Is there 203 Peugeot Mechanic near Ipswich ?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By gilberthenry

Thread: Is there 203 Peugeot Mechanic near Ipswich ?

Fellow Frogger!

Default Is there 203 Peugeot Mechanic near Ipswich ?

Is there 203 Peugeot Mechanic near Ipswich

I know a couple that live just out of Ipswich off the Warwick road. They have been into Peugeots and Light 15’s since the 1960’s. When they lived in Brisbane some years ago there was the odd Peugeot mechanic but they say “they are all dying out”.
    They hope to get the ’53 or so 203 re-registered down the track but can only get 2nd gear or whatever. They say the linkages from the gear stick need sorting out or something.
    Some time back the gearstick actually came off in her hand and miraculously a passer by who knew something about Peugeot’s “popped” it back in. I think they have a hose clamp there somewhere.
    They would like to take the car to someone who can fix this and don’t mind paying a fair price.
    I have their phone number if anyone can help.

The pics below was a few years ago. The D Special is ours.

John.

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is there 203 Peugeot Mechanic near Ipswich ?-dspecial-peogeot203-aug11.jpg   Is there 203 Peugeot Mechanic near Ipswich ?-dspecial-peogeot203-aug11.jpg  

VIP Sponsor

Ship it to Melbourne and I'll sort it out.

1000+ Posts

Like this? There's a few ball joints to pop off. Is there 203 Peugeot Mechanic near Ipswich ?-p203.jpg

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    Ship it to Melbourne and I'll sort it out.
    Sounds exciting but maybe a bit far for them.
    If it was ours we would already have dragged it down when we moved not long ago from Brisbane to Victoria. There is a 203 man near Bendigo called Ken I think who would know a thing or two ???

Anyway you are the best reply yet !!!

John

Quote Originally Posted by gilberthenry View Post
    Is there 203 Peugeot Mechanic near Ipswich

I know a couple that live just out of Ipswich off the Warwick road. They have been into Peugeots and Light 15’s since the 1960’s. When they lived in Brisbane some years ago there was the odd Peugeot mechanic but they say “they are all dying out”.
    They hope to get the ’53 or so 203 re-registered down the track but can only get 2nd gear or whatever. They say the linkages from the gear stick need sorting out or something.
    Some time back the gearstick actually came off in her hand and miraculously a passer by who knew something about Peugeot’s “popped” it back in. I think they have a hose clamp there somewhere.
    They would like to take the car to someone who can fix this and don’t mind paying a fair price.
    I have their phone number if anyone can help.

The pics below was a few years ago. The D Special is ours.

John.
    have you tried Maurie est at West Car Sales in Bundaberg. 41527355. They have been Peugeot agents since the 50's.

graham

John,

I'll send you a PM.

Cheers,

Dano

Interesting - a 203 with French bumpers. If the problem is that the gear lever can't be moved down or up from the second/third plane I suspect that the bell crank lever (2435.05) is frozen onto its support. I had the same difficulty after the car had been sitting for many years. The solution is bringing the support up to red heat followed by a quick quench with water. This is best done with the steering column removed from the car in order to avoid incineration of the whole mess. Lubrication with grease should avoid recurrence. Linkage joints popping out usually result in a floppy gear lever and the inability to select a gear in a particular plane (first/reverse, second/third or overdrive). The cause is wear in the joint's sprung sleeve which holds it on the ball. As a specialty I turn up replacement sleeves with a six mm slot in the side. The alternative is to find unworn ones.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Commerciale View Post
    Interesting - a 203 with French bumpers. If the problem is that the gear lever can't be moved down or up from the second/third plane I suspect that the bell crank lever (2435.05) is frozen onto its support. I had the same difficulty after the car had been sitting for many years. The solution is bringing the support up to red heat followed by a quick quench with water. This is best done with the steering column removed from the car in order to avoid incineration of the whole mess. Lubrication with grease should avoid recurrence. Linkage joints popping out usually result in a floppy gear lever and the inability to select a gear in a particular plane (first/reverse, second/third or overdrive). The cause is wear in the joint's sprung sleeve which holds it on the ball. As a specialty I turn up replacement sleeves with a six mm slot in the side. The alternative is to find unworn ones.
    I'll take a copy of this and send it in a letter (snail mail). I don't think Peter has an oxy or gas and he's not all that mechanical but any info is handy.

Thankyou, John

Tadpole

Well worn 203's would get their linkages/gear change/electrical switches in a real mess. Knocked the value off them in the auctions. The worst thing was when the electricals around the wheel would catch fire.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Dano View Post
    John,

I'll send you a PM.

Cheers,

Dano
    Looks like we might be getting somewhere with some of your replies and messages. We'll see how it goes.

I'm about to get a French 1913 TH. Schneider up and running so it's all great fun.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is there 203 Peugeot Mechanic near Ipswich ?-sch-utc-w.jpg  
    Last edited by gilberthenry; 2nd December 2017 at 10:42 AM.
    DeeCee and Beano like this.

Tadpole

Hi. A friend of mine who owns an old 505 like mine recommended Stuart Battersby at Peugeot Tech. I just looked it up, he is in North Brisbane. Ph 3260 7500. good luck. gorgeous old car, love the pics! cheers, Michele

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Hi. A friend of mine who owns an old 505 like mine recommended Stuart Battersby at Peugeot Tech. I just looked it up, he is in North Brisbane. Ph 3260 7500. good luck. gorgeous old car, love the pics! cheers, Michele
    Thankyou, I will relay this info - - John

Hey Dano,
    I sent you a PM. Can you call me?
    Cheers,
    Dan

Thread Information