Hypothetical: barn find 505
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By lozenge

Thread: Hypothetical: barn find 505

Fellow Frogger!

Default Hypothetical: barn find 505

Without giving too much away. What would be involved in restoring an 84 505 GTi, 3 speed back into daily driver readyness?

Advertisement

Say you've been offered something in almost mint condition, still runs and drives, has an interior that looks 5 years old, not 34... Also has had regular checks and maintenance etc and factor in new timing belt, tyres, exhaust etc.

What else would need to be checked and or replaced? Also considering that the Kay's are well below 200,00... Hypothetically speaking of course.

Sounds like a good find!

1990 Renault 5 GT turbo
    ####current rides####
    1994 205 gti 1.9 sorento green
    1988 205 gti 1.9 uk import grey
    2001 clio 172 sport ph1 #44/85
    1998 306 gti6. Blaze yellow
    1992 Honda Fireblade
    2013 Yamaha fzs sho Jetski
    1998 Supra RZ twin turbo white
    1999 Wrx classic gc8 sonic blue

na na, he ain't found it, he's just supposing...
    JustinJapan1964 and Dano like this.

The cooling system is paramount. Check the amount of coolant and what colour it is. If very dirty or no colour, then the head probably has corrosion.

If the head gasket has not been done in 10 years you will probably have to replace it....but it's no big deal. And likewise with the water pump.

The handbrake mechanism gets lazy and partially sticks on, causing overheated rear pads. Not to mention slowing down the car.

To rfemedy that, fit small "helper" coil springs at the cable ends, as described here (somewhere....I'm not about to describe it now ). Also lubricate and re-grease inside the tiny plastic caps at rear of each rear caliper.

Make sure the fuel hose (wherever it is pressurised) is in good condition. Fires start easily.

If you buy it, be very careful to only use Dextron 2 in the auto gearbox. Joe Blow down the local garage may use Dex 3.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by lozenge View Post
    na na, he ain't found it, he's just supposing...
    Exactly 😉

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the information beano, hadn't considered fuel lines. Adding to the list.
    I'm potentially spending quite a chunk of money to aquire this mythical beast, last thing I want is a fire.

I don't know a lot about GTI fuel systems, but I have seen SO many carburettored engines with dodgy fuel lines between the pump and the carby. Two of my friends actually had fuel leaking out there and it's right next to the distributor. I was amazed ....with both....that they had not already had an engine fire. Which is not a good thing if you don't have a fire extinguisher, which neither had....

I once replaced my fuel line with some from Repco which I bought half a metre of. I examined it (by flexing it) only one year later, and there were lots of small cracks in the outside. Must have been a dodgy batch, or quite old stock.

Hi, As far as I know, the only source of Dexron11 is Penrite with their Penrite Classic mineral ATF, I usually buy mine from Repco.
    Regards
    Neil

Fellow Frogger!

I should also add that I'm weighing up this mythical unicorn 505 with BigH's 505 "outback" that car seems like a solid thing and the simplicity of a xn1 is appealing, having a Carby and less rubber spaghetti to get tangled (or leak). Also like the idea of cleaning up the ports on the head with my Dremel and attaching a Weber or two to it....

Completely different beasts but each has advantages.

On the inlet side, the three square ports are more than adequate. No dremel grinding needed.

On the exhaust side, be very careful removing metal...you can easily weaken the wall between exhaust port and cooling system.
    Maybe a very mild grind and a polish ?

The absolute best Weber is one from a Renault Fuego. No fiddling about with jets necessary....just goes more or less straight on, but you may need a couple of small fittings.
    Falcon or 2 litre Cortina Webers need to have their jets fiddled with and I found their acceleration curve to be non-linear.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Beano View Post
    On the inlet side, the three square ports are more than adequate. No dremel grinding needed.

On the exhaust side, be very careful removing metal...you can easily weaken the wall between exhaust port and cooling system.
    Maybe a very mild grind and a polish ?

The absolute best Weber is one from a Renault Fuego. No fiddling about with jets necessary....just goes more or less straight on, but you may need a couple of small fittings.
    Falcon or 2 litre Cortina Webers need to have their jets fiddled with and I found their acceleration curve to be non-linear.
    Excellent, thanks Beano. Fuego carbs must be plentiful and I'm guessing easy to rebuild if needed.
    This may be the way I go. Might just leave the ports alone. Just liked the idea of cleaning it all up but I'm guessing the Peugeot castings are better than the equivalent GM or Ford head.

To add...the A/C will need looking at.
    Seals and dryer...regass...might look at putting in modern gas compressor.
    Front end rubbers and shocks...easy DIY.

I would pay what ever it it takes to get a SII GTI 5 speed in the same condition....
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma View Post
    To add...the A/C will need looking at.
    Seals and dryer...regass...might look at putting in modern gas compressor.
    Front end rubbers and shocks...easy DIY.

I would pay what ever it it takes to get a SII GTI 5 speed in the same condition....
    That's one of the things holding me up, the unicorn car is a 3 speed. I could live it, but I'd always want a manual. I guess a conversion can be done but if the auto works, why mess with an original car?

Before my 505, I had never owned an automatic. But when I started driving it, I started to appreciate how wonderfully cruisy it felt, and I was never tempted to drive fast or fang it around. With the 3 speed auto, they handle beautifully, though they are geared a bit low. At 100 kmh the engine vrevs at almost 4000 ! Easy solution : remove the 4.11 diff and fit a 3.77 or thereabouts.

Fifteen years later, in my late 50s, I bought a manual 206 and got a couple of speeding fines very quickly. It is difficult to drive one of those slowly.

Make a list of parts, work needed, unexpected costs; then double it. Seals, gaskets etc. need to be replaced, which may involve stripping motors, gearboxes and diffs.

I am two weeks into stripping down my 1985 GTi. is original and has done over 60000kms.The cost to restore it is horrendous, but that is my choice. If your car is basically good, leave it alone and service it well.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Beano View Post

Fifteen years later, in my late 50s, I bought a manual 206 and got a couple of speeding fines very quickly. It is difficult to drive one of those slowly.
    Yep, I understand this. With my brief GTi6 ownership I reverted immediately back to P-plater driving - was too addictive revving it out and throwing it through corners. What I need is a cruiser - the only time I get to myself now is the occasional drive to the beach for an early surf or the drive to work. I want a relaxing car.
    I'd still prefer manual but can definitely see the advantage of a smooth Auto, especially in Sydney traffic!

Basically, anything would be better than my wifes Audi A3 with a DSG - that is an annoying car/transmission.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by jacques de mort View Post
    Make a list of parts, work needed, unexpected costs; then double it. Seals, gaskets etc. need to be replaced, which may involve stripping motors, gearboxes and diffs.

I am two weeks into stripping down my 1985 GTi. is original and has done over 60000kms.The cost to restore it is horrendous, but that is my choice. If your car is basically good, leave it alone and service it well.
    Sage advice. Yet I will follow your restoration with interest - maybe after a few years with whatever 505 I end up with I'll be doing the same thing. Much better than spending $30+k on a new car that will depreciate to nothing and disintegrate within 5 years.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lowpugV2 View Post
    Excellent, thanks Beano. Fuego carbs must be plentiful and I'm guessing easy to rebuild if needed.
    This may be the way I go. Might just leave the ports alone. Just liked the idea of cleaning it all up but I'm guessing the Peugeot castings are better than the equivalent GM or Ford head.
    Damn the Fuego carby might be worth more than ...the car if that trend continues... There used to be plenty of rebuild kits around, but I think my little stock I had has been depleted by helping out other Fuego owners over the years, so there might be a few carbies that have been rebuilt around, sans the cars.

Ken

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by lowpugV2 View Post
    Yep, I understand this. With my brief GTi6 ownership I reverted immediately back to P-plater driving - was too addictive revving it out and throwing it through corners. What I need is a cruiser - the only time I get to myself now is the occasional drive to the beach for an early surf or the drive to work. I want a relaxing car.
    I'd still prefer manual but can definitely see the advantage of a smooth Auto, especially in Sydney traffic!

Basically, anything would be better than my wifes Audi A3 with a DSG - that is an annoying car/transmission.
    A 505 might not be the best option if you want a sedate cruiser, its a beautifully balanced car and enjoys driving in the sideways direction. Perhaps a 404, 604, 605, 407, or most Citroens?
    406 HDi

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by hypermiler View Post
    A 505 might not be the best option if you want a sedate cruiser, its a beautifully balanced car and enjoys driving in the sideways direction. Perhaps a 404, 604, 605, 407, or most Citroens?
    Well, for me it's a cruiser. I remember my STi from 10 years ago. It's still one of the nicest cars I've driven. Yes it could be driven briskly and was fun to do so but it also made for a nice weekend car, surfboard on roof, windows down etc. I think the comfortable seats, compliance and general lack of power made it great for this.

Thread Information