205 GTi restoration on French Wheeler Dealers
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 205 GTi restoration on French Wheeler Dealers

Hi, most 205 GTi owners have probably seen the English Wheeler Dealer episodes of the 205 GTi restoration from a few years back.

Well the French Wheeler Dealer program have just 'restored' a GTi... https://youtu.be/SIootVuMJIs

There is a bit a surprise test drive at the end... I've seen that dude somewhere before :-)

Advertisement

Interesting bit of kit the bodyshop are using at 38:40.

Cheers

griffo

Quote Originally Posted by ng850 View Post

There is a bit a surprise test drive at the end... I've seen that dude somewhere before :-)

Cheers

griffo
    Looks like he heeds bit more tuition on the best lines to pick
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Quote Originally Posted by ng850 View Post
    Hi, most 205 GTi owners have probably seen the English Wheeler Dealer episodes of the 205 GTi restoration from a few years back.

Well the French Wheeler Dealer program have just 'restored' a GTi... https://youtu.be/SIootVuMJIs

Interesting bit of kit the bodyshop are using at 38:40.

Cheers

griffo

Just a very expensive gizmo, which is basically a digital camera capable of .raw files (most likely in a proprietary format readable only by their company software) to give the percentage of colour in RGB (or whatever other standard you choose - in their case whatever it was they used to code their paints). Which is the only thing stopping you from using your camera. You don't have the colour proportions for the pigments in each colour. If you can lay hands on that (I expect it is a very closely guarded manufacturer database) you can use your camera (it doesn't even have to be a very good one - you just have to use appropriate/consistent light). Meh. Great results, nevertheless.

And nice car, but I am quite surprised they didn't resurface the flywheel for the new clutch.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

Yep, understand what and why... just interesting to see this kinda kit in action.

Colors

Never been to Bunnings ?

They use a very similar system to match paint to customer samples.

Obviously auto paint repairs are more expensive.So the system needs be more complicated.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

I think the only complication is having YOUR (as in manufacturer) paints coded in YOUR own (patented or otherwise protected) database. That ties the user to buying paint only from that manufacturer.

Colours have been standardised for a long time, but just like in the digital camera industry, everybody thinks they'll get a bigger share of the market if they keep their cards to their chest.

There is no need for that in my opinion and the camera industry experience shows proprietary file formats have no impact on camera sales (if anything it might drive buyers away from you if they have to buy your software to read your files/see their pictures). Adobe and other professional packages read any file format of the big manufacturers, it just takes some time before you get yet another .raw format added to the package (usually pretty quickly for big camera companies) when these manufacturers think they have improved on the wheel design (for the nth time). Obscure camera companies will of course get you stuck.

Just like in the camera industry there is a business opportunity there for someone to create a data base of all the paints for different manufacturers and render paying premium prices for a machine that comes preloaded with theses codes and/or the accompanying software pointless. Kinda like with the generic car computer fault code readers (OBD) you can get as opposed to the manufacturer hardware.

Just to give you some idea, digital cameras are so good, it is easy to estimate (and forensic scientists have been doing that for a while) how long a blood stain has been exposed to air (i.e. the time of a crime). The test is based on colour analysis and can be done in any of a number of commercially available (or even some free) software packages, of course. There are numerous studies (published papers) that use just commercially available cameras to do that and prove the method is very reliable.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 14th November 2017 at 05:45 PM.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

Yep, but the results can be a tad variable. Very much down to operator skill. The granularity of the tinting is fairly large.

If you are painting a house/room you tend to be doing a whole surface whereas with automotive paint you might be only doing a relatively small section which needs to match existing... ymmv.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Never been to Bunnings ?

They use a very similar system to match paint to customer samples.

Obviously auto paint repairs are more expensive.So the system needs be more complicated.

Regardless, I would suggest the base technology is the same.

However, I agree the auto paint system is is in a much "flasher" package.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Thread Information