205's rattle from hell!
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205's rattle from hell!

This rattle is the hardest to diagnose i've ever had! It only appears when the car has warmed up, it only rattles under slight load, and it only rattles in a particular rev range (2.5k-3.5k).

I checked out the clearances for the exhaust, and it can't be that. I thought it could've been a destroyed cat, but i can't see how that could rattle when warmed up, and be that load sensitive.

Advertisement

I'm just about stumped enough to take it into a mechanic and make them toil over it... but i'm not quite rich enough to.

Oh, while i'm at it. My valvetrain seems quite noisy under load, but i can't remember if it has always been like that. It's also worse until the engine has warmed up. Doesn't seem to effect performance though...

Could it be something eminating from the interior?

Put a stethoscope onto the cambelt cover in case you've got a flapping cambelt; they can be rev & load sensitive. If so, get it replaced asap as it can be a recipe for a disaster particularly if the problem is being caused by a collapsed tensioner or pump.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

...or...if u dont have a stethoscope (an option not purchased by all 205 buyers).....use a solid screwdriver.....pin it against components u r checking making sure the handle end is towards the ear .....also...keep well away from fans and generally any moving part....its also advisable the car is stationary.....

cheers
    dino

And if u don't have a screwdriver you can always use the jack....

The problem is that it is load sensitive, so performing the check on a stationary car isn't easy. I've managed to make it rattle in neutral, but thats if i stomp the gas pedal to use the engine inertia to load it. Using the clutch to load the engine might make for a short clutch life.

Thread Information