Are the gearboxes for live axle and IRS 504's the same?
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Are the gearboxes for live axle and IRS 504's the same?

Are the gearboxes for live axle and IRS 504's the same? I don't have access to a live axle gearbox, but from photos it appears that (unlike in the IRS units) the tail has a u-joint. Is that an add-on to the standard IRS gearbox, or is it a different part?

Cheers,

Advertisement

Thanos

The u-joint is held on by a cap screw. You just have to disassenble the u-joint to access it. Once you do this, it fits right into the IRS shaft.

The indirect gear ratios are about 3-5 percent lower on these gearboxes, as they also are on other 1.8 litre 504s and 5 seat 2 litre station wagons.
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

The u-joint is held on by a cap screw. You just have to disassenble the u-joint to access it. Once you do this, it fits right into the IRS shaft.

The indirect gear ratios are about 3-5 percent lower on these gearboxes, as they also are on other 1.8 litre 504s and 5 seat 2 litre station wagons.
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Fellow Frogger!

it's not so simple i'm afraid, because the live axle cars had a different floorpan than the IRS, and sometimes had the shifter on the steering column. that's why those ba7/4 trannies had a variety of rear housings, although the main housing is always the same.
    the 504 saloons and estates alone have had 3-4 different rear housings during their life, not talking about the coupes and the pickups.
    Last edited by 2pac; 7th December 2017 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2pac View Post
    it's not so simple i'm afraid, because the live axle cars had a different floorpan than the IRS, and sometimes had the shifter on the steering column. that's why those ba7/4 trannies had a variety of rear housings, although the main housing is always the same.
    the 504 saloons and estates alone have had 3-4 different rear housings during their life, not talking about the coupes and the pickups.

It's no big deal to swap the rear housing on a 4 speed, which Thanos seems to be asking about, unless he's talking about a 504 pickup. I've swapped 4 speed rear housings a number of times between various different types of live axle, IRS, floor shift and column shift versions. You just have to hold the selector lever at the right angle to make sure you engage it with the selector rods.
    Last edited by davemcbean; 7th December 2017 at 12:52 PM.
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C

Fellow Frogger!

Thank you for the responses. The car is a RHD Africa-built 504 with live axle and a BA7/5. My interest is in just the internals of the gearbox, I want to swap them with those of an IRS car. From your answers, I am assuming that it is feasible, I will just have to attach the u-joint once the IRS internals are installed in the live axle casing.

Thread Information