404 Driver seat
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dano

Thread: 404 Driver seat

Fellow Frogger!

Default 404 Driver seat

Driver seat on the 404 has given up the unequal struggle with my arse and is now sagging

Does anybody have a 404 driver seat with good mechanism ( squab adjustment ) and tolerable springing? Coverings immaterial, as I have good leather on my existing one and can swap

Car is daily driver so am hoping to get base/frame that I can get resprung /repadded and then do quick change with existing upholstery.

Advertisement

I am in Melbourne. Happy to travel to pick up. Happy to either swap bits (404 or 4CV ) or pay, depending upon your needs.

Best Wishes

Andrew

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Andrew In my 404 sedan I re-sprung the drivers seat using springs from a passenger seat ,which gets a lot less use than the drivers side and easier to find in good condition.
    Marty

Andrew,

Most body trimmers will have and sell you the spring material and clips.

You will need,

Six lengths at 600mm each. 3.6M in total. You could buy a roll from someone like Daley's but that is overkill; unless you plan on re-springing both seats. You will still have heaps left over.

VICTORIA
    Unit 1, 6 Leo Street
    FAWKNER VIC 3060
    Tel: 03 9355 4800
    Fax: 03 9355 4850
    Email: [email protected]

22mm Hog clips (sold by strips or boxes of 1000)

Hog clip pliers. Real ones make it so easy. Don't try to use fencing hog clip pliers, they are a waste of time.

Set of side cutters to remove existing clips. To protect your leather, cut the clips in half and prise out the pieces with pointed nose pliers. Pulling them out just rips holes in the fabric.

2mm wire to make new clips/spacers between the springs. This is optional depending on the condition of the existing one.

It is not a hard task.

PM me your phone number, if you would like talk the process through.

Cheers,

Dano
    svengali0 likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Dear Dan and Marty

Many thanks, very useful information. Shall investigate

Have not gone deeply into upholstery before, so am bit apprehensive, but do have one dead body ( seat with dud squab mechanism ) on which to practice, so will go into it a bit further. Seat has to come out anyway for attention to mounts.

Best Wishes

Andrew

Thread Information