406-Peugeot Brakes
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Armidillo

Thread: 406-Peugeot Brakes

Default 406-Peugeot Brakes

I haven't posted on the Peugeot forum before but if the knowledge base here is as good as it is on the Citroen forum I'll be delighted.

Advertisement

I have a 1998 406 Peugeot V6 24v with AL4 gearbox which I gave to a friend who found himself car-less. The Peugeot has been sitting for just under a year and under a gum tree. We put a battery in it and it started 3rd crank and ran as sweetly as per normal. I drove it to the shed to get rid of any huntsmen and red-backs (yes there were some including the biggest red-back I have ever seen.) This is when the problem became apparent, no... well almost no brakes. The pedal went to the floor and with pumping I got some braking effect, enough to not go through and wreck my new man-cave.

Further investigation revealed nothing visually amiss either at the wheels or under the bonnet but the braking did seem to improve enough to allow my friend to drive home safely with the temporary permit and with no dramas.

We have now established that if you apply the brakes with the engine switched off, the brakes are firm and apply at the top of travel. Upon starting the engine the pedal goes straight to the floor with braking only occurring at the limit of travel.

We have ideas of where the problem might lie but I'm turning this over to the experts in the hope that you can assist before we commit to needless effort and expense.

S.F.

1. Your V6 406 doesn't have the AL4 gearbox. It has the ZF 4HP20 box. Luckily it's just as unreliable.
    2. There's nothing fancy about 406 brakes. They run Lucas stuff. Sounds like there's an air leak somewhere. Change the fluid in the reservoir and bleed at all 4 corners.
    3. I've got some new (but old) discs and pads for a 406 in my garage (all four corners).

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Thanks Dave,
    Comforting information. I had the 'unreliable' gearbox rebuilt not that many kilometres ago and presumed it was an AL4 for some reason.
    Discs and pads... In Rome?

Quote Originally Posted by ScotFrog View Post
    Thanks Dave,
    Comforting information. I had the 'unreliable' gearbox rebuilt not that many kilometres ago and presumed it was an AL4 for some reason.
    Discs and pads... In Rome?
    Rome was built on Seven Hills...

Seven Hills, Sydney that is

Dave
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Rome was built on Seven Hills...
    I thought you may be renting a chapel in the Vatican for storage of you spares.
    Departed the Aussie Frogs Community 14 September 2018.

The moderator/leader should not operate for the sole benefit of himself and his kind but for the benefit of the people at large and of the AF Fraternity and its patterns, as becomes what he perceives as fitting into place, into his sense of natural justice.
    with apologies to Judy Grahn

Make it in the Chianti Hills and you're on!

Dave
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655

Front brake hoses fail pretty regularly

1000+ Posts

Vaticanus is not one of the seven hills. No spares there.

1000+ Posts

I am assuming that the fluid level has not dropped in the reservoir?

I agree about front brake hoses (have had to replace mine), but if they were the problem you should be able to at least detect fluid on the hose(s) and possibly dripping onto wheel rims or ground, plus level in reservoir should drop.

I have had a similar problem (not as bad) - to the point where it failed a rego check. Seemed like master cylinder failure, but replacing it produced no improvement.

When you press pedal with engine off, your booster is not functioning, but also the ABS unit is not working. It is possible for the ABS (&/or ESP in D9s) to develop internal leaks as pump/valves age, and this seems to be the problem with mine. I have not tried replacing these units on mine, due to cost. It is also possible to get air into the ABS which is very difficult to bleed correctly - mine has been bled, but produced little improvement.

Suggest remove ABS fuse (or unplug wiring harness from ABS unit). If I am on the right track, your pedal will come back to normal. However you will lose load balancing function (if same as D9) so rear end will now lock quite easily esp. on loose or wet surfaces.

If this is the case, before going to the wreckers for a better ABS unit, try bleeding brakes. From D9 experience, this needs to be managed with Lexia/Diagbox (which will activate the ABS pump and waste large amounts of brake fluid) and should be done with fluid reservoir pressurised (ie air pumped into top of reservoir, and held in by an air-tight cap).

Cheers

Alec

PS - got through rego by going to a different inspector, who didn't think the problem was too bad (in my case).
    ScotFrog likes this.

Sounds like a duff master cylinder to me.

Quote Originally Posted by cam85 View Post
    Sounds like a duff master cylinder to me.
    That was my first thoughts too but I didn't want to go down that path till I had second opinions. Thanks.

1000+ Posts

But if it was the master cylinder, wouldn't the pedal sink with the engine not running? Or is it hard to detect without the booster operating?

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Vaticanus is not one of the seven hills. No spares there.
    But there is this...

Renault presents Pope with new electric car - La Stampa
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655

Thread Information