403 value?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GRAHAM WALLIS

Thread: 403 value?

VIP Sponsor

Default 403 value?

I really need to cut back on cars so would like to sell my 403, trouble is that it seems to have no value, this is an excellent car, plenty of work done on it but I have had only one low offer. Would be worth $15000 if it was a Holden. It is the car that featured in Death in Brunswick, should I advertise it as a film car on Ebay?

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Unfortunately 403 are quite underrated, they dont have the racier 203 lines , but are more practical and quieter .

put a good price on it Graham, include provenance in description expect to wait a bit. good luck

VIP Sponsor

When I think of the good bits I've fitted to this I may just keep it, everyone wants my worst car, blue S3 205 GTi, just sell that instead I guess. My standard 309 GTi road car is far better but nobody would want that. Also, it seems that people have only $1000 to spend.

Yes the 403 is a better car all round than the 203. My redex rerun 203 goes harder with the 403 donk but the 403 to me feels more comfy and is a lot roomier.I am going to do up my 1960 403 sedan as this was the model that won its class at Phillip Island pre Bathurst. I'm driving the 403 wagon and ute regularly on club plates. I have 2, 504s for sale as I also need to scale down my collection and have 2, 505s to drive. Prices of 504s are too low when compared to old Holdens or Fords. No comparison really as far as ride, handling and cruising ability. Best wishes for new year mate.

Sent from my SM-T550 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Tadpole

It is indeed a shame the 403 is not more highly sought for all of the reasons already noted.

The Gosford car museum had one in good but not concourse condition for $10k. Last week I was down there and it had been moved outside with the for sale sign removed, not sure if this meant it had been sold.

I did post previously that I now have the Ken Brigdan 403 race car, based on the car he drove to 4th outright at The Touring car Championship held at Longford. I also have all of the bits to support the car including additional lower rear springs, numerous hot cams of varying grinds, cylinder heads set up for Webber carbs etc, a number of engines in parts etc.

I am currently rebuilding the brakes, having been over the rest of the car to recommission it. Have been thinking what it could be worth given the cost of other historic race cars.

Happy to provide any build details and also share the additional parts for anyone putting together a hot 403, or maybe even sell it if worth my while.

I live in the hunter valley Nsw.

Cheers

VIP Sponsor

I now have an offer for the 309 GTi, so that will probably go. I think I'll keep the 403, I drove it again today and it really is a great thing to drive, the good things like quick rack, DeCarbon rear shocks, 14 inch Michelin tyres etc. aren't what people are looking for, would go to waste if the car was sold.

VIP Sponsor

How much do you think it's worth?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSal View Post
    It is indeed a shame the 403 is not more highly sought for all of the reasons already noted.

The Gosford car museum had one in good but not concourse condition for $10k. Last week I was down there and it had been moved outside with the for sale sign removed, not sure if this meant it had been sold.

I did post previously that I now have the Ken Brigdan 403 race car, based on the car he drove to 4th outright at The Touring car Championship held at Longford. I also have all of the bits to support the car including additional lower rear springs, numerous hot cams of varying grinds, cylinder heads set up for Webber carbs etc, a number of engines in parts etc.

I am currently rebuilding the brakes, having been over the rest of the car to recommission it. Have been thinking what it could be worth given the cost of other historic race cars.

Happy to provide any build details and also share the additional parts for anyone putting together a hot 403, or maybe even sell it if worth my while.

Cheers

Tadpole

Very hard to say.

Car itself is in very good condition, just has race car stone chipping at the front, great interior and all round condition is good.

Typical race cars of that era are northwards of $35k. I guess if I could take it out and repeat Ken’s heroics that would add to the value, but I fear I will not be that quick! My motor sport has always with disc brakes under me 😂

I would think about half the going price for a base car would be the only way to shift it.

VIP Sponsor

I saw the car at the 1988 AGP and it was in excellent condition then. Even though I'm trying to downsize I could be interested. You can get drums to work but you need to be able to find the right linings, Black Flash and Velvet Touch (sintered) are two names that have worked for me in the past, but compounds vary and you have to get the right one.

Tadpole

It has good linings, and I have several sets of spares, including a set of fronts labelled “don’t stop” . I was thinking I would use these in the car I am restoring as it will only ever be a road car, and given its providence will not be driven long distances too often.

VIP Sponsor

Just go to a brake service for the road car, cheap as chips to get shoes relined. The drums actually stop very well, it is the vibration (due to radial tyres) that is the problem with leading shoe drums.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSal View Post

Cheers
    The Gosford 403 was advertised for $10,000 for some time and then on to EBay with a reserve of $7000
    I put in an opening bid of $5000
    Didn't hear anything after that

Sent from my MYA-L22 using aussiefrogs mobile app

VIP Sponsor

Mine has some minor bodywork flaws but is very sound and would be far better mechanically than the Gosford one.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Graham. It seems that you don't really have the heart to sell the 403 and I'm sure we understand that ,but should you do so what year is it for those who don't know?

(Or forget......like me.)

VIP Sponsor

1961 403b, Satin Grey, the best colour.
    Last edited by GRAHAM WALLIS; 7th January 2018 at 10:10 PM.

I think we should have a showdown on the racetrack between Graham and Steve

Come on, ya pair of wimps ! Let's see what these cars are made of !

VIP Sponsor

309 deal is sealed, so pressure is off.
    Justin is coming to look at the 403, so see what happens I guess. I have the 203 and a 404 so should sell but as you say I've put a bit into it which I would then lose.

VIP Sponsor

Steve would win on the track, mine is standard, might be a different story along an outback track.

Quote Originally Posted by Beano View Post
    I think we should have a showdown on the racetrack between Graham and Steve

Come on, ya pair of wimps ! Let's see what these cars are made of !

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    I really need to cut back on cars so would like to sell my 403, trouble is that it seems to have no value, this is an excellent car, plenty of work done on it but I have had only one low offer. Would be worth $15000 if it was a Holden. It is the car that featured in Death in Brunswick, should I advertise it as a film car on Ebay?
    Hi Graham, I don't know what you'd think of this idea but I reckon put it on Gumtree and the Facebook market place and you could reach a whole different market where you may be able to get $15,000 (after staring at, say $18,000). I would mention it was the car used in Death in Brunswick which will add some appeal and value to some potential buyers. I could private message to you some of the FB marketplace groups to look at if you may be interested to explore that possibility. Facebook marketplace has only been around for about a year but to my observation it seems to be starting to overtake Gumtree as a way of selling online.

Kaye
    Last edited by okalford; 8th January 2018 at 12:47 AM.
    '66 404 Wagon
    '78 504 Wagon
    '89 505 GTI S II Familiale

Hi,

SteveSal you mentioned lower rear springs for 403. Are they shortened originals? Does your car have double springs? How about the front suspension?
    Rgrds Pauli

VIP Sponsor

Yes, I think I will do this. Would be worth a try I think.
    fig
    Quote Originally Posted by okalford View Post
    Hi Graham, I don't know what you'd think of this idea but I reckon put it on Gumtree and the Facebook market place and you could reach a whole different market where you may be able to get $15,000 (after staring at, say $18,000). I would mention it was the car used in Death in Brunswick which will add some appeal and value to some potential buyers. I could private message to you some of the FB marketplace groups to look at if you may be interested to explore that possibility. Facebook marketplace has only been around for about a year but to my observation it seems to be starting to overtake Gumtree as a way of selling online.

Kaye
    okalford likes this.

Tadpole

Pauli

Coils are custom built not shortened originals. Originals are approx 430mm with 8 coils uncompressed while the shorter coils are 330mm with 6 coils. The spares are the same wire size of 13mm and I am confident were made by Lovell.

The coils on the car are 14mm wire thickness.

At the front the lowering appears to be by playing with the leaves to give a flatter bottom leaf.

I will have a closer look at the weekend my shed is uninhabitable at present due to temperature !! If there are any other changes I find that raises the effective height of the centre of the spring ( to lower the ride height) or anything else of note I will post it up.

Cheers

VIP Sponsor

The shocks must have been shortened, if the springs are made shorter they won't be held in on full droop, unless you use auxiliary low rate springs to fill the gap. The standard springs are on full extension when shocks are fully extended. Falcon shocks are shorter but you tend to get wheel lifting with them, I guess though that if the car is lowered than body roll will be less so may not be a problem

Tadpole

Quite correct Graham.

I was just responding to the specific question on the spare springs. There are also sway bars at both ends, I am sure I posted some pictures of the set up for general info a while back.

Thread Information