• Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By seasink
  • 2 Post By seasink

Thread: Peugeot 308 rough idle

Tadpole

Default Peugeot 308 rough idle

Hey guys,

I purchased a 2008 Peugeot 308 XSE Turbo 1.6 Petrol a few months back. Ever since I got it on cold startups (mornings) or after being left for a few hours, the engine will idle rough for the first 30 seconds or so. You can physically see the engine jerking as if itís struggling to get power and the issue is worse when the a/c is on with the engine sometimes stalling. After it has warmed up it idles perfectly around 750 rpm and 850 with a/c on.

I have replaced the following within the last month:

Spark plugs
    Air filter
    Oil + filter
    Battery
    Oxygen sensor

I took it into Peugeot dealership for them to have a look as it was also - using too much fuel, and intermittently (randomly) some days it would lack all acceleration power and struggle to maintain 50kph up a hill with pedal on the floor (still driveable just slow and revving more).

All they said was that because the oxygen sensor wasnít genuine (I had replaced it after getting a depollution fault a month ago which did fix the error and fault has not reappeared). That without getting a genuine sensor their readings are being thrown off so it could be the sensor or something else (Great... could be).

Advertisement

Got the genuine sensor installed and as I thought, the idle is still rough and jerking when starting after a few hours of sitting. The power loss hasnít reoccurred as of yet and Iím keeping my eye on the fuel consumption, it seems a bit better.

Any ideas on this annoying issue that presents no fault codes??m

1000+ Posts

What is the mileage?

You can get clues from Diagbox reading the computer values without any error codes being stored.

The turbo motor has direct injection into the cylinders, so no petrol cleans the valves as in the old days, and this can lead to crud build-up on the valves, and air starvation. It can cause missing at all speeds. With the manifold hidden under the windscreen it isn't easy to see directly.

There are decent independent workshops in Qld, and someone local may come along soon to help.
    Doush_504 likes this.

Tadpole

It has 135,000kms. I have the Diagbox diagnostics kit on the way from eBay at the moment so shouldnít be too long before it is here. I would of assumed that the Peugeot workshop would have hooked it up to the computer system and singled out something else rather than just tell me I didnít have a genuine oxygen sensor...

Iím a bit hesitant to return it to them at the moment, is it relatively easy to read the values and draw conclusions on your own? I know that itís not possible to update the computer systems or connect to Peugeot servers with a knockoff from eBay but I just have a feeling it has to do with that.

Cheers for the reply,

Fellow Frogger!

Hi

Symptoms point to the high pressure fuel pump which are a known fault. Google THP high pressure pump or mini r56 high pressure fuel pump.

Kaza

1000+ Posts

The HP pump problem can throw up codes P0087 and P2192, and the engine check light. It gives power loss when driving. Before spending that sort of $$$ money check the low side pressure (5 bars).

With no codes and that mileage I'd try to find out what has been done at service to keep the valves clean. Cars may show misses and hesitation at one third of that number of kilometres.
    David S and SLC206 like this.

Tadpole

Iím thinking itís something more trivial than that in my opinion. It does not actually lose power while driving (I.e in motion on highway). It lost significant power after idling waiting for takeaway, and then putting it from neutral to drive while in motion fixed it?? Weird right. If it were something so mechanical I doubt it would be as intermittent as that.

It also lost significant power after a brief stop at my house, whereby I pulled in to driveway, turned engine off, grabbed something and left (all less than 5 minutes). So when I turned car back on the power was gone..

Thanks again for the input, every little thing helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Noah66 View Post
    ….. every little thing helps!
    Stop buying takeaway!!!

Jo

1000+ Posts

Still on breathing. Much less likely is a turbo problem. Rev and release the pedal and look at the turbo waste gate rod at the same time. It shouldn't vibrate about if the setup is good. I have seen this on a hot engine.

Tadpole

Did not know what to look for when looking at the turbo however today changed the rocker cover gaskets due to suspected leak and noticed this hose at the back of the cover not plugged into anything.. canít see where it would go or what it goes into.. very confused.

https://ibb.co/cUa9d7

1000+ Posts

I'm not under these enough to recognise the coupling. It isn't the oil separator connection (back right of cover)..

Here are some drawings of the rear of the 1.6 turbo. Two tubes may be candidates - the connection from the oil separator for blow-by gases (d), and the take off for the fuel vapour canister (17).
    Peugeot 308 rough idle-screenshot-2.jpgPeugeot 308 rough idle-screenshot-3.jpg
    Last edited by seasink; 16th February 2018 at 09:14 PM.

Tadpole

Thanks again for the info. Do you think it could be causing any of the aforementioned problems? It doesnít seem to be doing anything at all when Iíve ran the engine and observed and I really canít see where/how it would connect to anything near.

1000+ Posts

You'll have to climb right under to see those tubes and connections. A leaky vapour purge system isn't going to be good at idle. I don't recognise that hose connection, but it isn't visible up at the top there on my turbo DS3.

Tadpole

After taking the inlet manifold off to clean the crud off the inlet valves, I thought it would be a perfect opportunity to inspect the hose I mentioned above. The other end that I post connects to the turbocharger pressure solenoid valve. Hereís the pic.

https://ibb.co/gToN0x

Any ideas where the other end of that hose connects to now? Cheers

1000+ Posts

I can't work out where the second pic was photographed from, but the mystery hose in the first pic is indeed fitted to my 1.6THP DS3. It is hidden away, probably by design, a small bore nylon tube, and the rubber end fitting is factory-capped.

Tadpole

So it is just sitting there unconnected on yours too? Strange stuff haha. Iím glad that it isnít the cause of my problems.. somewhat.

Tadpole

Oh and I took that photo with the inlet manifold off at the rear of the engine. The component in the picture is connected to the inlet manifold with a little rubber connection and slips off when you need to remove manifold.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Noah66 View Post
    Hey guys,

Ever since I got it on cold startups (mornings) or after being left for a few hours, the engine will idle rough for the first 30 seconds or so.
    Hi Noah66,

Did you solve your above issue?I am having exactly the same issue every morning.Mine is a 2011 308 turbo XSE petrol.It feels as if the engine is going to fall apart and I am not sure if it causes some long term damage.At the moment I am giving it a good rev at around 2000 rpm for about 30 seconds and its settles down nicely after that.

Thread Information