Source of flasher relay for 206 GTi needed
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon5 Source of flasher relay for 206 GTi needed

I am seeking assistance in locating a supplier for the specific Fujitsu flasher relay to suit our 2001 206 GTi. Dave Collier and I have taken out the Built in Integrated System (BIS) [aka as a BSI] to access the internal flasher relay therein. The Fujitso part number is FBR51ND10-WF which is often abbreviated to 51ND10-WF.
    I have been able to find suppliers in Europe, UK & USA for the similar Fujitsu relays, being 51ND10-W and 51ND10-W1. These ones cost about AU$6 -7 plus freight but unfortunately the specifications are slightly wrong. Dave is insistent that the new one needs to be the '-WF' version and I agree with him. The W & W1 are rated for steady 60A max for lamps while the WF is specific as 80A for flashers.
    Dave and I have tried locally, Sydney and Melbourne, only to be told to purchase the whole BIS, for $230 - $600, depending upon who you purchase from in the greater Sydney area.
    I have even contacted Fujitsu in Singapore, Melbourne and Sydney to no avail.
    Has anyone found a supplier for this 'WF' Fujitsu flasher relay, no matter where in the world? Or maybe able to tell me of an alternative manufacturer, of OEM quality please?

Advertisement

I'd head to diy wrecker

I'd suspect the flasher relays would be the same to number of other PSA vehicles. I'd start with a basic 206 first.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

1000+ Posts

Have you seen this? JP's homepage
    He mentions source and alternatives

1000+ Posts

Tadpole

Yes thank you. I have seen this page and it is why I am seeking the $5-7 relay vs the $1,000+ BSI

Tadpole

And thank you again. Yes I too had found this one. But the USA supplier will not despatch to outside USA. I may have to call upon USA based relatives to buy and send it to me. Thanks again. Your reply is much appreciated.

Tadpole

Thank you for your reply. I am trying to avoid going second hand as the car is a much treasured 'keeper', vs being just basic transport.

Quote Originally Posted by Blowfly View Post
    Thank you for your reply. I am trying to avoid going second hand as the car is a much treasured 'keeper', vs being just basic transport.
    You could try one of electronic component suppliers.

RS Components
    Element 14
    Digikey

The pinout of the relay looks to an industry standard.

If you have a technician in the loop, you could look at replacing the mechanical relay with DC SSR (direct current solid state relay)

I doubt that the 60A vs 80A is significant. You'll never need currents like that in this use. Normal operation is probably switching about 5 Amps. Even 60 Amps would fry the tracks on that PCB in seconds, let alone 80!

So long as the connections are the same and it fits physically, it should work fine.

Tadpole

G'day all who replied and those otherwise interested.
    FYI: For the replacement flasher relay for the 2001 Pug 206 GTi, all my further research this morning has revealed that the '-WF' original relay is now obsolete.
    The replacement is the '-W1' model, with nearly all the same specifications. The difference is a maximum inrush current of 60A, vs 80A.
    I have ordered five (5) of these for a total of $6.10 AUD for the parts, but $35.12 freight from France. Should be here (Parramatta area, NSW) in four (4) days.
    My prior enquiries revealed the Australian new car dealerships, et al, could not supply these type of relays + new BIS were c. $1,050- from dealerships and $385 from Dapco at Kingsgrove + second hand BIS were quoted at $600 - 800- = ridiculous, just to get the tw relays.
    Anyway, I'm reliably informed that the new relays shall cost about $100 - 150 in labour to install (desolder and resolder) into the original BIS, thus keeping all the original software / passwords, et al intact.

1000+ Posts

Any decent technician will cost a lot less than that and 60A is bucket loads for about 60 watts (5A) of indicators.
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    60A is bucket loads for about 60 watts (5A) of indicators.
    I say one thing to you, Matt.

"consider the cold resistance of the lamp filaments and the 3x over rating allowance "

1000+ Posts

I hate analogue things like this and including motor start currents, you are spot on the cold resistance will do things but its DC, no reactive arcing and unless the bulbs a high wattage even at 3 or 4 times surely its less than 60A?

15A at 12V (180W) allows for 50W times three bulbs, indicators are not this heavy are they?

A tungsten lamp filament acts as Ptc thermistor, and cold resistance is around 10% of the hot resistance.

And it's true it is not a reactive circuit. However the designers need to factor in the cold filament current and some safety margin. I guess the relay they used is closest product that meets their specification.

I'd guess it has failed mechanically because of the flashing duty cycle.

If it were me I would replace it with mosfet output device.

I came up in analogue era and valves were phasing out as I commenced my degree. So I still a solid grounding in these , old school, technologies.

1000+ Posts

Thanks, I started mine well and truly after valves but admittedly they did bang on about transistor small circuit models so I lost the knowledge that filaments in valves brought, although I do understand them, at least with one and only one grid! Oh well he needs a high current relay, the very reason my 205 has no incandescent rubbish as much as I can attain.

Thread Information