205gti fan over ride switch
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205gti fan over ride switch

Hi, my 87 gti came with a thermo fan over ride switch patched into one of the fan relays, and only runs one fan. Would it be better/possible to patch it into the radiator thermo switch instead and run two?
    Also are these radiator thermo switches available new?
    Cheers, James.

Advertisement

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Quote Originally Posted by jech View Post
    Hi, my 87 gti came with a thermo fan over ride switch patched into one of the fan relays, and only runs one fan. Would it be better/possible to patch it into the radiator thermo switch instead and run two?
    Also are these radiator thermo switches available new?
    The best way to set up the fans is arguably as per factory. There are people running aftermarket ECU's on modified 205's that can run the thermofans and they choose to use the factory fan electrics instead. It is simple & reliable.

The three main things to test are that the thermatic switch, the 3 three applicable relays, (2 green, 1 purple???), and the fans themselves. If they are working correctly, trace the override switch join, cut it out and rejoin the factory wiring.

I'm not familiar with the 87 thermatic fan switch but sparesbox is listing it as Tridon TFS171
    https://www.sparesbox.com.au/tridon-fan-switch-tfs171

I know the later ones run the 3 pole switch Tridon TFS207
    https://www.sparesbox.com.au/tridon-fan-switch-tfs207

1000+ Posts

James,, as far as I know your 87 will be the same as mine, there is a switch in the radiator that has two set points to 1, low speed, both in series and then 2. high speed both in parallel. Most Peugeots of this time and for a long time later, up until the 306 (not sure on 307) used them. Its a simple reliable system that can take an override if required, just get in contact and we can show you what to do!

The 306 circuits I have are exactly the same, inputs are different but relays and wiring the same. Not hard, get your head around it and its just like the logic subjects you do at uni either philosophy or engineering!

Yes the radiator switch is available, temperature settings vary on the switch points so be careful to get the correct one, it has three tags so do not get the single switch one either. The sparesbox one with 3 poles is most likely not the same connector so this will do it, same thermostat but different connector

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-C...QAAOSw8b1aDSVF
    Last edited by Matthew; 21st January 2018 at 11:24 AM.
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway

Just bridge the wires problem solved

1990 Renault 5 GT turbo
    ####current rides####
    1994 205 gti 1.9 sorento green
    1988 205 gti 1.9 uk import grey
    2001 clio 172 sport ph1 #44/85
    1998 306 gti6. Blaze yellow
    1992 Honda Fireblade
    2013 Yamaha fzs sho Jetski
    1998 Supra RZ twin turbo white
    1999 Wrx classic gc8 sonic blue

Thanks all, also for the replies & wiring diagram in the previous thread. Iím currently working on replacing or repairing 30 or so damaged wires from what looks like a very old short circuit, previous people who worked on the car appear to have just wrapped it all up together & hoped for the best...! Iíll get that thermo switch ordered and try to get it running as intended, presuming Iíve correctly worked out the correct paths for all the bodges Iíve removed. Iím very good at soldering now!

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Thread Information