How hard is it to give a car away? - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: How hard is it to give a car away?

Just to add a positive (albeit rare) note.
    Oz has its problems, whether Bogan-vilia, unappreciated marques, etc, but one inescapable thing is a small population.

Many, many times I've tried to sell something to only get low, or no replies, low-ball offers, etc.
    But I have learned that on any given advertising day, you may have 0 potential buyers.

Advertisement

I have been trying to sell a lovely handmade (1959) acoustic guitar for months.
    Up to today, just one looker.

Sold it today to a very happy buyer, who played it well, appreciated it, and will enjoy it.
    The $$ was low, but it finally went to a good home.

Cars are often the same route .... finding "the right person" .... at the right time ... at a price that is fair.
    Commonly available things usually have to sell on price, rare things depend on finding the right buyer.

Post script: Dan makes very wonderful guitars!
    lozenge and Greggo like this.
    Once upon a time:

Many R4s (incl. fourgonnette), R5LS, R16TS.

GS 1015, 1220, sedans and wagons.
    CX 2200, 2400.
    ID 1966, 1969, DS21H, DSpecial, DS23 Pallas.
    C5 2002, 2004 petrol and diesel.
    D Special 1974
    Xantia Activa 1998 (look out Gulargambone)
    GS 5 speed sedan (what a tale)
    1986 2CV6
    CX25GTi 1985 auto
    CX2500 IE Pallas 1985 auto
    DS23EFI 1975 Pallas

And now:

C5 2.2 HDI 2005 wagon
    DS23 1973 Pallas

And I reckon that's what we all need to keep in mind - old French cars appeal to relatively few. Old Holdens or Celica's, for example, would attract a lot more interest.
    Berridale likes this.

It's a niche market. However I saw an article once about how people who had once owned a Peugeot were more likely to want another one than the previous owners of any other marque. So they do pop out of the woodwork sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Beano View Post
    It's a niche market. However I saw an article once about how people who had once owned a Peugeot were more likely to want another one than the previous owners of any other marque. So they do pop out of the woodwork sometimes.
    It's called "brand loyalty". In vehicle sales Benz and Toyota are amongst the highest.

It's something that successful small business' try to generate.
    Berridale and hypermiler like this.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Chisholm View Post
    old French cars appeal to relatively few
    Certainly, this is a big part of the problem.

I have 3 505s here in varying states decorating my front lawn, all needing some work to see the road again. I don't have the time to put into them and honestly, one day when I get back into it I'll hunt down a good condition one (or a 504).

Many people have said "Why don't you sell them?".

That's all well and good, but living where I do (roughly 400kms south of Perth) I think they would be impossible to sell or give away. Even the scrap man wouldn't come here for them, though I certainly couldn't bring myself to do that.

It's the same with my 403. It's reached the point that the body needs restoring and I have a mountain of parts for it. I'd love to see it go to a good home but no one seems interested. I fear if I put it on gumtree/facebook it's just going to go to someone who will cut it up for a V8 conversion or similar, but then if it stays here it's just going to rust away. I'd really love to fix her up but I have far to many projects already and I don't have an area suitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Chisholm View Post
    Old Holdens or Celica's, for example, would attract a lot more interest.
    This is exactly it. I'm sure if my 505s were similar era Commdores or Skylines then I wouldn't have trouble moving them. It's quite sad really, the fate of many euro cars of that era.
    1985 S2 505 GTi. Someone please sell me an S2 drivers side front 1/4 panel so I can get this on the road again.
    1985 S1 505 SRi. Parts car.
    1957 403 sedan. Aka Ruby.
    1979&81 Suzuki LJ81s.
    1980 Suzuki LJ80V.
    1981 Suzuki SJ40 Sierra.
    2000 Suzuki Jimny.

Fellow Frogger!

Why is every 505 seemingly hard to get to? Well, from where I am anyway! 505s are few and far between.

In my case I live in Sydney, have a two year old daughter and a fairly open minded wife ( in relation to my car interests). The thing I'm limited most by is mechanical ability, time and finally money. I have about 5k I could invest into a car and that includes transportation, rego and any fixes to get it reliable for daily use. Once I get that car I'll happily keep it on full rego and insured as long as I'm able.

I'm I completely dreaming? At the very least I should invest in a car trailer!

Just rent one when needed...

Quote Originally Posted by lowpugV2 View Post
    Why is every 505 seemingly hard to get to? Well, from where I am anyway! 505s are few and far between.

In my case I live in Sydney, have a two year old daughter and a fairly open minded wife ( in relation to my car interests). The thing I'm limited most by is mechanical ability, time and finally money. I have about 5k I could invest into a car and that includes transportation, rego and any fixes to get it reliable for daily use. Once I get that car I'll happily keep it on full rego and insured as long as I'm able.

I'm I completely dreaming? At the very least I should invest in a car trailer!

There's a Renault 12 wagon in very nice condition for sale as we speak for less than your budget.

Being a 12 doesn't need an owner with mechanical skills and will most likely outlive you.

No affiliation and too far from me to get it, but close to you.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

That R12 is very cool. Also very close to my birth year, and my favourite colour. If it were a '79 I'd have to buy it. It is a few wheel nuts short of a 505 though.

Fellow Frogger!

Renault 12 wagon have their own charm.
    A really good design, all you need in reality.
    Later Virage wagon were very nice in their time.

Fellow Frogger

Buy a car that at least drives. As long as it is safe to drive you can buy a permit to drive an unregistered vehicle home in most states for a small fee. If you need a trailer, then your (limited?) mechanical ability will be called upon immediately. Work on the basis no trailer shall be required and make your life quite a bit easier.

Does it have to be a 505? There are plenty of interesting models from Peugeot, Citroen and Renault to choose from in the bargain bin.

If you want to make use of the inexpensive club rego scheme and use the car only occasionally, in NSW you need to buy a car at least 30 years old. If it's a daily driver, then the age obviously doesn't matter as it needs to be on full rego anyway.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Buy a car that at least drives. As long as it is safe to drive you can buy a permit to drive an unregistered vehicle home in most states for a small fee. If you need a trailer, then your (limited?) mechanical ability will be called upon immediately. Work on the basis no trailer shall be required and make your life quite a bit easier.

Does it have to be a 505? There are plenty of interesting models from Peugeot, Citroen and Renault to choose from in the bargain bin.

If you want to make use of the inexpensive club rego scheme and use the car only occasionally, in NSW you need to buy a car at least 30 years old. If it's a daily driver, then the age obviously doesn't matter as it needs to be on full rego anyway.
    It doesn't have to be a 505, but I've had one before and I have it stuck in my head. That and I really like the way they drive and look. That said there are so many options in that price range.
    And yes, a driveable car is what I need. I have looked into if I need to go to Melbourne for a car and it's a simple process. Just buy an a-b permit.

With historic rego in NSW do you still need CTP insurance?

The price of Historic rego in NSW covers the CTP. Total of $50 approx. and with the logbook scheme you get to drive it wherever you like for 60 days a year.

Fellow Frogger!

Wow, ok. I couldn't find specific information regarding the ctp. That makes historic quite appealing. Figuring that it's only weekends and the occasional weekday run that the car would be used it probably fits within 60 days, give or take.

Fellow Frogger

Add the cost of being a member of a participating club. Be aware that some clubs expect you to initially be a member for a qualifying period and also to take the car along to events to remain eligible. For example, I know of one club in NSW that requires the member and car to attend 2 or 3 events in the preceding year to be eligible for their club rego scheme. It's not the NSW govt imposing that rule, but the club. The situation will vary from club to club.

For someone prepared to take on Luthier's free 203, that's a good option to put it back on the road for occasional use. Now if Luthier will agree to get that 203 to a roadworthy standard before giving it away, lowpug could score a free car and drive it home. Two problems solved!

Tadpole

luthier, the price is right, I don't need a photo. I am interested in a 1950 203, i have one to restore but it's a little sad. Happy to come and pick it up.

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information