New to me 306 XSi
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Warus

Thread: New to me 306 XSi

Fellow Frogger!

Default New to me 306 XSi

I picked up a little XSi to run to work in and around town. Drove the 3 hours back home no problems until the fuel filter fell off in the worst possible location driving up a hill on a narrow single lane 100km road used by heavy trucks. I had to pull over with wheels right on the white line with a 6 foot drop off right against the passenger wheels in the pouring rain. There was no way it was safe to work on where it was so the Pug had a little ride into town on the back of a tow truck. Once the filter was reconnected away it went! Looks like a brand new filter was installed and not clipped correctly so it made 106kms of country road before coming loose.

Anyway all good now and got home fine and it's sitting at work on it's first commute. So a few things I need to sort and a few questions I guess:

When cruising along the car seemed to be better on part throttle rather than full. When floored it never really picked up much and I noticed once it got over 3,000 seemed to make a bit of noise like a gasket loose or hole somewhere. On part throttle it picks up fine and continues past 3k without fuss. Wondering if there is an issue with the O2 sensor as it cruises fine but on full throttle it isn't as happy or do I have that around the wrong way?

I will have a good look over on the weekend but what else should I be checking on an 18 year old 306? Seems most things work ok including the windows and sunroof. I think I lost a fuse or something as the fan stopped working after restarting the car. It had to be jump started after the hazards killed it waiting for a tow so no fan and the ac and recirculate button lights don't come on now either which were working prior to jump start.

Overall she seems to be in pretty ok condition for 18 years old and should make a good little commuter for my 10km trip!

Advertisement

They are great cars,

In the last couple of weeks I picked up a 2002 one owner XSI for not much money. From spending a bit of time behind the wheel it feels like a cross between and Mi16 and a grown up 205. A pretty good bit of kit I think!

Good luck with it.
    1988 Peugeot 505 GTI Wagon
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    1994 Peugeot 405 Mi16

1995 Peugeot 405 SRDT - Retired
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL
    1985 Peugeot 505 SRDT

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks. I found a small crack in the plastic intake manifold right in front of the dip stick. It looks like the manifold is made from 2 pieces (top and bottom) and it’s sort of broken at the join. It’s hard to tell from the angle. Everything else looks pretty good though from a closer look.

1000+ Posts

I think the crack would make sense, as the symptoms sound like running lean at full throttle, bu are you sure it's not just the way it's moulded? Obviously check all vacuum hoses - I've even had the flexible bellows connecting the air filter to the throttle body crack.

Cheers

Alec

Fellow Frogger!

Here is a pic of the area. It's hard to get a shot with the dipstick in the way. The red shows the gap I can feel with my finger and the blue shows where the lip of the top part of the manifold had broken away. This lip sort of wraps over the bottom part of the mold from what I can feel. No cracks that I can find in any hoses as yet! I will do a full service on the weekend and block that off with silicon to see if there is an improvement and look further.

Fellow Frogger!

i would be carefull filling that up with silicon,fuel and oil vapour will disolve it and let it be sucked into the manifold.there are other products you can use to fill it in.talk to a repco or burson outlet.

Fellow Frogger!

Are there 306 manuals floating around the web somewhere? I don't have either the owners manual or the service manual if someone knows where they can be found!

1000+ Posts

The Citroen Xsara has much in common, and you can download its handbook at CARNETS DE POCHE P306 manuals in French can also be found on usenet, if that's your thing.

Fellow Frogger!

I pulled off the intake hose on the weekend to have a closer look and check the airfilter etc. The filter is brand spanking new but the throttle body was covered in oil. I assume this is coming from the vent return hoses back into the intake hose. Is this normal? I cleaned it all up whilst in there and I have an upper engine cleaner I will run through soon to clean up the intake manifold etc. No smoke out the back so I assume the blow by is a normal amount on these cars?

Also the cat has a distinctive rattle at cold idle so I suspect it's dead and probably the cause of lack of power on higher throttle loads. DO I just go for a generic off the shelf item at any exhaust shop or do I need to source a spare for a 306? I'm not sure with the cat up front on these things. There is a hot dog looking middle muffler directly behind the cat in the mid pipe. Is that standard?

Fellow Frogger!

Pic of the little beastie.
    SLC206 likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

What's this button under the headlight adjuster do?

I traced the oil in the throttle body back to the ventilation hose on the top of the rocker cover (red line). It T's off to the throttle body and direct into the intake hose. There is no PCV or filter or anything. Is that the standard Pug setup on these?

Can't remember what my old xsi had but my GTi6 definitely has a pcv in-line, just off the cam cover

Looks like a rear-window rear switch de-mobiliser!

(Ie to stop the kiddies in the back seat from opening/closing the rear windows).
    Once upon a time:

Many R4s (incl. fourgonnette), R5LS, R16TS.

GS 1015, 1220, sedans and wagons.
    CX 2200, 2400.
    ID 1966, 1969, DS21H, DSpecial, DS23 Pallas.
    C5 2002, 2004 petrol and diesel.
    sold ..... D Special 1974 ... to fellow Tassie AFer.
    sold ..... Xantia Activa 1998 (look out Gulargambone)
    sold .....GS 5 speed sedan (what a tale)
    sold .... 1986 2CV6

And now:

C5 2.2 HDI 2005 wagon
    CX25GTi 1985 auto
    CX2500 IE Pallas 1985 auto
    DS23 1973 Pallas
    DS23EFI 1975 Pallas

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by garyk View Post

Looks like a rear-window rear switch de-mobiliser!

(Ie to stop the kiddies in the back seat from opening/closing the rear windows).
    That makes sense but I would never have guess it! Will try it out later and see.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Warus View Post
    That makes sense but I would never have guess it! Will try it out later and see.
    you can use a generic cat as long as it is large enough to handle the gas flow,the standard resinator behind the cat is not a hot dog,its a oval shape.
    yep the switch is to stop the kids jumping out the rear windows

If youíre not sure where the service book / manual lives, itís in a little tray under the passenger seat - not obvious unless you know... awesome little cars! What you describe with the vent hoses and oil is the same on mine. No filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Blah. It certainly looks like standard hoses and connectors it just seems odd that oil can enter back into the intake easily. There was a fair bit of crud in the hose which I cleaned out and it blocked the smaller hose into the throttle body. I will check under the seat.

With the catalytic convertor - I have a rattle from mine that's developed recently.

If you want to see what it looks like out of the car, see this:

My 306

The replacement cat was about $200 a number of years ago. Both new and original are stainless and when I went to a local exhaust shop, told them what I wanted and they wouldn't touch it! "We don't weld/do custom work" was the response.

Interested to hear how you get on...
    Last edited by blahblah; 19th November 2017 at 09:09 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

So the first time it failed blue slip..

They couldn't find the middle rear seat belt. It was under the seat...
    The AC fuse issue meant the fan wasn't working which then in turn would not demist the windscreen which is fair enough. Fixed that last night.
    The stupid airbag light/connector fault came on during the assessment. I cleaned the connector and it went away.

So the car went back this morning and passed with flying colours. They didn't think the rattle was anything worth worrying about as it's intermittent. Now to throw fist fulls of money to the RMS to get it's NSW colours.

Thread Information