405 srdt fan constantly running
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 405 srdt fan constantly running

Our trusty 405 wagon has recently decided that it would like to run its radiator fan flat out as soon as the ignition is switched on and keep it going constantly. At the same time (possibly coincidentally) the airbag fault warning lamp has come on.
    I have spent a frustrating afternoon going over all the electrical connections, the three thermostatic switches and three fan relays to find everything in perfect order, This leaves the bitron? unit on the air con and the thermostatic ECU behind the passenger side headlight as possible culprits.
    Does anyone out there have experience troubleshootings these units and/or fitting aftermarket thermostatic switches to bypass the factory fitted system. (we never use the aircon so the bitron thingy is not an issue)
    Cheers

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by galen View Post
    Our trusty 405 wagon has recently decided that it would like to run its radiator fan flat out as soon as the ignition is switched on and keep it going constantly. At the same time (possibly coincidentally) the airbag fault warning lamp has come on.
    I have spent a frustrating afternoon going over all the electrical connections, the three thermostatic switches and three fan relays to find everything in perfect order, This leaves the bitron? unit on the air con and the thermostatic ECU behind the passenger side headlight as possible culprits.
    Does anyone out there have experience troubleshootings these units and/or fitting aftermarket thermostatic switches to bypass the factory fitted system. (we never use the aircon so the bitron thingy is not an issue)
    Cheers
    Hi Galen,

The airbag fault hopefully is just a fuse. Has your temperature guage stopped working also? check position 2.

Where in Tassie are you? I'm down south and am running 2 SRDT wagons, so PM me and drop by if you want try swapping the bitron relay.

Cheers,
    Andrew

Driving - '90 XM, '85 CX IE Auto, 406 Coupe, 405 srdt wagon, '78 dyane, Resting (or Rusting): '71? Birotor '82 CX Presitige, '81 CX Break IE, GS X2, GS1015 Wagon, GS 1300 5sp Wagon, '76 GS 1220 Wagon, '75 GS Wagon, '58 2CV, '58 Vauxhall Velox

Thread Information