Fuel leak into cabin! - 205
  • Register
  • Help

Default Fuel leak into cabin! - 205

I've noticed a couple of times recently, that when i get into my car there's a distinct petrol vapour smell. It only seems to appear after the car has been left warm, which makes me believe its the vent pipe.

Advertisement

I checked out the top of the fuel pump, but seeing as its petrol i can't tell if theres a leak there.

Is there a way to find a petrol leak? I thought it was rather peculiar that the leak is inside the car, seeing as all thats there is the top of the pump and two pipes which never get disturbed.

Mine does the same - looked around, couldn't find anything that appeared out of place. I just ignore it.

Can't speak for the 205 but I have heard that the BXs of that era had a breather somewhere near the fuel tank that had a plastic pipe that led to a charcoal filter box that used to rot or snap & cause this problem.
    Apparently on the BXs it's a matter of either disconnecting it or re routing, but I'd suggest having a good look around the fuel tank in the area of the filler pipe.
    As far as any way of detecting a petrol leak; only a lit match works apart from visual inspection.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

It's not neccesarily leaking in the car but the seals are quite porus hence the vapour smell.

I'd check the drivers side rear wheel.. stick your head in there and see what's happening with the fuel pipe, if it's leeking etc....

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by nchandler
    Mine does the same - looked around, couldn't find anything that appeared out of place. I just ignore it.
    So soes mine, on a hot day.
    Graham Wallis

Thread Information