Dismantling 203/403 lever shocks
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By pontarriere
  • 2 Post By tok403

Thread: Dismantling 203/403 lever shocks

Default Dismantling 203/403 lever shocks

Does anyone have experience of pulling lever shocks apart? Most of the shocks I have are leaking through the oil seals and I want to replace the seals. The arm that is held on by a nut comes off easily enough (after removing the rubber bush of course), but the other arm is welded on to the shaft that runs through the shock. I thought that this arm and the shaft would come out together, but after considerable pressure with a gear puller on the end of the shaft it has only budged a few millimetres. Are you supposed to grind the weld off this arm and remove it, leaving the shaft in place? Incidentally, the oil seals are 25x47x7 size which are readily available and are a lip seal,much better than the original seals. I have found a good way to clean the shocks is to fill them with kero and work the levers up and down several times. Drain this and repeat a couple of times - a lot of dirty gunk comes out. The oil I use is Penrite shocker oil number 2.

Advertisement
    Dano likes this.

grinding the welds off then removing the arm is the only option, unless you have some special tools to support the finger that moves the piston. pressing the shaft to remove it will result in the finger breaking the piston unless the bearing inside the arm is supported. cheers Pete

PS when you get the arm off you usually find the old seal has worn a big groove in the arm, this will require either welding and machining or a speedi sleeve
    Last edited by PCOATES505; 20th November 2017 at 07:11 PM.

I am gunna get another 403 on the road........one day

Tadpole

Does any firm offer a reconditioning service for the lever arm shocks?

bob
    1000+ Posts

Default in olden times.....

G'day,

these things were the cause of some grief in my youth - Morris products in those days, but as I recall Austins were the same, in the era before amalgamation..... maybe.... which suggested that the OEM thing was all the same.

Never pulled them apart, can't help there. They were invariably all different in their action, used to hang a spring balance off the end of the arm to check 'em - or was it a bloody great weight and stopwatch - or was it elbow feel - it was a long time ago fellas....

To even out the hydraulics I used to go the motorbike shop and get a selection of fork oil grades. Corrected and improved the handling on a number of these ancient beasts, the before and after driving experience was always quite marked...

cheers,
    Bob

Tadpole

You could buy reconditioning kits for the shock absorbers. We used to get a local engineer to do them. It wasn't cheap. You could send them away to places that offered a reco service. People short on money would put heavier oil in them. They were told not to do it because the arms became prone to breakage. The biggest problem was chopping out the bush where it met the front assembly. They used to send up Australian made bushes that didn't last. If you specified French it lasted longer.

Bush Mechanic again
    Brake fluid will swell seals. May stop the leak. A tiny amount for a shock
    No warranty on this tip

Made me reminisce on a different mode thinking about shocks
    https://youtu.be/bx0rwtVDi1I
    NOW: 1960 403 Sedan 1954 203 Ute
    Previous Peugeot 1 203 6+ 403 7+ 404. 4 504 4 505. 1 205
    Renault. 3. 12ís. 2. 16ís 1. 25wagon. 1. Floride
    Citroen 1gs

1000+ Posts

I did a set about 12 ,years ago....took them to engineer mate...dangerous job on lathe...machined bore...fitted New seals...no prob...I have heard of people being charged 2 to 300 bucks EACH...,for them being repaired by complete thieves...in my opinion...amazingly they were happy to pay...lost me...

Sent from my HUAWEI TAG-L22 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Here is great site on rebuild can’t translate but picture paints thousand words.
    http://sd-2.archive-host.com/membres..._203part12.pdf
    friday403 and Roland like this.
    NOW: 1960 403 Sedan 1954 203 Ute
    Previous Peugeot 1 203 6+ 403 7+ 404. 4 504 4 505. 1 205
    Renault. 3. 12ís. 2. 16ís 1. 25wagon. 1. Floride
    Citroen 1gs

Thanks tok403 - that link is fantastic. I spoke to Malcolm Goodwin at Cessnock who is a 403 expert - he told me you have to take the round caps off the bottom and remove the pistons to get the other arm out (as shown in your link). The second arm stays welded to the shaft.

Thread Information