Volvo 240 vs pug 505
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Volvo 240 vs pug 505

Fellow Frogger!

Default Volvo 240 vs pug 505

A strange one, but maybe someone has an insight. If someone wanted a nice older car, that was RWD, reliable for everyday use and relatively easy to keep running would a 505 and a 240 be of similar ranking?

Advertisement

Now, take into account driver enjoyment, chassis balance etc. I'm guessing a 505 has the edge there but I have heard that the old ovlovs are actually ok to throw at a corner.

IWS

I've driven both: 505 which I owned, 240 which my son owned. No contest - 505 wins hands down! Driving the 240 was like driving a barge.

Ian.

was like driving a barge.
    Or an "out of control railway carriage", as the late Phil Irving was known use to describe "barges".
    Doush_504 and Berridale like this.
    Departed the Aussie Frogs Community 14 September 2018.

The moderator/leader should not operate for the sole benefit of himself and his kind but for the benefit of the people at large and of the AF Fraternity and its patterns, as becomes what he perceives as fitting into place, into his sense of natural justice.
    with apologies to Judy Grahn

Fellow Frogger!

Ha, so far the consensus is that no, a Volvo is no substitute for a 505. I'm not really surprised - just saw a very nice original and good condition 240 whilst out on a walk. It's for sale for $1500 with rego - was tempted for a brief moment.

IWS

Quote Originally Posted by lowpugV2 View Post
    Ha, so far the consensus is that no, a Volvo is no substitute for a 505. I'm not really surprised - just saw a very nice original and good condition 240 whilst out on a walk. It's for sale for $1500 with rego - was tempted for a brief moment.
    Don't! My son had one for a while - after being told what great cars they were... A money-pit disaster.

Ian/

Tadpole

I had a Volvo 850 sedan I picked up for less than a grand. Particularly liked the big ol' leather seats and the mini wipers on the headlights! It had heaps of grunt, my dogs loved beach trips in the expansive back seat and was great for a year and a half until a truck threw a rock and cracked the windscreen. With all the airbag gadgets etc linked in - was uneconomical to replace so scrappy got her for $50. I later had an s40 and drove it into the ground - again for less than a grand, if they are at the right price - turn and burn. Just my 20c worth.......
    bowie and Dano like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
    I had a Volvo 850 sedan I picked up for less than a grand. Particularly liked the big ol' leather seats and the mini wipers on the headlights! It had heaps of grunt, my dogs loved beach trips in the expansive back seat and was great for a year and a half until a truck threw a rock and cracked the windscreen. With all the airbag gadgets etc linked in - was uneconomical to replace so scrappy got her for $50. I later had an s40 and drove it into the ground - again for less than a grand, if they are at the right price - turn and burn. Just my 20c worth.......
    However we were discussing handling. And the 240 V 505 to be exact.

Durability and price are but two features that endear vehicles to their drivers.

I'd suggest the 505 has many more than two likable attributes.
    lowpugV2 likes this.

The moderator/leader should not operate for the sole benefit of himself and his kind but for the benefit of the people at large and of the AF Fraternity and its patterns, as becomes what he perceives as fitting into place, into his sense of natural justice.

Tadpole

Fair enough, I was just spruiking on about the Km's a budget Volvo can attain for little outlay....... reliable and for everyday use - as asked by OP.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
    Fair enough, I was just spruiking on about the Km's a budget Volvo can attain for little outlay....... reliable and for everyday use - as asked by OP.
    Yes, exactly. Part of my plan for this second car is not spending a lot so reliability and ease of fixing is important. If it was just about that I'd probably swing the Volvo way. But i do want something good to drive. It needs to be the opposite of our every day family car made of Germanic boredom.

I did once have a Volvo 760 with the prv v6 in it. Paid $400 for it, drove it for 3 months and scrapped it for 200 when the rego ran out. It was rough but ridiculously easy to slide around. If I wasn't moving to the UK at the time I would have kept it!

Fellow Frogger!

I think you will find the 850 is fwd. I don't know which dull German you own but a nice 5 series BMW is a good thing.

Tadpole

this wagon seems to go Ok around corners.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Volvo 240 vs pug 505-850.jpg  
    lozenge likes this.

Tadpole

and this one has the mini wipers too........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Volvo 240 vs pug 505-850-wipers.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by IWS View Post
    Don't! My son had one for a while - after being told what great cars they were...

Ian/
    Speaking of great cars, many here would say the Renault R25 was a great car.
    Jo
    Berridale likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post

I'd suggest the 505 has many more than two likable attributes.
    The 505 definitely has better looks. Classic Pininfarina proportions and lines. It's OK - really was Idle speculation. I have my heart set on a 505.

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Speaking of great cars, many here would say the Renault R25 was a great car.
    Jo
    Watch Narcos on Netflix - the series is full of Renaults.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by philipjh View Post
    I think you will find the 850 is fwd. I don't know which dull German you own but a nice 5 series BMW is a good thing.
    The dull german is an Audi A3. Chosen because my better half has always liked them and ours was a well priced used example. The only good thing I can really say about it is the paint and finish is excellent and the interior is still like new after 7 years.

I wouldn't mind an E39 530i one day...

Fellow Frogger!

Mum had a 240 in Tassie. It served her well with only normal services. I drove it and it felt like an old under powerd Falcon and not rewarding to drive.

When she came back to WA we upgraded to a 740 and again it served her till they took her licence away. I have no experience with the 505 but like them.

Interesting comparison, and totally valid given the cars were aimed at the same market back in the day. Personally I like them both, but the 505 would be my preference. The Pug has the benefit of independent rear suspension and the elegant long wheelbase Pininfarina styling. I don't think anyone could call the 240 styling elegant. I'd say the ride in a 505 would be better than a live axled 240, and among the best ride of any car anywhere...even today. Both cars, however, are tough and reliable and a good one would be enjoyable as a modern daily classic.

1976 504 Ti (Avocado green)
    1997 106 GTi (Diablo Red NZ daily driver)
    2000 306 XT (soon to be NZ daily driver)
    1972 Datsun 1600 Project

Fellow Frogger!

A very balanced view, thanks

Years ago, I bought a Volvo wagon when my DS was off the road for resto for a few months.

I've never owned one since.
    Once upon a time:

Many R4s (incl. fourgonnette), R5LS, R16TS.

GS 1015, 1220, sedans and wagons.
    CX 2200, 2400.
    ID 1966, 1969, DS21H, DSpecial, DS23 Pallas.
    C5 2002, 2004 petrol and diesel.
    D Special 1974
    Xantia Activa 1998 (look out Gulargambone)
    GS 5 speed sedan (what a tale)
    1986 2CV6
    CX25GTi 1985 auto
    CX2500 IE Pallas 1985 auto
    DS23EFI 1975 Pallas

And now:

C5 2.2 HDI 2005 wagon
    DS23 1973 Pallas

I have had both 505 GTi Wagon and currently ( the wife ) has a MINT 92 240 Wagon.

The 505 wins in every respect of ride compared to the Volvo. The Volvo in the front end is ok but the rear is too stiff. ( the wagons have more spring rate and thinner roll bar ). Like any old car if theres a little more weight in the back its softer.

The 240 would IMO go further than a 505 as ive had a few and they have never let me down. The pugs on the other hand, although durable of course seems to give more niggling trouble. Everyones experience is going to be different.

I love the classic 'schtick' or 'brick' look of the Volvo. They are unmistakably Volvo! When they are in good condition they present very well amongst all the current curvy shiz thats on the market today.

They are both under powered cars IMO although the Pug would probably still come out ontop in a drag... They are both just gentle cruisers.

A good ( hard to find ) 505 wagon is an exceptional car alas a large car. The 240 also a very capable car, just not anywhere near the ride comfort of the Pug but not that bad. THe Volvo is also a narrow car which makes it easy to park and has a crazy crazy crazy good turning circle! The Volvo actually handles ok in the turns. Ive upgraded the roll bars ( which is easy and cheap ) front and back on the wifes 240 and its very neutral and willing.

Almost every part for the Volvo is available still, as for the 505....good luck!

There is a strong community of good Volvo guys Ive recently discovered who are certainly more welcoming than a lot of the crowd can be here fwiw. Volvo 240 vs pug 505-img_4883.jpgVolvo 240 vs pug 505-img_4882.jpgVolvo 240 vs pug 505-img_4880.jpgVolvo 240 vs pug 505-img_4879.jpgVolvo 240 vs pug 505-img_4878.jpgVolvo 240 vs pug 505-img_4877.jpgVolvo 240 vs pug 505-img_4876.jpg
    Cruise504 and peujohn like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Wow, cam85, that is a clean wagon. That is another thing that crossed my mind. I would quite like the ability to throw bikes/surfboards/life junk in the back. Interesting perspective on parts available too. That does have me worried. Fall in Love with a 505 and have it off the road cause you can't get x part anymore. You certainly see more Volvo's than pugs. I saw a nice wagon around kirribilli yesterday. Had nicely dishes and polished wheels on it. Looked very cool.
    Basically I need land or a big garage!

Whatever you get, get a couple so you can keep one running all the time

At the risk of being shot, have you considered an R31 Skyline? I wouldn't normally say this in reference to a Pug, but seeing you're talking Volvo I think it's worth mentioning. Similar to a Volvo 240 in my opinion, but with a better engine. Available in sedan and wagon, tough, Aussie built and good for parts availability. They are a surprisingly nice drive. I've had a manual Silhouette sedan and it was brilliant. Again, ride and handling no match for 505 though. That's all I'll say on the Nissan, this is a French car forum after all!

1976 504 Ti (Avocado green)
    1997 106 GTi (Diablo Red NZ daily driver)
    2000 306 XT (soon to be NZ daily driver)
    1972 Datsun 1600 Project

As I've said before I would not be worried about the supply of spare parts as their are a number of sources for parts for these cars both here and overseas, also parts are generally well priced, I've found that anything that is very expensive is usually something that lasts a long tome, eg. rear wheel bearings. Get the right model and these cars are a great touring car that handle and ride very well, while they are not the quickest car around, even in auto form they can be driven quite briskly and achieve surprising travel times.
    Regards
    Neil

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information