405 mi16 engine harness wire identification and cooling fans staying on when ign on
  • Register
  • Help

Default 405 mi16 engine harness wire identification and cooling fans staying on when ign on

Hello,

Advertisement

I'm having quite a time figuring out the engine harness on my 89 mi16
    Long story short I bought it a few years ago from a chap who had a harness malfunction where it rubbed through and melted down. He replaced it but never got it running right.

I played with it a bit when I first got it but it then went on the back burner.

Fast forward a few years and I've finally figured out he had connected most of the plugs to the wrong locations! No wonder it didn't behave as it should.

I got another harness in a bit better shape and have mostly figured out where everything goes. My current problems are as follows:

The reverse switch plug on the new harness is different so I'll just swap a connector over no problem there.

There is one remaining 2 pin plug which i think goes to the sensor on the side of the thermostat housing. It is wires 4 and 5.
    Is this the sensor to tell the thermo fans when to operate, and in turn would it be related to my thermo fans coming on and staying on whenever the ignition is on?

I have several different wiring diagrams but they are mostly garbage and reading them is way harder than it needs to be. Anyway i still managed to sort out most of it but just that one plug I mentiond with wires 4 and 5, I can't find any wires with those numbers on any wiring diagram I have.

Here is the rest of the wires/ plugs Ive figured out just for anyone's future reference, hopefully someone can tell me if they are correct or not.

Part. Wire numbers

Purge solonoid - 84 20A (might be 20R)
    Coolant temp sensor ECU - 158 13
    Coolant temp gauge - 47
    Idle solenoid - 91 33
    Oil pressure sender - 30
    Oil temp - 30c
    Oil level - 224 225
    Reverse switch - 52 53
    Crank sensor - 23 25 B23
    Throttle position sensor - 150 3 2R

Lastly, suspected fan sensor? - 4 5

Thanks for looking
    Ben

If the thermofan sensor is unplugged or faulty, the fans run. I'm not sure what type of sensor is on the XU9 but on the later ones its a brown Bosch 2 wire sensor, Green for ECU & Blue for Dash. People like Peter T, Adrian W, Graham Wallace should be able to confirm.

And cheers for the pin out.
    Last edited by Bluey; 14th January 2018 at 11:10 AM.

Thanks for the reply,

Ive managed to find a heating and ventilation document posted by Peter T in another thread that gives all the resistance values for the fan sensor so I'll check that out when I have a chance.

Ben

Thread Information