Newbie needs some ADVICE and HELP on this 207CC AUTO!
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon9 Newbie needs some ADVICE and HELP on this 207CC AUTO!

Hello guys, G'day! I just bought this second-hand Peugeot 207cc from private. The vehicle service book shows he had done several services but not so regular. The odometer is currently showing 99300Kms. I got some questions about this car and I could not find on online resources related. Much appreciate for all the replies!

Engine: 1.6L Petrol.

• Recommended Oil is Total Quartz INEO ECS (5W30). The first problem is where can I buy this total oil on the normal auto shop. Do I have to buy this at Peugeot dealers? Do they actually sell this oil to you or they will say you can only have this oil when you are servicing at there. If they sell it, how much do they often charge?

• Besides this Total INEO ECS oil, any good oil recommend? Since this lion is kind of old, I wanna give it best oil as I can buy on the market. I did research on SCA, they recommended me to buy Castrol edge titanium 5w30. And I found online the Mobil 1 0W-40 Engine Oil is also pretty good. I just do not really know which one is the best for the engine. (By the way, the last owner just service this lion at some weird mechanics shop, they fed with SHELL HELIX PLUS 15W50...I don't really understand)

• I want to do the basic service at home with my mate, the big question is where can I buy the gasket/O-ring for drain bolt. Do dealers sell it? should I just email them and ask it?

• For the Oil filter and Air filter, do you guys prefer the OEM units or the Ryco? Where can I buy the OEM parts? Or do you guys have any recommendations?

• When I cold started the car, the engine seems like got some noise. video link: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJo56lvr-TE). yeah, mine one sounds like this. The you-tuber claims it's the rubber belt issue. But I don't know its the timing belt or the alternator belt sounds. Also, I can't really find out is this 88KW 1.6L petrol engine uses the timing chain or timing belt. Since its near 100k, what can I do to protect/maintain this engine?

• If it is the timing belt/chain issue, what do you guys reckon will this fix cost? or should I take it to collier's auto shop?

• I know the spark plugs are not that hard to replace, but I heard someone says after replacing the spark plug, I need to use pp2000 to adjust something on ecu?

AL4 Auto Gearbox

• I know AL4 gearbox is a monster....., I have viewed a lot of posts about AL4 oil change, I think I am able to change it by myself. But the only question is where can i buy the special ATF oil? Still, have to buy through dealers? or do they even sell it?

Coolant issues:

• currently, the coolant level is showing below the minimum a little bit. And I can not find any proper coolant is made for Peugeot on the market. Should i buy the coolant from the dealer? or should i just flush the system and use another normal coolant from SCA?

• At this stage, my coolant's colour is kind of white/yellow. Can I just add some demineralised water to ensure the level is above the minimum level? I am planning to do a total coolant flush on Christmas. So can i use water during this short period?

Thank you so much for reading all of these non-sense sentences. I just want to take care of this 10 years old car as much as I can. I am also kind of low on budget.(still uni student), so I wanna do everything at home if it doesn't require special/expensive tools.(labour fees killed me). Any advice for maintaining old car would help! Thanks a lot! Appreciate all the replies!

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Gosh that's hard to read.... a bit like shouting

The 1.6 non-turbo is from the EP6 family (88kW, 160Nm). Some if these had timing chain issues and by now have been fixed. Colliers will recognise the sound, which happens at cold start, if they hear it. Be aware you can expect a small rattle which soon goes away inormally. It plagues the turbo models more, and is expensive, with special tools required and some prior know-how. The PSA-BMW engine is not all that conventional.

Spark plugs are easy, using a long tool (Toledo do one). You don't fiddle with computers.

Any quality full synth oil to the spec will do. Total is available from some dealers and from quite a few places, but in NSW is a bit hard to find. Quartz Ineo ECS is a high spec low ash stuff essential in diesels, optional in petrols. You'll need an 8mm hex tool for the sump plug. You'll also need a large 27 socket for the oil filter cap.

For filters and the sump washer, call EAI http://www.eai.net.au/ at Thornleigh or Dapco. Try hard to use French Purflux filters. They aren't expensive, are high quality, and are made for the engine.

AL4 oil is a popular forum topic. You can find the spec, with looking, and some use other makes.

Coolant is made in Europe, and can be found at any Pug or Citroen dealer. It is blue.

PS At that mileage, there are likely to be error or wear conditions recorded. Find someone or a workshop to read them, reset, and see what returns as still present.
    Last edited by seasink; 3rd November 2017 at 05:52 PM.

Tadpole

Hi, Seaskin. G'day! Sorry for the shitty grammar, I am just too excited to have this car. Thank you for all the suggestions! Do they(EAI and Dapco) sell the same quality parts?(since dapco is so close to my house). Thanks mate! Have a good day!

CC207,

Welcome to

Dapco will be fine for filters, etc.

Spark plugs will just require a possibly unusual spark plug socket: a 14mm 12point thin-walled deep socket.

Personally, I wouldn't use anything other than 5W30 or 0W30 oil for this motor. Dealers will sell the Total oil to you, but it will be eye wateringly expensive from most of them.

Penrite 5W30 or something similar will be ok if you are in a hurry, but you can get the proper Total stuff from Onshore Oils in QLD (for example) sent down if you are fussy.
    Regards,

Simon

2014 208 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

SCA is not the doyen of all things motoring.
    They are pretty good at selling eskies and trolleys though.

Throw whatever decent oil in the sump, as long as it matches the 5W30 (or 5W40) decree. Don't be afraid of the 'other' oils such as Penrite, Nulon, and Gulf Western. They're fine.

Dave
    2009 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi wagon
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Quote Originally Posted by CC207 View Post
    Hello guys, G'day! I just bought this second-hand Peugeot 207cc from private. The vehicle service book shows he had done several services but not so regular. The odometer is currently showing 99300Kms. I got some questions about this car and I could not find on online resources related. Much appreciate for all the replies!

Engine: 1.6L Petrol.

• Recommended Oil is Total Quartz INEO ECS (5W30). The first problem is where can I buy this total oil on the normal auto shop. Do I have to buy this at Peugeot dealers? Do they actually sell this oil to you or they will say you can only have this oil when you are servicing at there. If they sell it, how much do they often charge?

• Besides this Total INEO ECS oil, any good oil recommend? Since this lion is kind of old, I wanna give it best oil as I can buy on the market. I did research on SCA, they recommended me to buy Castrol edge titanium 5w30. And I found online the Mobil 1 0W-40 Engine Oil is also pretty good. I just do not really know which one is the best for the engine. (By the way, the last owner just service this lion at some weird mechanics shop, they fed with SHELL HELIX PLUS 15W50...I don't really understand)

Go for the Mobil 1 0w40. Just make sure it is BMW LL-01 certified. It's an excellent oil (have been using it for quite sometime in the 308/508 & C5 and I'm definitely not switching back to the shitty BMW LL04 spec oils (found in Total Ineo ECS or Mobil 1 ESP formula etc ... )

• I want to do the basic service at home with my mate, the big question is where can I buy the gasket/O-ring for drain bolt. Do dealers sell it? should I just email them and ask it?

Dealers do sell it, and it has a part number. Although you can get away with not changing it every time (if you can't get it)

Also the air filter as well as cabin filter are very easy items to change.

• For the Oil filter and Air filter, do you guys prefer the OEM units or the Ryco? Where can I buy the OEM parts? Or do you guys have any recommendations?

I prefer Purflux, a make very well known and loved by any old Pug owner. It is the OEM for both BMW/Mini (in these engines) & PSA.

• When I cold started the car, the engine seems like got some noise. video link: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJo56lvr-TE). yeah, mine one sounds like this. The you-tuber claims it's the rubber belt issue. But I don't know its the timing belt or the alternator belt sounds. Also, I can't really find out is this 88KW 1.6L petrol engine uses the timing chain or timing belt. Since its near 100k, what can I do to protect/maintain this engine?

Timing chain and 1 auxiliary belt.
    Best protection is using good oil, and letting it warm up for a minute or 2 in the morning.

• If it is the timing belt/chain issue, what do you guys reckon will this fix cost? or should I take it to collier's auto shop?

• I know the spark plugs are not that hard to replace, but I heard someone says after replacing the spark plug, I need to use pp2000 to adjust something on ecu?

Not at all. Use a long & deep 14mm 12 point ar just a regular 15mm hexagon

AL4 Auto Gearbox

• I know AL4 gearbox is a monster....., I have viewed a lot of posts about AL4 oil change, I think I am able to change it by myself. But the only question is where can i buy the special ATF oil? Still, have to buy through dealers? or do they even sell it?

Oil should be changed at 60k Kms max. And you should do it at the dealer since they reset the oil wear counter using Diagbox.

Coolant issues:

• currently, the coolant level is showing below the minimum a little bit. And I can not find any proper coolant is made for Peugeot on the market. Should i buy the coolant from the dealer? or should i just flush the system and use another normal coolant from SCA?

• At this stage, my coolant's colour is kind of white/yellow. Can I just add some demineralised water to ensure the level is above the minimum level? I am planning to do a total coolant flush on Christmas. So can i use water during this short period?

Thank you so much for reading all of these non-sense sentences. I just want to take care of this 10 years old car as much as I can. I am also kind of low on budget.(still uni student), so I wanna do everything at home if it doesn't require special/expensive tools.(labour fees killed me). Any advice for maintaining old car would help! Thanks a lot! Appreciate all the replies!

Regarding the coolant, the most important thing is to get OAT coolant (Organic Acid Technology). Regardless of the color, it should say either OAT or G30 or G33 or G34.
    Avoid water since it causes the thermostat housing to leak by time.
    Chadi

1982 504 SR white manual sedan with A/C (257 000 Km)
    2012 308 1.6 VTi Vapor Grey manual H/B (35000 Km)
    1994 405 1.6 white manual sedan (208 000 Km)
    1992 605 SV24 (91 000 Km)
    2005 406 2.0L automatic (Replaced with a 2013 C5)
    1983 505 GR white manual sedan with A/C (170000 Km)

All since new

Have a look on the Nulon site there may be a compatible coolant that you can use but you need to dain the existing coolant. I used OneCoolant on C5 as its the correct spec.

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

Thread Information