208 isn't getting up to temperature.
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 208 isn't getting up to temperature.

Hey guys, I have a 2012 Peugeot 208 allure sport (thp motor) and recently it started not getting to operating temperature on the freeway. It used to sit at 90-95 but now when going freeway speeds it stuggles to hit 70. From what I've seen this could be the thermostat but it seems in my car that's a big housing that cost ~300$. For a while before this when heating up it would go from 0-70 then back to 0 then work up normaly. I also noticed when this happened that my coolant level was slightly below min, so I added a bit if water. Is there a way to confirm if its the thermostat, or anything else either could be? What steps should I take next? Thanks.

Advertisement

I should probably add that this is only on the freeway and when I idle in a carpark for 2-3 minutes it will creep up to operating temperature.
    Last edited by Kamex; 30th December 2017 at 01:11 PM.

Check out post from UK
    Appears dependent upon outside temperature
    Operating Temperature - Peugeot 208 Forums

1000+ Posts

Some of those water outlets had a problem - incorrect temperature readings, error codes P0117 and or P0118. It was caused by a manufacturing fault and the solution is to replace the unit. This was often a warranty job.

Another observation (eg, etuners) is that the electrically controlled thermostat valve deteriorates in time. Reportedly after 70,000 km. Again a replacement unit. Etuners observes that this leads to low temperature readings when off-throttle.

Fellow Frogger

There may be a field service campaign re the temp sensor and sometimes the thermostat housing, so it may be worth asking a dealer to check if your car has any outstanding service campaigns or recalls against it even though it is out of warranty. Most of the time, you would only be notified of safety recalls, not running fix campaigns. There have been a few for some of the EP6 engine issues in a range of PSA cars.

I was told Audi reckon plastic housings like this thermostat unit are a service item after 3 years, but I don't know how true that is. Maybe, it's a new industry norm to be expected to replace parts like these. The plastic can certainly become brittle with age.

Closely related is this topic re the temp sensor. Although for RCZ, it is quite detailed and may be of use here too:
    Peugeot RCZ Forum ? Temperature Sensor Fault - DIY Repair! (Not a bodge!) : Drivetrain
    Last edited by David S; 31st December 2017 at 03:50 PM.

I'd be having the actual temp of the radiator measured with one of those remote infra red thermometers to see if the gauge is lying to you, which would likely just be a sensor. I know nothing about your car but this is the kind of thing that starts to happen once a car goes past warranty while still relatively new. Was pretty common in 406 I recall, though it tended to be the one that affected the idle controls in the ECU.
    The other test would be to plug in a different sensor if you could borrow one.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Some of those water outlets had a problem - incorrect temperature readings, error codes P0117 and or P0118. It was caused by a manufacturing fault and the solution is to replace the unit. This was often a warranty job.

Another observation (eg, etuners) is that the electrically controlled thermostat valve deteriorates in time. Reportedly after 70,000 km. Again a replacement unit. Etuners observes that this leads to low temperature readings when off-throttle.
    There are no ECU codes (at least with my cheap bluetooth scanner)

The observation from etuners seems more like it, my car has 85,000ks and the temps are worst on freeway. Its very possible its the sensor. I posted the thread when I had been driving night (15ish degrees) and the car was running 60-70 on the freeway 110, although since while its been 30ish degrees during the day and its been sitting 80-95 degrees which seems much more reasonable. I'll contact my local peugeot dealer to check recalls and fix campaigns.

Thanks for all the information, greatly appreciated.

Best site for recalls is UK
    Search Results 208

Tadpole

Hey guys, so after talking to a few people I'm pretty sure its the thermostat housing and the part number from peugeot I'm after is 9804315380 which the cheapest I can get is 270$ for the housing but its an updated housing that needs a new wiring harness which is another 80$. Or I've found this one for a mini cooper which looks the same https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Cooper...-/132076125821 and was wondering if this is the same/compatible with my Peugeot, considering it's 1/4 the price seems like a much better price. Thanks.

Edit; the part number given is for the updated wire assembly. The thermostat part number is 9808647080

The only major difference I can see between the old and new one is the sensor location hence needing a new wire assembly.

Definitely the thermostat housing.
    If yours had a single sensor, then you need the additional harness to connect the 2nd sensor of the new housing.
    Chadi

1982 504 SR white manual sedan with A/C (257 000 Km)
    2012 308 1.6 VTi Vapor Grey manual H/B (35000 Km)
    1994 405 1.6 white manual sedan (208 000 Km)
    1992 605 SV24 (91 000 Km)
    2005 406 2.0L automatic (Replaced with a 2013 C5)
    1983 505 GR white manual sedan with A/C (170000 Km)

All since new

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Doush_504 View Post
    Definitely the thermostat housing.
    If had a single sensor, then you need the additional harness to connect the 2nd sensor of the new housing.
    They both only have the one sensor, its just been moved in the new one. Apparently i can splice the old one if i realy wanted toi.

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by driven View Post
    Best site for recalls is UK
    Search Results 208
    For 'Recalls', where they must notify the relevant authority, yes.
    Locally, try http://productsafety.gov.au/

For 'Service campaigns', no, because they do not notify anyone outside the dealer network.

Kamex, check with a dealer to see if there is there is an outstanding service campaign re the temp sensor etc. before you spend any of your own money.

The smartest way to confirm the part number is to look it up against your VIN via Service Box, which is a freely accessible parts resource once you have registered.
    servicebox.peugeot.com

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    For 'Recalls', where they must notify the relevant authority, yes.
    Locally, try http://productsafety.gov.au/

For 'Service campaigns', no, because they do not notify anyone outside the dealer network.

Kamex, check with a dealer to see if there is there is an outstanding service campaign re the temp sensor etc. before you spend any of your own money.

The smartest way to confirm the part number is to look it up against your VIN via Service Box, which is a freely accessible parts resource once you have registered.
    servicebox.peugeot.com
    I'll check for the service campaigns monday. The servicebox is a pretty good resource,although it is a bit difficult being in french. Is it possible to get prices from here or does it just show parts with their part numbers? The BMW THP thermostat has a different part number but looks very similar. After talking to a Citroen/Peugeot dealer they told me that the Citroen with the THP motor had a bit of a problem with it cracking (19 fixed by them in a year) but mine doesn't seem to be cracked at all. That being said my car has been getting up to temperature recently, although I'm not sure if its due to the weather or it decided to fix itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamex View Post
    The servicebox is a pretty good resource,although it is a bit difficult being in french.
    Assuming you are using the online version, you just need to select English (various versions) in the bottom left corner of the log in screen.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Thread Information