306 steering ratio
  • Register
  • Help

Default 306 steering ratio

What do you guys think of the gti6's (and S16 if it has the same) steering rack ratio? I find it is quite slow and though it has excellent feel, it's not quite as direct as I would like. I noticed this earlier when I first got the car, but recently after a quick drive in a friend's civic vtiR (which didn't handle particularly well), I noticed the civic's steering was much faster. The amount of turn on the steering wheel produced a similar amount of turn on the front wheels. However, with the gti6 I find that it takes a lot of turn on the wheel to produce the same amount of turn on the front as the civic.

Anyone else noticed this? I guess this is the difference between a car that feels 'go-kartish' or not. Has anyone ever put in a quicker rack in their 306??

Advertisement
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

I think the S16 and GTI6's have quite a slow rack too. Considering their ordinary turning circle and quite heavy feel, there must be a reason.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    I think the S16 and GTI6's have quite a slow rack too. Considering their ordinary turning circle and quite heavy feel, there must be a reason.
    Ok I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. I'll quantify it on the weekend by seeing how many degrees the steering wheel has to turn for the wheels to turn 45 degrees. I'll see if I can check that against a few other cars.

I don't think the heavy feel has anything to do with the slow rack. I love the meaty feeling of the steering, and I'm pretty sure it has more to do with the castor angle and kingpin incl'n that the car is set up with. My previous car had an really really quick rack (pretty much completely direct steering) and it still had a nice heavy feel to the steering. That car needed a lot of concentration driving it at highway speeds though, was very tiring during long distances. I wouldn't want a rack as quick as that, but a nice medium would be better.

- 306 gti6

Tadpole

Even a 10% quickening of the rack in my S16 would make it much more responsive, the feel and weight of the steering is probably the best I've experienced in a power-assisted Fwd car.
    1995 306 S16....now has a new home.
    2003 Astra Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by SA S16
    Even a 10% quickening of the rack in my S16 would make it much more responsive, the feel and weight of the steering is probably the best I've experienced in a power-assisted Fwd car.
    Mike, I agree, I love the meaty feel of the steering. The steering feel is very good, but it's not the best I've ever experienced in a fwd car. I reckon the integra type R is better still. The rack ratio is perfect for cornering in that car, it feels like a go-kart so direct, but it is pretty disturbing to drive at speed on rutted, potholed single lane 'highways', you're forever correcting for the tramlining.

It's funny, I really only notice the slow rack driving around the streets etc, and don't notice it too much driving on winding roads, I don't know why this is, I doubt the rack ratio is speed variable.

- 306 gti6

306s have steering ratios erring on the slow side for modern power steering equipped cars. The ratio is about average (I'd say ~3.2 is about average for this size of car with PS), but the turning circle isn't particularly small.

I know the standard N3s were about 3.3 turns lock to lock, which is about average. However bear in mind the turning circle is 10.9m.

Want a fast steering ratio - Alfa 147 is your car!

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

after a quick drive in a friend's civic vtiR (which didn't handle particularly well),
    Yes I know I have one , - my excuse is that it is an interim car utill I can afford something better. Handling is not crap but not that good either - a bit too much engine for the suspension (and brakes too). Had a 1986 Celica SX once and I thought that was better....

Incidentally, apart from the average handling, I find the VTI-r's steering too light. When reversing down my (level) driveway to go out I have to constantly correct the wheel, otherwise I will end up in the garden bed.

Thread Information