Air con not working. Clutch coil?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By UNM

Thread: Air con not working. Clutch coil?

UNM
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Air con not working. Clutch coil?

Daughters 307 1.6l 2002 model had a problem with overheating a while back, turned out to be the water pump.
    Since then the air con has not been working. Today I got a chance to look at it and I see that I am getting 14.1V to the air con compressor.
    The clutch does not engage and the coil is open circuit so assume it burnt out.

Is this easy enough to change with the compressor in the car?

Advertisement

If easy to remove, I can grab one from the wreckers. Will I need circlip pliers?

The final thing you could do is to check the earth point of the clutch coil.

Usually it is obvious, under one of the clutch fixing screws. It it's broken normally the wire parts company with the lug or simply breaks off.

Although, I'm "clutching" at straws and I think you will end up with a new clutch/ clutch coil.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

UNM
    Fellow Frogger!

No grounding wires. I didn't really expect one as it is a two wire connector to the coil, which suggests a sealed unit.

I did remove the nut holding the front plate on and nothing in there except the retaining circlip.

Probably off to the wrecker tomorrow to look for a coil (if they are a reasonable price).
    Only $45 for a new one on ebay, so that is an option, but I do like to practice parts removal on a scrap vehicle to minimise the chance of a cockup on our car.
    hypermiler likes this.

Thread Information