• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ianrobbo

Thread: Pug 404 Park Indicator and Choke Cable

Fellow Frogger!

Default Pug 404 Park Indicator and Choke Cable

Guys need some info,

Need to replace the choke cable, the inner cable is long enough but the sleeves seems to be 2 inches shorter. Did the dash have any indicator filament to indicate choke had been pulled? found an odd wire connector on the original choke cable.
    Pug 404 Park Indicator and Choke Cable-20180209_211221.jpg

As for the Park Indicator, I did managed to find two types, one is full orange color and the other is half clear and half red. Any idea if the 404's used the orange type or the one below? and is the clear color on top or the red is supposed to be on top?
    Pug 404 Park Indicator and Choke Cable-20180208_141638.jpg

Thanks guys.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

The split red/white is red to rear and white to front.
    DeeCee likes this.

IWS

I recall that my last 404 - 68 Wagon - had an orange dash light to indicate choke on.

And the parking lights - on my 404s: my '63 model was plain white, the '68 model had red/white.

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by peugeotnut View Post
    Guys need some info,

Need to replace the choke cable, the inner cable is long enough but the sleeves seems to be 2 inches shorter. Did the dash have any indicator filament to indicate choke had been pulled? found an odd wire connector on the original choke cable.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180209_211221.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	103392

As for the Park Indicator, I did managed to find two types, one is full orange color and the other is half clear and half red. Any idea if the 404's used the orange type or the one below? and is the clear color on top or the red is supposed to be on top?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180208_141638.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	103393

Thanks guys.
    White + red from memory . Which is logical, since Australian ADRs forbid white lights facing rearwards.

On 404s these light are nothing but a PITA. They usually get forgotten and left on for days on end, which cause the lenses to fuse to the lamps.

If I was restoring a 404 again, I'd fit Led warning lights inside the car. And/or make sure the sidelights are disabled when the ignition is on.

The choke warning light is switch to ground circuit, with a contact at the top of bowden cable.

The indicator lamp is on the cluster and is orange.Pug 404 Park Indicator and Choke Cable-cluster-legend.jpg
    Last edited by robmac; 10th February 2018 at 10:38 AM.
    Departed the Aussie Frogs Community 14 September 2018.

The moderator/leader should not operate for the sole benefit of himself and his kind but for the benefit of the people at large and of the AF Fraternity and its patterns, as becomes what he perceives as fitting into place, into his sense of natural justice.
    with apologies to Judy Grahn

I don't remember the side lights (park indicators) being horizontally orientated and my trusty repro 404 brochure shows them being vertically orientated with the red at the back.

Hi Peugeotnut, my 1969 sedan has an orange warning light for the choke - middle on the left. However I do not have side parking lights at all! Was this an Australian change for the later cars?

Glenn

Always vertical. Seems strange the outer cable is short. They are clamped into place on the carbie body. From the factory the ouiter is shorter. You're in luck, I was just cleaning up down stairs and I moved this cable. Will go and measure now.... Got it.
    Overall length 890mm (Tip of inner to outside of button) Outer cable length. Button to the end of coiled wire (Outer)820MM.

Sidelights try, www.Serieo4.com or https://www.franzose.de

Cheers,

Dan

Fellow Frogger!

I greatly appreciate all your inputs guys, thanks.

It will be good to convert this park light into a permanent turn signal indicator since I also have the orange type, but than it will be an issue of originality. Sigh.

Dano,
    the outer choke cable jacket looks like it has been clipped, not sure why. I have a 403 piece which I will use temporarily until the right one comes.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi guys: No surprise things are a bit short and/or back the front. Age, corrosion and fifty years of heat exposure can do funny things (looked in a mirror lately?) The evidence of the necessity for a 'quick fix' is not unusual with our classic delights.
    Bit like aging actresses....... a clip here and a stretch there but still able to perform!
    Parking light definitely been rotated though as it is indeed white to the front.
    Cheers ............. and enjoy!

Thread Information