Head and block job
  • Register
  • Help

Icon10 Head and block job

Hi,

Just wondering if someone would knowthe rough labour time required to remove a head and block from a Mi, clean the head up, replace the block with a new one, and put it all back together. I'm just trying to figure it out before I get it done for me. Am I right to be thinking around 25-30 hours. God I hope not.

Advertisement

cheers
    Dave
    78 Fiat X1/9, Peugeot 406 ST, Peugeot 407 V6 SW

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Peugeot, Francais pour "Putain qu'c'est vite"[/FONT]

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

It'd be probably cheaper & a hell of a lot easier to find another motor.

You don't just 'replace a block'. To move everything to a new block would cost nearly the same in labour as fully re-building an existing motor (ie: EVERYTHING must be stripped from the old block, crank, crank shells, liners, pistons etc, etc... While it's in bits to this extent, the "While I'm here's" will add up to quite an amount to.

This isn't a job to be taken lightly.... Some serious work is involved. What's wrong with the old block, can it be repaired

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

yes, that's full rebuild, which ever way you look at it - $3.5-$4K?

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    yes, that's full rebuild, which ever way you look at it - $3.5-$4K?
    Hi Guys,

Yeah I know its a hell of a job but I figure at least it will be an engine which I know what has been done with it. I was thinking about a new motor but you just never know what they're like, or what type of car they came out of. My block is corroded badly, hence the need for a newbie. Peter, this is why I want one of your cams in a few months, when everything is opened up and easy to drop in. Am I right in thinking around 30 hours labour?

cheers
    Dave

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Quote Originally Posted by David Shearer

Am I right in thinking around 30 hours labour?

cheers
    Dave
    There is no way I could do it in 30 hrs, if that included removal and installation of the motor. You'd have to allow 6-7 hrs. just for removal/installation. More like 40-50 for a good job. More for quality. Think about the time it takes to strip, clean parts, trip to head place, etc.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    There is no way I could do it in 30 hrs, if that included removal and installation of the motor. You'd have to allow 6-7 hrs. just for removal/installation. More like 40-50 for a good job. More for quality. Think about the time it takes to strip, clean parts, trip to head place, etc.
    You could save yourself some money and drop the motor out yourself like I have just done.

It should only take about a month of sundays, saturdays, a long weekend or two and the occasional midweek day if it all goes as smoothly as my job.

Quote Originally Posted by Wazza
    You could save yourself some money and drop the motor out yourself like I have just done.

It should only take about a month of sundays, saturdays, a long weekend or two and the occasional midweek day if it all goes as smoothly as my job.
    I just hope the block is in ok condition so we don't have to do all this stuff. Why would it take 40-50 hours? I think I'll ring them and get them to give me the most accurate quote possible.

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Quote Originally Posted by David Shearer
    I just hope the block is in ok condition so we don't have to do all this stuff. Why would it take 40-50 hours? I think I'll ring them and get them to give me the most accurate quote possible.
    How do you know your block is corroded?
    I have had a bit of a look at the block I have pulled out (the head is off) and can see very little evidence of corrosion but then I don't know what I am looking for (waiting for more experienced eyes to return from Qld).
    When I took the head in to the head shop I didn't think it was too bad and I was surprised about the amount of corrosion he managed to find (looked like he dug it out with something sharp).
    Have you got another block? if so was it easy to find and how many $$ did it cost (roughly), I may have to go down this path yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Wazza
    How do you know your block is corroded?
    I have had a bit of a look at the block I have pulled out (the head is off) and can see very little evidence of corrosion but then I don't know what I am looking for (waiting for more experienced eyes to return from Qld).
    When I took the head in to the head shop I didn't think it was too bad and I was surprised about the amount of corrosion he managed to find (looked like he dug it out with something sharp).
    Have you got another block? if so was it easy to find and how many $$ did it cost (roughly), I may have to go down this path yet.

When Id di the water pump this year, we noticed the block around there was thin and corroded. I wouldn't pay more than 600 for an acid dipped and crack tested block if I was you.

I found one through my mechanic in Melbourne, these guys have been really fantastic, I know I can trust them withthe re-build so I think I'll do it with them. Auto Paris if anyone else need one too.

cheers
    Dave

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Thread Information