newbie fuel query
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default newbie fuel query

Hey guys, just picked up 2008 307CC
    Looked at fuel cap and it said Unleaded Fuel only. We took that to mean normal unleaded. We didnít see the 95/98 on the side.
    We filled up with normal unleaded,

Is the engine going to be ok ?

Itís going in for a full service inside a week. We will def make sure to use 95 Fuel in the future

Advertisement

Thanks!

1000+ Posts

The computer will make adjustments for the lower octane. There is a knock sensor, should that firing problem occur. The most likely short term effect is reduced efficiency. Really low octane won't be compensated for. Never deliberately let an engine knock.

Tadpole

Would driving this tank of fuel out be ok ?
    will then take in for service with a tank of 95 in it

1000+ Posts

I would have thought that the owner handbook would advise.

Generally speaking the lower the octane rating the higher the energy density. However the computer will advance timing until it detects pre-ignition occurring. If you have a higher octane fuel, then that advancing will go further. That is good for power. But the fuel being used which allows that has lower energy density & thus less power per ignition event. That is bad for power.

So, a trade-off. The higher octane fuel allows the engine to run more efficiently (courtesy of computer intervention) but the fuel which allows this (95 & 98 instead of 91) develops less energy per unit. Probably a small victory for the higher octane fuel.

However, I suggest that the upshot of this is that, given price differences, you should nonetheless use the lowest octane fuel allowable. Again, the handbook (or a dealer) will advise what that is.

Just ensure that you use a fuel system cleaner periodically (5k) to clean injectors & the back of the inlet valves.

cheers! Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Mobbsy View Post
    Hey guys, just picked up 2008 307CC
    Looked at fuel cap and it said Unleaded Fuel only. We took that to mean normal unleaded. We didnít see the 95/98 on the side.
    We filled up with normal unleaded,

Is the engine going to be ok ?

Itís going in for a full service inside a week. We will def make sure to use 95 Fuel in the future

Thanks!
    I've always used 98 Ron.. Never had a problem and the engine is hitting 300k. Never used injection cleaners.

I wouldn't stress too much. Maybe alternate between low and high octane will be a good balance. Check the manual as well.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thread Information