replacing O2 sensor on 306 - what a difference
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ng850

Thread: replacing O2 sensor on 306 - what a difference

Default replacing O2 sensor on 306 - what a difference

after the fiasco we had tracking down a split fuel pump seal, I figured after 16 yrs of age to replace all the sensors on my daughter's 2001 Rallye 306

she's been complaining that fuel economy has dropped and starting hasn't been as sharp as it used to be

what a difference replacing the O2 sensor (we did it last) has made - the start is sharp, fuel economy has improved very markedly, idles as if tracking with a metronome and just drives a little more sweetly and effortlessly

some say wait until the sensor really deteriorates and throws up a fault - the good people at Euroserve say that on this model once it goes in their experience the car becomes virtually un-driveable and thought I was intuitive getting it replaced when I did

worth doing and if the exhaust is showing the signs of soot then I'd recommend just doing it

edit - car's done 135,000kms
    also recall reading somwhere that O2 sensors have a usable life of 100,000kms and should be replaced

Advertisement
    Last edited by alittlewino; 2nd November 2017 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alittlewino View Post
    after the fiasco we had tracking down a split fuel pump seal, I figured after 16 yrs of age to replace all the sensors on my daughter's 2001 Rallye 306

she's been complaining that fuel economy has dropped and starting hasn't been as sharp as it used to be

what a difference replacing the O2 sensor (we did it last) has made - the start is sharp, fuel economy has improved very markedly, idles as if tracking with a metronome and just drives a little more sweetly and effortlessly

some say wait until the sensor really deteriorates and throws up a fault - the good people at Euroserve say that on this model once it goes in their experience the car becomes virtually un-driveable and thought I was intuitive getting it replaced when I did

worth doing and if the exhaust is showing the signs of soot then I'd recommend just doing it

edit - car's done 135,000kms
    also recall reading somwhere that O2 sensors have a usable life of 100,000kms and should be replaced
    My cars done 207k km so Iíll add it to the list. I donít think theyíre outrageously expensive either...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need to do mine. Do you have a part number?

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    I need to do mine. Do you have a part number?
    this is the one that I bought from Spareto but it was bundled with some Merc brake parts so postage wasn't an issue

https://spareto.com/products/a2c59513176z-lambda-sensor

Fellow Frogger!

Well you have a choice with the Bosch sensors of going for the more expensive specific version with the correct length cable/connector or the cheaper generic version '0 258 986 506' which provides a connection system to your old cable. This generic sensor is the same 4 wire one used on the DKZ 205 GTi engines and also on the 405 XU engined models.

NTK also sell sensors with the correct cables/connectors for specific engine models.

Obviously if you are buying a specific version then you need to be sure of the engine model/year etc.

the one I purchased was simply unplug old from loom connector and plug in new i.e. a direct replacement

Fellow Frogger!

Yep, that's the easiest way to do it.

The main diff between the various actual sensors is the number of wires, the heater wattage and whether it's a narrow or wide band.

The Jetronic DFZ used a 3 wire and the later Motronic engines of the period used 4 wire. The extra wire was just a seperate ground for the signal.
    Roland likes this.

Thread Information