308 steering rack washer
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By broomy
  • 1 Post By N5GTi6

Thread: 308 steering rack washer

Default 308 steering rack washer

Having just removed the subframe from our T7 308, the following washer fell out at some point. The steering rack on the 308 bolts directly to the subframe. The subframe was detached from the steering rack which was left on the car.

Only one of them, and it looks as though it was between the steering rack and the sub frame.

But only one of them ?

308 steering rack washer-308-steering-rack-washer.jpg

This is NOT the washer in the following pic @ (2) as the following washer is flat and goes under the nut.

308 steering rack washer-308-steering-rack-big.jpg

The washer I'm looking at has pressed, raised ridges on either side and there are imprint marks on the subframe and the steering rack. It's not listed in the ServiceBox pic.

Another anomaly was that the screw in the high pressure pipe bracket was missing. The car has had previous work done by the dealer years ago, but it never occurred to me that they would have put the car back together again and been happy with leftover parts. One side of the subframe clearly shows 2 sets of imprints from the washer - the other side only one set of imprints. So it looks like one washer was reinstalled but not the other.

Advertisement

I can't find a listing for it on ServiceBox, and can't find a reference anywhere on the WWW.

Should I have 2 of these washers, one for each side ? Part number ? Substitute with a plain washer ? Leave it out and put it back together with one like it's been for quite a few years ?

Cheers

Justin
    Last edited by N5GTi6; 4th November 2017 at 10:09 PM.
    '07 Megane R26
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '09 308 XSE Touring
    '10 308 Sportium Touring

Hmmm. The plot thickens.

The '2 U' stamped into the 'washer' is the thickness - 2mm. So it's a shim.

Part 4010 C7 is a 2mm 'shim' commonly used in 407 / c5 sedan steering racks

Part 4010 C8 is a 3mm 'shim' commonly used in 407 coupe steering racks.

A search on 4010 in ServiceBox with this cars VIN still doesn't show up this shim in the listing.

Cheers

Justin
    '07 Megane R26
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '09 308 XSE Touring
    '10 308 Sportium Touring

Here is a pic of the shim in a ServiceBox pic of a 407 Sedan : Number 3 in the following pic :

308 steering rack washer-407-steering-rack-shim-big.jpg

So I have another option - should I reinstall the Steering rack / Subframe without any 'shims' at all as per the ServiceBox listing for my VIN ?

Was the mechanic at the dealer planning on doing my head in one day by only putting one of these shims into my car ?

Cheers

Justin
    '07 Megane R26
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '09 308 XSE Touring
    '10 308 Sportium Touring

I have seen them between the rack and subframe, you are right in saying its not a washer between the subframe and the nut. Bites into the subframe, make sure it isnt stuck to the rack or subframe (the other one)
    The wrong oil is better than no oil at all.

So, during the previous work, the mechanic has dropped and lost the second shim.

I would put the remaining one back where it came from and get another one (or washer) of similar thickness to replace the missing one.

My other thought is that I wonder if these shims were used to raise the rack, change the geometry, and reduce or eliminate the tendency of a lot of 307s to track left. I understand this problem was solved in the 308.

Cheers
    Roland

Land Rover Discovery 4
    406 Coupe D9 - Manual (2002)
    406 SV Sedan D8 - Manual (1998)
    307 Hdi Estate - Auto - (2007)
    307 Hdi Sedan - Auto - (2007)
    505GR Estate - Personal Import from UK 1971cc Manual (March 1986)
    405 Mi16x4 (all the parts ready to install into the LeMans body)

Definitely not stuck to the subframe or rack. I've scanned the garage floor - no signs of the second shim.

I had the same thought about it being used to 'adjust' the steering. This 308 tracks pretty straight - slight pull to the left.

If I was going to put one shim back in on one side for this reason - which side would it be. I don't know which side the existing shim fell out of. Any thoughts ?

Cheers

Justin
    '07 Megane R26
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '09 308 XSE Touring
    '10 308 Sportium Touring

Quote Originally Posted by N5GTi6 View Post
    Hmmm. The plot thickens.

The '2 U' stamped into the 'washer' is the thickness - 2mm. So it's a shim.

Part 4010 C7 is a 2mm 'shim' commonly used in 407 / c5 sedan steering racks

Part 4010 C8 is a 3mm 'shim' commonly used in 407 coupe steering racks.

A search on 4010 in ServiceBox with this cars VIN still doesn't show up this shim in the listing.

Cheers

Justin
    Justin see if you can find one of many C5s wrecking and grab a shim from one. Otherwise order the 4010.C7 as obviously a pain to strip down a wreck if the engine hasn't been removed already

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by N5GTi6 View Post
    . . . One side of the sub-frame clearly shows 2 sets of imprints from the washer - the other side only one set of imprints. . . .

If I was going to put one shim back in on one side for this reason - which side would it be. I don't know which side the existing shim fell out of. Any thoughts ?. . .
    If there are imprints on both sides then there must have been 2 washers (shims) probably from new.

When the first work was done by the dealer, one shim has got dropped and lost and the other one was put back. Hence the two imprint marks on one side (once from new and once from the dealer's work).
    The other side only has one imprint (from new).

My thoughts are to return it to new status - fit the existing shim on one side and get a replacement for the missing one on the other side.

Cheers
    Roland

PS. The existing shim must have come from the side with 2 imprints assuming only the dealer and you have removed the rack from the sub-frame!
    Land Rover Discovery 4
    406 Coupe D9 - Manual (2002)
    406 SV Sedan D8 - Manual (1998)
    307 Hdi Estate - Auto - (2007)
    307 Hdi Sedan - Auto - (2007)
    505GR Estate - Personal Import from UK 1971cc Manual (March 1986)
    405 Mi16x4 (all the parts ready to install into the LeMans body)

These washers come with the new rack thatís why they donít show on parts guide ie studs on rack hold them in

Fellow Frogger!

always two shims under the rack,two must go back on.

Quote Originally Posted by dimistyle View Post
    Justin see if you can find one of many C5s wrecking and grab a shim from one. Otherwise order the 4010.C7 as obviously a pain to strip down a wreck if the engine hasn't been removed already

No new 4010.C7's in stock in Australia.

I found a 407 sedan at a wreckers - checked the VIN and confirmed that it had the 2mm shims. Still had the engine in it but it was actually pretty easy to get at.

Pulled a shim out of the wreck and it was 3mm....

Seems like Peugeot don't even know what's going on - either that or there is a conspiracy with mechanics to repeatedly reinstall either no shim or the incorrect shim.

Cheers

Justin
    '07 Megane R26
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '09 308 XSE Touring
    '10 308 Sportium Touring

Bad luck...did they have any C5's

I wonder if the use as 2mm and 3mm shim to get the angle correct. Where both sides:fitted with 3mm on the wreck?

Quote Originally Posted by dimistyle View Post
    Bad luck...did they have any C5's

I wonder if the use as 2mm and 3mm shim to get the angle correct. Where both sides:fitted with 3mm on the wreck?

No C5's at that yard on that day.

According to ServiceBox the 407 should have had 2mm on both sides.........

Unfortunately they were clearing out that part of the yard and the guy actually tried to pickup the wreck with a forklift to take it to the crusher while I was underneath it !! So when I pulled the first shim out and it was 3mm I pretty much gave up on that car. I now notice it's gone from their online listing so assume it's been crushed now.

Cheers

Justin
    '07 Megane R26
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '09 308 XSE Touring
    '10 308 Sportium Touring

Shimming racks and offsetting tie rod ends {in cars with and without p/steering in the same model ie Holden} its common practice as its to correct bump steer .
    Pretty basic engineering really.
    BIGRR likes this.

Maybe time to go to a hardware store and measure up some appropriate thickness washers but 2mm maybe difficult would suspension workshop hold anything similar?

Back together and I have to say the steering feels lighter.

So it's gone from a 2mm shim on one side, and no shim on the other side....to.....a 2mm shim on one side and a 3mm shim on the other side.

I wish there was a way of measuring the steering response to confirm, because subjective evaluations can always be quite variable, but I'd have to say it does feel lighter.

For all my looking I just couldn't find a matching 2mm shim. I was keen to keep the 'notched' shims in place as I figured they could aid with positive steering rack placement, but who knows.

Cheers

Justin
    dimistyle likes this.
    '07 Megane R26
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '09 308 XSE Touring
    '10 308 Sportium Touring

Thread Information