Peugeot 406 (2003) - Climate Control Issue
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Peugeot 406 (2003) - Climate Control Issue

Hi Everyone,

I've just purchased a lovely Peugeot 406 (2003) from my grandfather but there seems to be a problem with the Climate Control.

After about 10 minutes of running the car, the temperature jumps between hot air (very hot) to air temperature; or when the air-condtiitoner is running very cold air. I'm not adjusting the Climate Control temperature and leaving it set at around 22 degrees.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot the problem? I've had it in at an Auto Electricians for the past few weeks but they can't seem to diagnose the problem either. They have replaced the Temperature Probe in the heater but this hasnít solved the problem.

It's very odd! Iím secretly hoping this is a known issue or someone has come across this before.

Advertisement

Any help or suggestions would be really helpful and much appreciated. It's such an nice comfortable car to drive!

Best Regards,

Jason

Something comes to mind about the system running full cold when the air-con is switched on for the climate control, and the system mixing in hot air to control the temp. So there a mixer / flap control in the system.

Cheers

Justin
    '07 Megane R26
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '09 308 XSE Touring
    '10 308 Sportium Touring

Sounds like the mixer flaps fully open or fully closed. Is this on both driver and passenger side?

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

Tadpole

Yes, I think it is on both sides. I can certainly check that out though.

1000+ Posts

First, welcome to Aussie Frogs! Since you have purchased this car from your grandfather, we deduce that you are not as old as some of us, so it's great to hear of a younger person taking the plunge into french car ownership . I have a 406 SV, which is one of the quickest, safest and most comfortable cars we have owned!

As Justin says, it does sound like the mixing flap playing up, but it's hard to explain why it would wait 10 minutes!

There is a diagnostic tool available, which is specifically for Peugeots and Citroens, so it's unlikely that your auto sparky would have it.

It is a combination of a special USB cable and software, which connects to your car's ODB port and interacts with the cars computers. It allows the user to read stored faults, which can help with diagnosis, but also allows various components to be activated. I have used mine to diagnose a fault with my air-con - while it didn't pin-point the problem (which turned out to be wear in ignition switch connections - enough to stop normal activation of the A/C), it allowed me to eliminate a lot of possibilities.

The genuine software is used by PSA (Peugeot/Citroen) dealers, and is pretty expensive, but it is possible to get hold of copies (usually a bit out of date) quite cheaply. It comes under several names - Diagbox, Lexia, Proxia, Peugeot Planet, PP2000 - but must include both the hardware and software components.

Here is a sample link on eBay :
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexia-3-PP2...75.c100623.m-1

The downside is that it only runs on Windows, and it must be 32-bit Windows - most people use XP, but apparently Windows 7 is OK, so long as it's 32-bit. Even then there are tricks to installing it and getting it running, but there are already several threads on the subject on this forum.

I feel it will be a worth-while investment for you, as a car of this age will inevitably have occasional annoying faults such as your current problem, and this equipment will help. For example, my SV developed a central locking fault. PP2000/Lexia allowed me to activate individual locks, and displayed current status (door closed or open, locked or unlocked). This allowed me to deduce that a signal wire was not telling the computer when the driver's door locked. I then got an auto-electrician to replace the faulty wire - he was quite happy not to have to do the diagnosis - and that solved the problem!

Re. the eBay link - I am not recommending this particular seller, this is just to illustrate what I am talking about. You should of course do your own research and find a seller you feel you can trust.

Cheers

Alec

The classic fault on those air con boxes is a failure of the passenger side flap control because the drive motor shaft was too short and it sheared the mating hole in the flap.The effect is hot air on the passenger side, no matter what. The internet forums are full of suggestions on how to modify the motor to get more grip. I solved the problem on my identical box on the C5 by buying one of what are now rare longer shaft motors that Valeo once supplied to fix the design fault.
    Fitting it is not easy because access is very limited. I can give you the part number details if that would help.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

I also have climate control issues so I thought I'd come in on this thread. Hope you don't mind Wazarider.

I have no cold air since last week. I just had the aircon tech check it out and it is full of gas.
    The fan isn't coming on and it doesn't look as if the compressor is cutting in. If the fan were dodgy would this be the result?
    I spose I need to introduce power to the compressor to see if it is working .
    Anyone with clues on this? I've got it booked in for diagnosis next week but if I can work it out in the mean time I'd rather.

Could mine also be a problem with the flap? I don't have separate controls for each side though as mine is a 2000 model.

The problem comes from the heater pipes being on the passenger side and they are too close to the flap. The plastic was incorrectly specified and softens with the temperature over time.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

I believe there is 4 temp probes in total on late 406 systems.
    If you can get it on a code reader (preferably PP2000) it should tell you immediately if there is a temp probe issue.
    I have seen this (rapid hot/cold) happen with temp probe issues.

If your fans are not working it will be the resistor module. Had to replace the one in the C5 as the high temperature and wife leaving the a/c set to 16 burnt out the power pin. Possibly a common issue on Pugs as well?

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post
    I also have climate control issues so I thought I'd come in on this thread. Hope you don't mind Wazarider.

I have no cold air since last week. I just had the aircon tech check it out and it is full of gas.
    The fan isn't coming on and it doesn't look as if the compressor is cutting in. If the fan were dodgy would this be the result?
    I spose I need to introduce power to the compressor to see if it is working .
    Anyone with clues on this? I've got it booked in for diagnosis next week but if I can work it out in the mean time I'd rather.

Could mine also be a problem with the flap? I don't have separate controls for each side though as mine is a 2000 model.
    All the 406 air con wisdom you could need:
    Air con problems - 406
    406 HDi

1000+ Posts

Hi Luthier

If your cabin fan isn't working then that is where you need to start. Aircon will not cut in if cabin fan doesn't go. OTOH, cabin fan should work irrespective of the condition of the aircon - even if compressor is removed. Fan controller (fitted to top of fan motor) would be the first issue to check (after fuses, connection plugs, earths etc...).

Can't remember whether you have a PP2000/Lexia unit, but worth checking for fault codes.

Cheers

Alec

My cabin fan works fine.
    I've just done a series of tests though I haven't got a diag tool.
    I found this thread on the 406 UK site. BSI air con relay replacement. - 406oc.co.uk
    It describes how to fit a new aircon relay into the BSI unit. I took mine[BSI unit] out but found I really have no way to test whether the relay works or not. There is connectivity across the coil but my meter won't measure resistance[because I need a new meter].
    So I put it back. I discovered no problems with the external fan that goes on the condenser although previously it wasn't working.
    I think perhaps pulling the relays and refitting them got that going.
    I then disconnected the plug to the compressor and fed it with 12 volts independently from another battery so there'd be no problem with mixed signals to the ecu. The clutch clicked as hoped for/ expected and with the engine running the air is cold.
    So it is a control problem, not a hardware malfunction. I'm heavily suspecting that relay in the BSI now but still reluctant to rip it out.
    My question is how do I test that relay or is it even possible while it is installed on the circuit board?
    Would a diag be able to decide this for me? Are there diag tools on ebay that are safe or legal? Some of the ones I saw seemed to be incredibly dodgy, telling you not to run on the internet or update online or it would be destroyed, so obviously illegal.
    Others didn't mention that it has to run on a 32bit computer running XP. I actually have an old one though it's a big tower where a laptop would be the go but I'm a bit worried about buying the gear when it all seems so mysterious. Next thing yer know it'll wipe yer ECU or something right?

Thread Information