How to remove defective LCD MFD in a 407 MY2007.
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tristesse

Thread: How to remove defective LCD MFD in a 407 MY2007.

Default How to remove defective LCD MFD in a 407 MY2007.

I've seen the videos online and swapping in a new MFD looks so simple. I can do all the hard bits, but the easy bits have defeated me. I can't remove the connector plug from the back of the unit. It consists of a brown plastic ended lead, covered by a black overriding clip, inserting into the female brown plastic connection on the unit.

Advertisement

And, I also cannot remove the old display from its housing after removing the two T15 screws.

Very frustrating. I might have to eat humble pie and take the car to Regan's and ask them to do it.

Has anyone done this job? I'm amazed there's so little about it on aussiefrogs.

It just levers out top and bottom and the connection canterleavers over the little button on the top

Thanks very much for that. So do I rotate the pin towards the lead? Is that black clip integral to what's removed, or does it come off or does it need a squeeze....? The female chamber on the unit looks like it could only come out being lifted straight up.

With the display can I just lever it out of the housing by hand or do I need to prise it out with a flat bladed screwdriver?

I have this idea of some sour engineer at PSA, hearing that down under and out east there are fools like me thinking they can do this from a youtube video so he installs another little clip somewhere, hidden, just to frustrate us.

My wife is already cross about this ill-considered project.

Fellow Frogger!

I have done it. Very simple. The plug is a Bosch style plug. So you have to unhook the small plastic lever from top and drop it down, the plug will then pop out. There may be a small tab at the top holding the lever, that will need to be pressed first. Just lever the lcd out of the holder.

Thanks. I will have another go at it. Love aussiefrogs.

Success, with your encouragement.

Broad daylight helped.

I'll run through what I did for any future visitors. I prefer text to video sometimes, especially when the videos look too easy. I suspect they are working on one they prepared earlier, sensible though that is.

Tools: Torx 10 and Torx 15 tools.

With the Torx 10 loosen the screws at either side of the CD player. Pull that out so it is held in place still by the back end of it.

With the Torx 15 unscrew the bottom screws either side of the display cover. I've lost one somehow. Maybe spread a sheet so as to retain any falling screw. The display in its housing lifts down slightly and then off, tethered by the connection.

The Bosch plug has a black overriding clip. Press down on the brown ribbed part of the plug adjacent and above the clip, and the clip will rotate down over the convex upper edge of the plug, allowing it to be removed.

The display and its housing is now free. In your lap remove the two Torx 15 screws retaining the display itself. The display is then loose in its housing and needs to be winkled free, where three loose fitting retaining protrusions fit in apertures in the housing. Getting one free and then the next it soon comes out.

Put the new display in, screw it down, put in the connection lead and clip it secure with the rotating clip. Guide the assembly back into place, sliding the upper clips just beneath the larger fascia. Screw the two Torx 15 screws back in. Then slide in the CD player and tighten the two T10 screws.

I'm very grateful to you two for getting me to the completion of this.

Best wishes
    Last edited by Tristesse; 10th February 2018 at 01:22 PM.

If you don't mind me asking, from where did you source your replacement display?
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

AA Autoparts in Melbourne. aa.cars2012 on eBay. I had an email exchange with them a couple of years ago. If you get them to install they will connect it to the parking sensors. I don't know that ours isn't. Haven't tested it other than to explore the options parked outside. Set the time and date and looked at the trip computer etc. All working. Installation by them is $50. I forget where, but out east I think.

I paid $AUD 200. Could have had a yellow one from them cheaper, and a lot of the Chinese ones online are cheaper. Other sources are UK, China, Croatia. I can't find the exact link now to the one I bought. It is orange like the original, except set to orange on dark instead of dark text on orange, and in fact it looks exactly like the one in my C5 which works no matter how hot it gets. Maybe there is a menu to alternate those two options.
    SLC206 likes this.

Thread Information