407 HDi auto gearbox change.
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 407 HDi auto gearbox change.

Morning All,
    Am thinking and wondering about the feasibility of replacing the 4 speed auto in my '05 407 HDi with the 6 speed auto that was fitted in the later cars. If you have any ideas or knowledge it would be much appreciated. Thanks and all the best.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

It is really easy. Sell your car and buy one with a 6 speed box. They're getting surprisingly cheap. I am on the lookout for a wagon.

I dont think it would be possible without a complete late model 407 to be able to swap the ECU and BSI plus keys over. The mechanical part of installing the 6 speed would be the easiest bit.
    I have a rebuilt 2.0 HDI AL4 which just needs a torque converter. PM if required

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks lads.! Pretty much what I expected, but one never knows. dcc236 we're both on the same mission; I'm very happy with the 407 HDi 6 speed manual, but the other half prefers auto and I know of a good HDi wagon in 4sp auto. Perhaps you may be able to enlighten me about the AL4; Service box tells me that a D8 406 with V6 petrol has the BVA4 transmission and gearbox (characteristics) HP20(AG) which I've always considered as being the ZF 4HP20 transmission unit, and then when looking up an early 407 HDi 4sp auto the description is the same BVA4 and HP20(AG). This obviously leads to the thinking that they are one and the same save for the final drive ratio variation. Does this make any sense.? I'm confused but then I never did French at school. Cheers.

Thread Information