Peugeot 206 Horn and Reverse light both not working
  • Register
  • Help

Default Peugeot 206 Horn and Reverse light both not working

In a recently purchased 206, I have found that neither the horn nor the reverse light are working. I question whether or not it is for the same reason. I have checked all the fuses also globes in the reverse light and the horn and all work when tested ,but not in the car. Anyone had a similar experience ?

Advertisement

If purchase was recently, take back to Person who did Roadworthy as they are both items that need to work to pass the RWC
    If 206 has a horn relay, should hear a click when under the bonnet somewhere. Trace from there. Is the globe burnt out?

You could start simple.

Obtain an assistant and carry out some "light" technical percussion on the horn while an assistant holds the horn button in.

Remove the reverse light connector on the gearbox (should be on the front) and give it a clean out with some electrical cleaner.
    Regards,

Simon

2014 208 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Thanks Simon: I was able to do this and after cleaning and reconnecting it worked. Wasn't sure about getting the electrical connection apart, but with a long handled screw-driver and prising at the bottom from inside to outside, it came apart.
    The horn still has me stumped !

COL

Quote Originally Posted by driven View Post
    If purchase was recently, take back to Person who did Roadworthy as they are both items that need to work to pass the RWC
    If 206 has a horn relay, should hear a click when under the bonnet somewhere. Trace from there. Is the globe burnt out?
    Don't need a RWC to sell a car in Tasmania. All the colonies ooops states in this country have different laws
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

COL

Quote Originally Posted by PeterR View Post
    In a recently purchased 206, I have found that neither the horn nor the reverse light are working. I question whether or not it is for the same reason. I have checked all the fuses also globes in the reverse light and the horn and all work when tested ,but not in the car. Anyone had a similar experience ?
    It could be just bad connections in the various plugs and sockets in the wiring looms, having a multimeter will help diagnosis.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Actually, with a lapsed registration, like mine, I had to have an AIS Inspection, hence my efforts to correct this fault.

Update on Progress:- After checking all the obvious, a good friend who is more into French cars than me,took the steering wheel off, checking under the airbag for voltage, then removed the unit which includes the traffic indicator, washer lever, lights etc. and carefully disassembled it. Two springs were slightly lengthened and contacts which are for the horn cleaned. When all put back together, the horn still did not work. The conclusion is that the computer is faulty and they are expensive. So, I am running a separate circuit from the horn with the intention of attactching a horn button . But. do you think I can find a pathway from the engine compartment ? Still working on that.

And the horn itself?
    Regards,

Simon

2014 208 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

You are right ! But not the horn, rather the plug that attaches to it. After trying another unit whichh includes the "clock spring" (for the want of a better word). No go. So on a much closer examination, I found that one wire that should have been attached to the plug was broken. It was quite difficult to see and to work on, but the moral of the story is to check the voltage at the plug, even if the horn is working with a separate test, before being suspicious of the more complicated parts.

Thread Information