Were there Peugeot branded folding bikes in 504s ?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By adbell
  • 1 Post By BIGRR
  • 1 Post By Simon

Thread: Were there Peugeot branded folding bikes in 504s ?

Tadpole

Default Were there Peugeot branded folding bikes in 504s ?

I love bikes - it is another hobby I have - specifically BMX - if you have one of these pictured below - "I call Dibs...." (bmx slang for I will pay good $)
    As I am interested in a 504 ute and have been researching - I found this gem from the net:

"A chap at Renault cars approached French Peugeot to sell Peugeot cycles in Australia. That was in the early 1970’s beginning out of Melbourne. The sales grew and the business was called Cycles Australia which, down the track, Mick ended up managing as the sales and manufacturing in Qld had grown by that time, other factors shifting the focus from Melbourne. Cycles Australia also made the Madison bikes and Goanna mtb’s very early in mtb history (mid ‘70s!) If you bought a 504 car you would find a Peugeot fold up in the back so they sold a lot of the fold ups too.
    Something I didn’t know was that all the ‘early’ French made Peugeots were completely assembled in Australia from all the French parts. Importing complete bikes attracted an even more hefty tariff. I bought my UO-8 new from Annand&Thompson ,a car dealer in Brisbane, in 1975 for $196. This was a lot more than a Repco or Malvern Star ….which were about $120 from memory…but Euro prestige has always been worth something I ‘spose. Plus the mudguards still aren’t rusty."

Has anyone got one as original - were they only in wagons or sedans? Or snippet is BS?

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Were there Peugeot branded folding bikes in 504s ?-1982cpx-500peugeot.jpg   Were there Peugeot branded folding bikes in 504s ?-1979-cpx-100peugeot.jpg  

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I think there is an old poogoe folding bike in my fathers shed. we must have had it sitting around for at least 30years. They are HEAVY, not like modern folding bikes
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I've never heard of this before. Anyone else?

IWS

Same story shows up here, in 2011. Still just a story though ... Has the feel of an urban legend to me. But who knows, it might have been a clever marketing ploy?

Ian.

The grey matter is clouded these days, but somewhere way back in the darkness, I'm sure I saw one similar to the one in the photo on the right.

At the time, I thought someone had just put a Peugeot bike pad on the bar....It could have even been at Maxim motors, when I was there for a short time... It was the early 80's

There was also a couple in the QLD Pug Club who had a pair of folding Peugeot bikes.

Dano
    Last edited by Dano; 9th February 2018 at 10:59 AM. Reason: after thought...

I'm pretty sure I can remember Peugeot folding being around as well but not that they were included when you bought a 504.

No idea if they were supplied in 504s, but renweave is possibly an "authority" on Peugeot folding bikes here.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Tadpole

I owned a Peugeot "Defi" road bike in the mid 80's in QLD, great semi-racer, and a folding Raleigh even earlier, mid 70's.
    Folding bike as backup sounds good.

Sent from my SM-G930F using aussiefrogs mobile app

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

the one in the shed here is the same as this one...

It would still have its very rotten original tyres on it. I remember swiping the lights off of it when I was a kids too (and putting onto my bike). They are heavy, and the wheels are surprisingly large (so it's quite ok to ride unlike most folding bikes). It doesn't feel at all flimsy, and the wheels roll over rough surfaces well due to there size.

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Growing up in small country town in the 70s, I remember another Year 4 boy rode to school on one. I think his Mum won it in a raffle. From memory, it looked very like this one:
    https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/pe...for-300.43219/
    At the time, dragsters and later BMX's were the only bikes with street cred. I recall he was teased by others in that very Australian non-PC 1970s way for riding a girls bike. Being a french bike probably didn't help the poor kid.
    Dano likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post

It would still have its very rotten original tyres on it. I remember swiping the lights off of it when I was a kids too (and putting onto my bike). They are heavy, and the wheels are surprisingly large (so it's quite ok to ride unlike most folding bikes). It doesn't feel at all flimsy, and the wheels roll over rough surfaces well due to there size.
    seeya
    Shane L.
    That photo has just brought back memories of my mum having a Peugeot folding bike just like this in the mid 70's. I remember being fascinated with the lights when I was 5 or 6... In my memory, however, it was an ugly mustard colour??

Tadpole

Classic, sounds like it may have been a limited promotion and the author of the forum snippet thought it was for all sales, describing as such.

+ although Peugeot BMX is not generally accepted as groundbreaking or innovative, the bikes had good welds and were sturdy. See:
    Peugeot - BMXmuseum.com

+ my trip meter is stuck on the Si - it's trying to spin but only produces a frustrated slight clicking noise- my passenger door came good with Inox - can I spray this one away too?

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post

seeya
    Shane L.
    I bought my daughter a white folding Peugeot bike (Same as this one) early 1970s. I asked her what happened to it today (She is 50!) it is still in her garage.

There certainly was no free Pug bike in the boot of my Ti when I purchased new in March 1974.
    Dano likes this.
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Quote Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
    I found this gem from the net:

"A chap at Renault cars approached French Peugeot to sell Peugeot cycles in Australia. That was in the early 1970’s beginning out of Melbourne. The sales grew and the business was called Cycles Australia which, down the track, Mick ended up managing as the sales and manufacturing in Qld had grown by that time, other factors shifting the focus from Melbourne. Cycles Australia also made the Madison bikes and Goanna mtb’s very early in mtb history (mid ‘70s!) If you bought a 504 car you would find a Peugeot fold up in the back so they sold a lot of the fold ups too

Or snippet is BS?
    The snippet is not BS. "The chap" was professional cyclist Bob Panter, who contacted Renault Australia in 1973 with the idea for them to assemble the Peugeot range of bikes in Australia. Renault Australia set up the Cycles Peugeot division to assemble Peugeot bikes, and installed Bob to develop it, which he did with good success. Bob left Cycles Peugeot in 1975 to pursue other interests on the Gold Coast with his own bicycle business. Renault Australia continued assembling bikes until they closed, when the business was sold off.

As for giving away a bike with a car, probably not as unlikely as it sounds, as many Renault Peugeot car dealers also dealt with the bikes. I'm guessing not all would have done it, and perhaps it may have been used to sweeten deals.
    Dano likes this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Tadpole

From my evil drunk skull ,I recall Melbourne bicycle centre (Clifton hill ) was a seller of the fine pug bikes back then.

Sent from my 3geesus using Tapatalk( it's ifail)
    Probably should put something clever here..
    oh well

Thread Information