Dead 306 fuel pump?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Leeroy69

Thread: Dead 306 fuel pump?

Default Dead 306 fuel pump?

Hello all.
    I have recently purchased a '98 N5 306, reckon it's an XT as it's a 1.8 16v with all the fruit including 10 stack cd player in the boot and rain sensing wipers, just no trim level badging! Anyhoo, I've fallen in love, it's that nice to drive, and the coupla months I've owned it have been pretty trouble free, until last week when I filled her up with petrol then noticed the growing puddle of 98 octane in front of the right rear wheel as I walked back from paying. A little bit of research using dr google told me it was possibly the little valve thingy on the side of the tank. A quick look under the car told me that yes, this was the problem, as the outlet had broken off. So, following what I saw on a thread from this forum, I bought myself a straight through fuel line connector yesterday, pulled the valve thingy off, and just connected the two lines together. Sweet, no more fuel smell! So all was well this morning on my 5km drive in to work, drive home the same. Then I had to go to the shops. As I pulled out of my driveway the car seemed to bog down, once she reached about 2500rpm she pulled fine. Then I noticed that regardless of what gear I was in she was bogging down if below that 2000-2500rpm. As I pushed the clutch in at the lights the idle dropped way down to 500ish, idle has always been roughly 1000rpm. Pulling away from the lights was nasty, car bogging down and almost bunny hopping away until road and engine speed picked up. So I made it to the shops, but when I tried to leave she just didn't want to know about it. Idling extremely roughly, and pumping the throttle just made her backfire and stall. While trying to diagnose the problem I noticed that I couldn't hear the fuel pump, which has always been quite noticable when the ignition is turned on and it primes. It's also always made a short little hum about 10 seconds after turning the engine off. On closer inspection I could still hear it, only very, very faintly. So I'm assuming that this is my problem, although the picking up at higher revs seems very strange to me. I'm hoping that some of you learned gentlemen (or ladies) might be able to help me here. Does my diagnosis sound correct? And is it possible that I caused the problem by bypassing that valve? Or is the timing just coincidence? Sorry if this query has turned into an essay, and thanks for any help.
    -Lee

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

Advertisement

Sounds strange. I also bypassed my little thingy in a similar way and have had no issues. I wonder if yours is struggling for air? Open the fuel cap and see if it comes good.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Hi Lee,

I've added some line breaks, which as you can see makes your post more easily readable.

I'm no expert on 306s , but I'm sure someone else will help you.

I have recently purchased a '98 N5 306, reckon it's an XT as it's a 1.8 16v with all the fruit including 10 stack cd player in the boot and rain sensing wipers, just no trim level badging!

Anyhoo, I've fallen in love, it's that nice to drive, and the coupla months I've owned it have been pretty trouble free, until last week when I filled her up with petrol then noticed the growing puddle of 98 octane in front of the right rear wheel

As I walked back from paying. A little bit of research using dr google told me it was possibly the little valve thingy on the side of the tank. A quick look under the car told me that yes, this was the problem, as the outlet had broken off.

So, following what I saw on a thread from this forum, I bought myself a straight through fuel line connector yesterday, pulled the valve thingy off, and just connected the two lines together. Sweet, no more fuel smell! So all was well this morning on my 5km drive in to work, drive home the same.

Then I had to go to the shops.

As I pulled out of my driveway the car seemed to bog down, once she reached about 2500rpm she pulled fine. Then I noticed that regardless of what gear I was in she was bogging down if below that 2000-2500rpm. As I pushed the clutch in at the lights the idle dropped way down to 500ish, idle has always been roughly 1000rpm.

Pulling away from the lights was nasty, car bogging down and almost bunny hopping away until road and engine speed picked up. So I made it to the shops, but when I tried to leave she just didn't want to know about it. Idling extremely roughly, and pumping the throttle just made her backfire and stall.

While trying to diagnose the problem I noticed that I couldn't hear the fuel pump, which has always been quite noticable when the ignition is turned on and it primes. It's also always made a short little hum about 10 seconds after turning the engine off. On closer inspection I could still hear it, only very, very faintly. So I'm assuming that this is my problem, although the picking up at higher revs seems very strange to me. I'm hoping that some of you learned gentlemen (or ladies) might be able to help me here.

Does my diagnosis sound correct?

And is it possible that I caused the problem by bypassing that valve?

Or is the timing just coincidence?

Sorry if this query has turned into an essay, and thanks for any help.

-Lee
    Last edited by robmac; 20th November 2017 at 09:32 PM.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

I was almost going to suggest you should be an English teacher Robmac. However, your spelling/grammatical error in line two prevented you from getting full marks.

"but I'm sure some else will help you."

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thanks Peter,

I did not intend to give an English lesson.

My intention was to aid a fellow frogger in rendering his post more easily understandable , and thus gain the help he needs.

I have corrected my English.

However, I can't help thinking you may be more gainfully employed assisting Lee with his query.

After all you are an expert on 306s.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

All good. Thanks for your efforts.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Picky Pair!
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Hi Lee,

I've added some line breaks, which as you can see makes your post more easily readable.

I'm no expert on 306s , but I'm sure someone else will help you.

I have recently purchased a '98 N5 306, reckon it's an XT as it's a 1.8 16v with all the fruit including 10 stack cd player in the boot and rain sensing wipers, just no trim level badging!

Anyhoo, I've fallen in love, it's that nice to drive, and the coupla months I've owned it have been pretty trouble free, until last week when I filled her up with petrol then noticed the growing puddle of 98 octane in front of the right rear wheel

As I walked back from paying. A little bit of research using dr google told me it was possibly the little valve thingy on the side of the tank. A quick look under the car told me that yes, this was the problem, as the outlet had broken off.

So, following what I saw on a thread from this forum, I bought myself a straight through fuel line connector yesterday, pulled the valve thingy off, and just connected the two lines together. Sweet, no more fuel smell! So all was well this morning on my 5km drive in to work, drive home the same.

Then I had to go to the shops.

As I pulled out of my driveway the car seemed to bog down, once she reached about 2500rpm she pulled fine. Then I noticed that regardless of what gear I was in she was bogging down if below that 2000-2500rpm. As I pushed the clutch in at the lights the idle dropped way down to 500ish, idle has always been roughly 1000rpm.

Pulling away from the lights was nasty, car bogging down and almost bunny hopping away until road and engine speed picked up. So I made it to the shops, but when I tried to leave she just didn't want to know about it. Idling extremely roughly, and pumping the throttle just made her backfire and stall.

While trying to diagnose the problem I noticed that I couldn't hear the fuel pump, which has always been quite noticable when the ignition is turned on and it primes. It's also always made a short little hum about 10 seconds after turning the engine off. On closer inspection I could still hear it, only very, very faintly. So I'm assuming that this is my problem, although the picking up at higher revs seems very strange to me. I'm hoping that some of you learned gentlemen (or ladies) might be able to help me here.

Does my diagnosis sound correct?

And is it possible that I caused the problem by bypassing that valve?

Or is the timing just coincidence?

Sorry if this query has turned into an essay, and thanks for any help.

-Lee
    Thanks mate, I'm pretty new at this interwebby sorta thing...

As you can probably tell!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    Sounds strange. I also bypassed my little thingy in a similar way and have had no issues. I wonder if yours is struggling for air? Open the fuel cap and see if it comes good.
    That was one of my first thoughts mate, tried it, nothing. :-(

I recently replaced my fuel pump in my 97 306. It failed slowly and intermittently. Caused the car to cut out, stall and generally be rough as it couldn't supply enough fuel pressure. The new pump fixed it immediately.

There's also a seal in the top of the pump that cracks with age. I believe there's a DIY repair detailed on this forum otherwise if you can afford it a new fuel pump could be the fix.

Also check the fuel filter. Could just be dirty.

I reckon the filter should be ok, I have a receipt for a relatively recent service (the car had been sitting since January before I bought it) that included the fuel filter.

The fact that I can barely hear the pump working is the main thing leading me to the conclusion that it's the problem.

The thing that doesn't make sense to me is that before it completely gave up, while I was driving, it only seemed to be an issue under 2500rpm. Once it reached that it picked up and seemed to run fairly normally in the higher rev range.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Leeroy69 View Post
    I reckon the filter should be ok, I have a receipt for a relatively recent service (the car had been sitting since January before I bought it) that included the fuel filter.

The fact that I can barely hear the pump working is the main thing leading me to the conclusion that it's the problem.

The thing that doesn't make sense to me is that before it completely gave up, while I was driving, it only seemed to be an issue under 2500rpm. Once it reached that it picked up and seemed to run fairly normally in the higher rev range.

It may be coincidental but replace the 02 sensor if it doesn't look newish !
    Came across the same issue recently. Been running on ethanol fuel plus overdue lambda sensor change ! (100k recommended)

I did wonder if it might be the O2 sensor, it was purely the fact that the fuel pump wasn't making its usual loud hum/buzz that had me leaning in that direction. Hmm, really not sure now!

Fellow Frogger!

I did wonder if it might be the O2 sensor, it was purely the fact that the fuel pump wasn't making its usual loud hum/buzz that had me leaning in that direction. Hmm, really not sure now!

The main symptom of a failed Lambda sensor (apart from using heaps of fuel) is that the engine won't idle when warm (open loop) but will like heaps of revs.
    If no history of 02 replacement just do it. The car will run that much better.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1x-NGK-N...72.m2749.l2649

If you can wait a couple of weeks !

Don't suppose anyone can tell me if the 8v and 16v share o2 sensors and/or fuel pumps?

Coincidence it is! O2 sensor.

Alain likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Don't suppose anyone can tell me if the 8v and 16v share o2 sensors and/or fuel pumps?

Check here

Oxygen Sensors : NGK Spark Plugs Australia | Iridium Spark Plugs | Glow Plugs | Oxygen Sensors | Ignition Leads | Ignition Coils

Alain

So it turns out that because mine is an early '98 model it uses a different O2 sensor to both the earlier and later models!

After one that didn't work, ordering in a second one from Melbourne that I didn't even try as the plug was different, a heap of research consulting Dr Google, then eventually modifying the plug on the 3rd sensor (also ordered from Melbourne), I finally have my baby back!!!

Lucky I work in a dealership, only took 2 weeks to fix.

Thread Information