Peugeot 505 Heater Valve 646158 - Help to find a new one
  • Register
  • Help

Default Peugeot 505 Heater Valve 646158 - Help to find a new one

Hi,

I have been trying to find one of these valves because the apparently fit straight onto a Citroen SM. They appear to be running or have run out of stock. I have tried the following:

Advertisement

PeugeotSpares at Everton Park - Lewin is looking for a good second hand one
    EAI Melbourne - On the system but out of stock now
    Peugeotplus Melbourne - Cannot contact by email or phone
    Peugeot Parts in UK - Sold the last one he had last week

So if you can suggest any other places to try or know where one is, I would be grateful.

Cheers,

Ken Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    Hi,

I have been trying to find one of these valves because the apparently fit straight onto a Citroen SM. They appear to be running or have run out of stock. I have tried the following:

PeugeotSpares at Everton Park - Lewin is looking for a good second hand one
    EAI Melbourne - On the system but out of stock now
    Peugeotplus Melbourne - Cannot contact by email or phone
    Peugeot Parts in UK - Sold the last one he had last week

So if you can suggest any other places to try or know where one is, I would be grateful.

Cheers,

Ken Wilson
    Might be worth a call, they certainly show it as listed

(03) 9583 3766

Europarts Peugeot Parts

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Hi Chris,

That is the crew I referred to as PeugeotPlus. Their inbox is so full it is rejecting emails and the phone answers to a recorded message saying if you want to book your Peugeot in for a service, leave your number and they will call you back. I left a message and there was no return phone call.

Are there any Peugeotphiles that can help?

Cheers, Ken

Fellow Frogger!

Ted sold Europarts a couple of years ago. The guy who bought it doesn't seem interested in the parts business

Have you tried Ian Robbo, he was disembowelling a couple of 505's recently

Or

Ken Bailey. Creative intentions ( formerly of Caravelle) [email protected]

Best Wishes

Andrew

Fellow Frogger!

robinet de chauffage

very expensive though, more than the heater itself.
    Speaking of it, why does it have the thermal probe if it's controlled by a cable from the facia?

Try another one of our forum members who wrecks Pugs. He is in South Australia but mails stuff. View Profile: 505v6 - aussiefrogs - The Australian French Car Forum Since 1999

I just Pmed you his mobile number.

Quote Originally Posted by 2pac View Post
    robinet de chauffage

very expensive though, more than the heater itself.
    Speaking of it, why does it have the thermal probe if it's controlled by a cable from the facia?
    Hi 2pac,

I am talking to Ian Robbo at the moment thanks but I will try Gary if Ian cannot find a valve in good condition.

The idea of the thermal probe is that when you open up the valve a bit, hot coolant starts to circulate through the heater matrix and heats the air passing through, this hotter are then heats the thermal element and starts to close the valve down to limit how hot the matrix will get. So it is a crude temperature control system. I am not sure how well it works yet.

Cheers, Ken

Here is a picture of the valve I am looking for. I think it is from a series 1 505.

Cheers,

Ken
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Peugeot 505 Heater Valve 646158 - Help to find a new one-heater-tap-peugeot-646158-small.jpg  

Second try at answer first one not successful
    The device is a restrictor designed to limit thermal shock,slows up cold coolant rushing into brass matrix,used on many cars,but not as complex as the frogs.
    Easy one to find is VS V6 Holden its a solid brass brass rod about 60mm long 16mm dia.with a restrictor hole about 6-8mm bored in it to slow up cold water into matrix,its in the heater hoses below brake booster.

Are you sure you are looking for a 505 heater valve? As the SM was out of production a few years before the 505 commenced production. It wouldn't be unknown, but would be strange to use an out of production valve on a new model a few years down the track. Attached is a pic of a, SM contemporary, 504 heater valve for reference with your car (these also get adapted to Renault 15/17).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Peugeot 505 Heater Valve 646158 - Help to find a new one-dsc00676.jpg  
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Simon,

Below is a picture of the original heater valve on the SM. It is a bit hidden by the coolant return line coming out of the matrix but it does bolt onto the matrix behind the valve and the same level and the return pipe comes out.

The 64158 peugeot valve comes out of the 1984 Series 1 505 and is dimentionally similar to the SM valve. There was a similar valve fitted to the DS citroen range but they were of overall smaller size.

I have ordered a new 64158 valve from Italy through ebay so I hope it seals well when it finally arrives in February sometime.

Thanks for everyones help.

Cheers, Ken
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Peugeot 505 Heater Valve 646158 - Help to find a new one-sm-heater-valve.jpg   Peugeot 505 Heater Valve 646158 - Help to find a new one-heater-tap-peugeot-646158-medium.jpg  
    Last edited by Ken W; 24th January 2018 at 07:25 PM.

My son inlaw says a 12volt washing machine valve does the same job and cheaper I replaced mine with a mechanical cable operated holden one for $29.00

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post

I have ordered a new 64158 valve from Italy through ebay so I hope it seals well when it finally arrives in February sometime.

Thanks for everyones help.

Cheers, Ken

Ken, did the Peugeot valve fit? I’m having heater valve stuck closed issues on my SM....

john
    Nothing to see here...

Hi John,

It can be made to fit but there are some issues. Although the coolant holes are the same, the bolt holes are too wide and need to be modified to fit onto the heater matrix. But the more important issue is that the valve lever action is reversed and does not work with the SM cable control. John Titus has offered to repair my leaking valve - he maybe able to help with your valve as well.

Cheers, Ken

Fellow Frogger!

Hi
    I've just read your thread and can help with a brand new P504 or P505 heater valves. E-Mail me if you still need one, these are N.O.S. ITEMS. cHEERS c

Thread Information