• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New 306 S16 owner.

Tadpole

Default New 306 S16 owner.

Hi,

I'm the very proud second owner of a 95 306 S16 with 84k on the clock.

It came with a powerchip installed in the Engine Management Computer. I was wondering if anyone had any advice regarding swapping the chip back to the original (which came with the car). I would feel happier with the stock chip installed. Should I get a dealer to do it?

I guess I have to unplug the negative battery terminal, remove the computer, replace the chip and return everything to normal. Are there any tricks or major dangers?

Also, I was reading the forums and I noticed the discussion reduced engine power from broken diaphragms in the variable intake system. Should I be concerned about this? I thought the car was pretty powerful, but have only driven a Holden Astra before this beauty. How much power is lost when this happens?

Thanks for any help in advance. I love the car!

Regards,

Advertisement

Dave

If the diaphrams are not working, you'll notice a big difference in power when you hiot 4,000rpm. Pop the bonnet with the engine running and flip the throttle. You should notice the shafts of the diaphrams pulling in almost imediatly, then returning about 1 second after the throttle comes back to idle. If they are doing that, then there should not be any issues with them.

84,000kms, make sure the cam belt has been done. It's an $800 job including 80,000kms service if it hasn't.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

luca luca luca.....brad is in brisie.....dave is in tassie......however I m in melbourne......

Maybe u d like to come by for a meet....and i ll show u what my boat anchor can do with your 205......hehehehheh.......what did u say...let the games begin.....hhehheheh

Dave......luca is just kidding......s16 are great cars....i ve got one 2...i ve got a 205 gti as well...so i know how good they r 2.....but they r no s16 (in straight out speed)(although they r bloody awesome in gear as well).......Anyway......i wouldn t worry 2 much about the diaphrams...they r not expensive to replace anyway...something u could do youself.....just make sure timing belt is done and that she s well serviced ...ie. good oil, plugs, filter etc....well done with the purchase.....

cheers
    dino

Icon10

Dave,
    Welcome to and congratulations on your choice.

If you can, talk to the previous owner and ask them why the chip was changed, it may be that the replacement chip gives a better result or the original one was replaced in an attempt to cure an obscure fault
    They may have spec sheets and more info.

For a 10% all round improvement in everything you will be needing an Aussiefrogs sticker send me a pm

Cheers Ranger

Tadpole

Thanks for the advice.

I think the chip was replaced to improve the driveability around town. I'll replace the original today and see If there's a difference.

The car's been run on Mobil1 from its first service. The timing belt was done at 80K. Front rotors are new. It also came with a new Peugeot Sport Group A exhaust as an extra. It was fitted once, for a few weeks. I think the previous owner found it too loud.

The original owner bought it for Targa Tas, but never entered.

Thanks,

Dave

Zen

Dave,

Congrats on the purchase, I'm sure your enjoyment is just going to grow. I still like the cornering stability of the S16 over the GTi180 when pushed, I'm sure it's attributed to wheelbase dimensions. I thought Powerchips only loads a new mapping for the ECU/EMS, not a new unit all together nor a piggy back chip?

I've used Mobil 1 from new in the S16 and my mechanic said they had the cleanest heads he'd seen or heard of from a car that had done over 200,000km. I think it's worth it.

Now, if I can get a good 205 GTi I will rule the world.

Rich
    Last edited by Zen; 8th May 2004 at 09:37 AM.

codito ergo sum == code monkey

'04 206 GTi 180
    '95 306 S16

Quote Originally Posted by dino
    luca luca luca.....brad is in brisie.....dave is in tassie......however I m in melbourne......

Maybe u d like to come by for a meet....and i ll show u what my boat anchor can do with your 205......hehehehheh.......what did u say...let the games begin.....hhehheheh

Dave......luca is just kidding......s16 are great cars....i ve got one 2...i ve got a 205 gti as well...so i know how good they r 2.....but they r no s16 (in straight out speed)(although they r bloody awesome in gear as well).......Anyway......i wouldn t worry 2 much about the diaphrams...they r not expensive to replace anyway...something u could do youself.....just make sure timing belt is done and that she s well serviced ...ie. good oil, plugs, filter etc....well done with the purchase.....

cheers
    dino
    Dino you're right i was kidding... kidding myself that i wanted to buy a S16 over my 205. Its an inferior can and if you would liek to meet up on a road with some twisting turns it would be my pleasure to show you how the gazel wins the race.

The thing that sits in my mind about the S16 is that it's too heavy and when u floor it there's a dead spot in the motor while you wait for the second cam to kick in to take you to red line. And the gap is enormous... you've actually got time for a cup of tea and a biscut.

Apart from that the S16 is dream wheels.

Tadpole

Zen:
    Sorry. I didn't make myself clear. The powerchip is just a programmable EEPROM chip on the computer. I'll change it over and see if there's a difference.

I had a custom chip done for my S16 by Fueltronics many years ago. It was done on the dyno and the power went from 67kW to 78kW. The factory programming is very average...... If yours has been done properly you should have a similar gain and it would be worth keeping it in.

The chips are relatively simple to swap (they plug into a socket inside the EFI computer), but you need to be careful of static electricity which can fry the chip and/or EFI computer.
    David
    Former 306 S16 owner- now own a Mondeo ST24 V6

luca....heheheh....u r a funny guy......in a good way though......i know what u r talking about in regards to s16 being a bit slow to wind up power.......but therein lies the trick...even the WHEELS magazine journalist needed time to figure it out.....unlike the 205 which pours torque throughout the range the s16 is more like a honda motor.....it needs to be wound up but once u get the revs high and if u have a faintest about being in the right gear....the car is an absolute screamer......
    as for the 205 and the twisties.....well they r the beez knees....almost....problem with 205 is it makes u believe there is alot more going on than there really is......ie...car causes delusions of grandeur....(remeber i have one)....the s16 is probably just as good and quite easily outruns WRXes through the twisties.....so the s16 can hold its own quite well when in good hands......

cheers
    dino

Zen

Not to add fuel to the whole 205 GTi vs. 306 S16 debate, but talking to people who have 205 GTi's, they all say that it's a more involved drive, ie. doing 60km/h through twisties in an S16/GTi6 doesn't excite. Doing the same speed in a 205 GTi and it feels like you're doing well over 80km/h. Anyone apart from Luca want to prove that theory wrong?

Rich

'04 206 GTi 180
    '95 306 S16

My memory must be failing me, as my S16 certainly didn't like revving out like a Honda motor- at least not with the standard exhaust system . The GTi6 I test drove was a totally different matter .
    David

Mondeo.....yes, your memory is failing u.....remeber i am talking 94/95 cars......so am not exactly saying the s16 screams like an S2000 (2004)....r u getting my drift....s16 more like a good early 90ees integra.....ie....much more dependant on revs than a 205 gti....really the 306 s16 should have been called 306Mi16......but we r talking variable inlet intake...sure its not quite honda vtec (at the time)(although some might say its better).....and consider how sweetly the s16 revs out.....maybe u can pick a better engine to compare it to......i think my honda comment was appropriate.....

cheers
    dino

ps....the little corrolla gti 1.6l.....was a sweet motor and if it (in bigger guise) could have delivered similar torque (according to redline)...would also be a good comparo.......the other one that comes to mind are the fiat/lancia twin cams.....again power is delivered with plenty of revs....which is typical of twin cam engines......

ps....and my s16 revs out quite fine with what seems like a stock exhaust.....interesting that it runs a raising rate (melpaso) fuel press. regulator.....i dont even know if the cams are stock....but my neighbour whos driven an s16 as well swears that mine is lumpier....

as for lucas comments.....well...i must say i agree with him from a certain perspective......yes the 205 is much much more involving.....and yes it can be delusional........but (BUT).....if you ve got b*lls big enough the 205 might be able to take u to an extreme that probably doesnt feel humanly achiavable in a 306.....205s are if u dont mind me saying it F****D UP cars...and when driven in anger through the twisties there is trully not many out there that can match it in stock form....obviously the cars performance (205s that is ) is therefore dependant and directly proportional to how F****D UP the driver is.....maybe pschychotic is a better term....

hi zen,

youve so got to hook up with someone who owns a 205gti and go for a blat - only then youll realise what journos, enthusiasts, and owners have been on about since it was ever scribed on an etch-a-sketch.

the 205gti a more involving drive than an s16?

yup.

driving a gti is a back to basics-everything rattles banger if ever there was one. there is just so much (some might say overkill) feedback. everything from manic throttle response, hairy chested gearing, point and shoot steering (but you will need to fight it thru hard corners coz itll load up), shit brakes, and a sometimes uncontrolable rear end that needs to be tamed in the twisties.

the s16 on the otherhand is a "softer" translation that is ultimately less involving and, yes, argueably less entertaining. the reason why i say this is because, "driving" an s16 through bendy roads is so easy! the steering (its nicely weighted) doesnt load up on corners, blipping the throttle doesnt give you much of a rush unless youre mid or close to red lining the fkr, and the ride is more compliant (you dont feel every single tarmac blemish as you do with the hard set up of the gti). the rear end will always give you time to correct it, as opposed to the snap killer oversteer of the gti. you feel much safer in an s16!

for spinning side kick to the head fun? thats easy - go the gti.

i want to impress the girliefriend without knocking out her tampon down the great ocean road type of fun? the s16's the answer.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

i want to impress the girliefriend without knocking out her tampon down the great ocean road type of fun? the s16's the answer.

considering its 1.30 AM......and this time is reserved for LURKERS like me(lucas terminology).....thats a pretty good and successfull attempt at humour....

cheers
    dino

Zen

Pugjet,

Oh, I agree 100% and then some. I haven't driven a 205 GTi but that will soon change. Pure driving pleasure belongs to the GTi. The S16 is a much more forgiving car and can be pushed to the limit easier without it biting your ass if pushed too far. What I was replying to was the comment that a GTi would beat an S16 through twisting turns. I'm not saying the S16 would obliterate the GTi but from what I've seen the S16 would edge it slightly on a timed basis. I'm talking both cars stock or with similar mods done to both or having the same driver in a time trial. It would still come down to the driver. Of course one would push harder in a car that's more forgiving.

I'm letting my fiancee *edit* drive the S16, if it was a GTi it'd be a different story 'cos it'd really be a handful for her.

Rich
    Last edited by Zen; 9th May 2004 at 04:13 PM.

'04 206 GTi 180
    '95 306 S16

Quote Originally Posted by dino
    luca....heheheh....u r a funny guy......
    Funny?? funny how? like i'm a clown and i'm here 2 amuse you?

How am i "funny" Dino? What the fak makes me FUNNY?

What I was replying to was the comment that a GTi would beat an S16 through twisting turns. I'm not saying the S16 would obliterate the GTi but from what I've seen the S16 would edge it slightly on a timed basis. I'm talking both cars stock or with similar mods done to both or having the same driver in a time trial.

man, i'd like to think itd be like splitting hairs, really.

go the mojo peugeot .

EDIT: add txt
    Last edited by pugjet; 9th May 2004 at 11:29 AM.
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Luca
    Funny?? funny how? like i'm a clown and i'm here 2 amuse you?

How am i "funny" Dino? What the fak makes me FUNNY?
    hahaha, Lu-caaa! dont get your knickers in a knot!hahaha

he thinks your funny quote unquote: "in a good way"

Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by dino
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    luca....heheheh....u r a funny guy......in a good way though......i know what u r talking about in regards to s16 being a bit slow to wind up power...

hahaha... you guysh.

current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Zen
    I'm letting my fiance drive the S16,

Rich
    Did I miss something here???
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Zen

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    Did I miss something here???
    LOL. Well, after 6 years Lauren hates me calling her my "girlfriend". She slapped me when I said I'd call her "muh biatch" instead so I had to call her something else. It's not official I guess but it's a given.

Rich

'04 206 GTi 180
    '95 306 S16

hahaha you guys are all funny, if one particular car was clearly better, we'd all be driving the same freaking thing. My previous corolla would eat a 205 for brekky and do it all day without missing a beat (on the track only). I can't comment on how it would compare in driving involvement or enjoyment though. Ultimately I want to own a 205 gti because it is legendary, a car I've always wanted. If there are 10 pugs all lined up, I'll always go straight to the 205 to check it out. It is the car that got Peugeot on the hot hatch track. If and when I get one, I will never sell it. For daily driving though, I like something with a little more refinement.

Quote Originally Posted by Zen
    LOL. Well, after 6 years Lauren hates me calling her my "girlfriend". She slapped me when I said I'd call her "muh biatch" instead so I had to call her something else. It's not official I guess but it's a given.

Rich
    I know exactly what you mean Rich! LOL
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Quote Originally Posted by MondeoST24
    I had a custom chip done for my S16 by Fueltronics many years ago. It was done on the dyno and the power went from 67kW to 78kW. The factory programming is very average...... If yours has been done properly you should have a similar gain and it would be worth keeping it in.

The chips are relatively simple to swap (they plug into a socket inside the EFI computer), but you need to be careful of static electricity which can fry the chip and/or EFI computer.
    Mondeo, private message sent.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Quote Originally Posted by MondeoST24

Hey David, have you still got the chip? How much did it cost?
    FOR SALE 1995 PEUGEOT 306S16

I let it go in the car. I traded it in at a local Ford dealer and within a couple of days it was for sale at the Peugeot dealer! I was pissed at the Peugeot dealer because every place I went for a trade in would ring them and they, knowing full well who's car it was, would give crap trade in values. They had offered me $27000 on a new 406, but I was getting offered only $19000 at other dealers eg. Ford and Holden (which was less than Redbook value for the average 100000kms and no options at the time!)

It had Spax front adjustable shocks, Brembo crossdrilled front discs with Mintex M1144 pads, full leather interior, factory sunroof, factory 10 disc changer, 2.25" stainless exhaust, Ramair airfilter, and only 37000km on it in five years... I've got no idea who owns it now? Yes, I do miss it.

Possibly someone on here has it now?
    David

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information