• 6 Post By Dano
  • 1 Post By Armidillo
  • 1 Post By garyk
  • 1 Post By Mike Tippett
  • 5 Post By Bruce Llewellyn
  • 2 Post By DeeCee

Thread: An apt price for a Peugeot

Default An apt price for a Peugeot

The picture below shows a 404 currently on eBay Australia. The current bid price is most appropriate for a Peugeot

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Apt price.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	101218

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Bit high for a 404 though...

Fellow Frogger!

Connerie!!

A

Quote Originally Posted by Armidillo View Post
    Bit high for a 404 though...
    Dano likes this.

Not wishing to start a stoush with anyone, but should not we talking our margues (Peugeots etc.) up. Granted, the value of any product is what a purchaser is prepared to pay.

Having been in and around Peugeots for nearly 50 years, it has always amazed me, how people think that they are overpriced or not worthy of a better resale value. Especially the earlier classic models, such as the 404, 403 and 203’s.

Why is a '69, base model Holden or Ford etc. seen as being more valuable than a '69 PUG. Base models are being used as the argument, because GT's, GTHO's, XU1’s and alike are in a breed of their own. The base model is also a good comparison, as the 404 had no optional extras. What you saw was what you got. Just because it is French or has a smaller engine, does not necessarily mean that it is inferior. The base 4 door Torana of that time, had a 1200CC engine. It too, was classed as a small car.

For comparison reasons, I just poked around Carsales.com.au site and there is a 1970 base model Kingswood for 20K. I must admit, I did not look too hard, but it was one of the cheaper Kingswoods for sale.

Another argument that is often put forward, is Peugeots were not reliable or fashionable. Granted, they may not have appealed to everyone, but there was some 2500, 404’s sold in 1969. A lot less than the base Ford or Holden models, but what would be interesting to know is, how many base model Fords and Holdens sold that year are still on the road, compared to ’69 404’s as a percentage of numbers sold.

From first-hand experience, and in my opinion, it has been cheaper to restore a 404 than a Kingswood etc. If you have the time or are interested, check out the prices of panels etc., on a websites such as Rare Spares. XY Falcon door skins are $340 per panel.

If one is prepared to spend time and hunt around on eBay or other similar sites in Europe, NOS 404 door skins can be found , ranging from between 45-100 Australian dollars. Freight charges can be expensive, for a single unit, but as a complete set or pairs, it is not too bad. In my case $340 for a complete set, landed in Australia. This has been a similar pattern for just about every item bought so far to restore of the 404.

It is the reason why a 404 was chosen over a Holden or Falcon, which was the wife's preferred choice in the first place. After doing the research and sums, it became obvious what was going to be the cheapest restoration project.

As said earlier, this is not a go at anyone, but as things become rarer, maybe just maybe values should reflect that fact.

I think I have said enough. If it sounds like a rant, I do apologise.

Dano
    Last edited by Dano; 11th November 2017 at 08:46 AM.

1000+ Posts

Mate - it was a joke (which you started)! Of course a 404 is worth more than $404!
    Dano likes this.

Dano .... well, yes!

It is simply perception, Pugs did much better service than Holdens "back then" for Oz conditions, but just don't have the emotional sway and following that the Olden Holdens evoke. Sad, in that they deserve better (as do Renault 16s, Citroen GS/CX, etc) but good in that they are more affordable!
    Dano likes this.
    Once upon a time:

Many R4s (incl. fourgonnette), R5LS, R16TS.

GS 1015, 1220, sedans and wagons.
    CX 2200, 2400.
    ID 1966, 1969, DS21H, DSpecial, DS23 Pallas.
    C5 2002, 2004 petrol and diesel.
    sold ..... D Special 1974 ... to fellow Tassie AFer.
    sold ..... Xantia Activa 1998 (look out Gulargambone)
    sold .....GS 5 speed sedan (what a tale)
    sold .... 1986 2CV6

And now:

C5 2.2 HDI 2005 wagon
    CX25GTi 1985 auto
    CX2500 IE Pallas 1985 auto
    DS23 1973 Pallas
    DS23EFI 1975 Pallas

In France the 404 Club is lamenting the increasing values of all 404 models, but especially the C models, which can be quite expensive indeed. It is definitely the end of the innocent period when anyone could buy a decent 404C. The reason the Club isn't too keen on the inflation in value is that it means the speculators have entered the market and are running values up, marginalising more and more pure marque enthusiasts. But it is a double-edged sword: for decades, no-one (virtually) would restore a 404 because the cost was so out of proportion with the end value. Now, at least, paying for a restoration - if not a sensible financial decision - is not pure folly. So many are now being restored as never before. But I do understand the sentiment of the pure enthusiasts, who may not have enough money to buy a nice one these days.
    calgooley likes this.
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection in restoration NOW!
    2013 Ford Fiesta SE 1.6 manual
    2006 smart BRABUS Tailor-Made Canada 1 cabriolet
    2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

I better finish my 66 injected sedan then...

Fellow Frogger!

Rant away old son.........someone has to fly the flag for us automotive lepers.

Anyway.....what do they know?
    Dano and calgooley like this.

Thread Information