinced if there's a decent home offered. No money involved.
    dhaw, dimistyle, JohnW and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Berridale View Post
    When moving from Melbourne years back i threw a lot of stuff out because i was short on time , people dicked me around with their attitude and would not take the stuff for free.
    Renault 8/10 stuff. Panels , interiors etc etc. Even a new exhaust with discolouration.
    Renault 12/16/17 stuff, gearboxes, panels.

Norm Wray who i worked for at one point said, "You have to be able to store all your stuff."

I had to move.
    Sound exactly like my story when ended an era.
    There was a speed boat with a ripper trailer, which i was virtually giving away.

One lady stood out among all the time wasters, so we agreed to hold it for her.
    She drove over 100 km on a stormy Friday night with her two very capable young kids in a beaten up old hilux ute and was so apreciative of the bargain.
    Little did she know how much shit i had to get rid of so i filled the boat with all types of expensive usefull stuff....tents and camping gear, fishing rods and tackle boxes, eskys,seats, even a bag of bungers in case her kids needed to blow any shiit up!!!
    Jo

Unfortunately, many are either getting on in years and are therefore not as into working on cars as they once were, are somewhat younger but due to "domestic circumstances" not able to bring more cars home or don't want to store cars or car spare parts.

As an example of the last reason, many years ago I tried to give away parts from an old 404 station wagon. Despite speaking to lots of people there were no takers so I eventually took it to the crusher. Later, down the track, someone wanted the diff and ironically it was someone I had previously offered parts to, but it was too late.
    Berridale likes this.

Not too hard at all I'd suggest. Spoken for 5 days after the ad was first placed.
    Departed the Aussie Frogs Community 14 September 2018.

The moderator/leader should not operate for the sole benefit of himself and his kind but for the benefit of the people at large and of the AF Fraternity and its patterns, as becomes what he perceives as fitting into place, into his sense of natural justice.
    with apologies to Judy Grahn

Quote Originally Posted by garyk View Post

"No trades."
    Maaate, would you trade?

It is not the chinese (or other) manufacture that has conditioned people, but the consumer attitude instilled by modern economist theories and practices. Profits are maximised by selling cheap crap that people need to buy a lot of and all the time. The consumer no longer expects that something will last, and the company has no interest in making something that will. Big money still buys stuff that lasts so the trick is (as far as the manufacturer is concerned) how to get the idiot to buy your stuff for lots of money whilst not expecting it to last very much. I can name names, but I am sure you all know them from personal experience, unfortunately.

Education is also in a very twisted state. You can not expect or indeed require that students pay attention for more than it takes to listen to "Twinkle twinkle little star". If you do, you're not going to get a job in education. You have to make lessons fun before anything else, it matters not if anyone learns anything. Parents themselves are lost between grades and learning. In secondary education it is the grades that count (there is some reason behind this, because the grades decide to some extent your final score, which is important if you want to go to uni, but not as much as some people think), even though these don't mean much. Most of the time people look at NAPLAN scores without realising the test is at a pretty low level. But even for parents who want their kids to go in extension programs the difference between knowing and having good grades is not clear. I have seen a lot of parents who want their kids to be tutored and are ready to pay good money so their kid learns how to pass a selective exam. These people do not understand that these exams are meant to test thinking and understanding, imagination, an innate power to connect knowledge, not how much they know. So here we are.

Little wonder people can't go through an entire ad (the more detail you add, the less of a chance you have someone will actually read it).

And yes, it irritates me as well that people send a SMS making an offer on something they didn't even bother to read about. That's the result of having pictures in your listing. If you didn't have any, they might ask some questions, but you still need to write something that triggers their interest.

Or you can go the other way. Make your pictures tell the whole story. Yeah, but this takes skill. Have a look on youtube and see. How many videos can you find about a topic? Millions, most likely. Most are however crap. It turns out the old adage was true all along. The average person, is oh well, average. Now everybody has cameras, but just like in old times, the cloth makes not the photographer. As someone with serious idiosyncrasies about pictures, I cringe. Even if you must take your shots with a camera phone (which are still crap, by the way), you have some things you can do to optimise results. Most people take shots that are absolutely impossible. I am not even sure how it is possible to take such crap shots. But that's the way it is.

As I suggested above, the trick is to sell something. I have always had success with listing things at ridiculously low prices. As you noticed, if you ask for 1000$, you will not get it, and you will most likely not sell your thing, ever. If you list the same thing at a starting price of 1$, you have a chance that you will get more than the asking price.

This does not always work for big ticket items you will take a loss on those.

For small value items it does work and it does actually maximise the price.

IN our case here, the OP has the added problem that he is not sure he wants to give away things, or he wants to impose conditions. This does not attract customers. They (correctly) think that you should not have any qualms with whatever they want to do with your thing after you sold it/gave it away.

I have been through this on both sides, and I have learned that you have to be ready to kill your babies. If you want to get rid of them. If not, figure out what you want, but be prepared to accept you can't have it both ways.

On the other side, I had a funny experience when in the market for a classic and I found this attractive old Merc that the seller loved like his own baby. I went through a lengthy conversation on the phone having to endure stories of how the car had been pampered like a prematurely born puppy and it gave me the feeling that I was applying for a job as au pair at the royal court rather than buying a car. The price was right, the car was nice, but the seller wanted to see my CV and proof from the police departments in all states that I wasn't going to drive his baby if there was any sign of bad weather. Sorry, mate. You can keep it. I think in these situations it is the sellers who are time wasters, not the buyers. I understand why the old guy was so attached to his Merc, and have sympathy for old guys like that (I suspect I am one of them) but why say you want to sell it if you don't?

I had a car I loved and had wanted for a long time but when I had to get rid of it, I did. I put it on ebay for 1$ starting price and it sold. It only made half the money I had paid for it, but it was gone. That was the aim. And just like Jo, I loaded the trunk with so much new, expensive (OEM) spares, you could have built another engine for it (and the sale price would have probably covered only half of these).

Meh.

People are twisted. Don't even think of trying to give something away. Mark Twain figured this out a long time ago, remember how Tom Sawyer makes "money" out of whitewashing aunt Polly's fence?

Good on you, the companies that have figured out how to repeatedly take their money with expensive cheap crap. Shiny, trendy, eye catching expensive cheap crap.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 5th March 2018 at 11:36 PM.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Chisholm View Post
    I tried to give away parts from an old 404 station wagon. Despite speaking to lots of people there were no takers so I eventually took it to the crusher.
    Sacrilege !

Off with his cylinder head !

My own confession is that I once tried to sell a very old 505, and the only person who wanted it was Hany the Egyptian....and he paid more than it was worth.
    At least it will live on, either as parts, or perhaps even with the roof welded back on (I believe they cut them off to import them as "parts").
    Last edited by Beano; 6th March 2018 at 08:04 AM.

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post
    ... it's so common for cars to be abandoned and crushed because there's nobody out there to save them. ...
    How often have you seen an unrealistic asking price with the associated threat that they will crush it if nobody buys it immediately for their stupid price. Such a moronic demand to make. So, let them crush it and get nothing for it. It's hard to work out why some people think others should be falling over themselves to take their cast off junk, usually with problems, and then get narky when the hoped for seagulls refuse to take the chip.

Taking the 'free' car is just the start. It always involves some time, costs and then the drama of where to put it and what to do with it. The group of people with unlimited storage space and time is really very small. I've rejected free or near gift cars I'd otherwise have taken on just because of the storage limitation. You also reach a point where you realise you simply can't use that many cars and keeping them in good order is actually an albatross. To explain why so many more people today have so much less space would become a political topic and probably offend some people who do not want to hear the truth or accept blame, so I won't go there.
    JohnW, Berridale and DeeCee like this.

Fellow Frogger!

I would give a lot of stuff away for nothing, as long as i don't get grief.

Train-spotters and some car Club people just are an annoyance.
    They are good at it.

OK let's move right along now. The 505 is spoken for.
    Who wants the 203? Come on, you know who you are.
    This is a very restoreable 1950 model, same as the 49, with sunroof, no quarter windows but the central air scoop in the bonnet, the small back window and the great gutters that run down round the boot. The beautiful boot with the cable release boot catch and the gorgeous filligree chrome decoration above the Feu De Arriere. really as cool a Peugeot as you can get.
    I have a limited time during which I will voluntarily give this project away, after which the horned beast will return, my Dr Hyde if you like, and I will decide to bloodywell do it myself.
    There is no logic in this except that personally I will be a whole lot better off not spending all that time and effort on another old car that right now is not worth the money it would cost to renovate. So basically for the return value anyone taking this on will be wasting their time if they value that. On the other hand every time you drive one of these down the street you meet new and interesting people and you get to cruise about on club rego [$50 per year] and enjoy the feel of yesteryear Puggotness which is a cool way to go as long as you don't require aircon or getting places very fast.
    The other source of satisfaction, if you can call it that, is that while your brothers are doing up dumb $hit Holdens and Fords from yesteryear that are worth squillions, you are still meandering about in more economical, classy, better handling and braking and cheaper to rebuild classics that they know nothing about because they are bogans while you have a sense of taste and don't give a fu[k how much the end product might be worth because it's worth everything to you.

So who's for it? They chain me to the chair at midnight a week from now when I assume the restorers mantle.
    cjl, David S and svengali0 like this.

Got any photos - I might be interested.

Fellow Frogger!

Is the 203 in pristine condition? Can you post some professional photography? Or produce a glossy brochure for the car?

*Joking*
    David S likes this.

I donated my last car to a good cause:

https://www.kuc.org.au/get-involved/donate-your-car/

It all went smoothly.

Depending how far you are from a capital city it might work for you too.
    lozenge likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information