407 HDi manual - no power
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 407 HDi manual - no power

Perhaps somebody has the knowledge to keep the old girl on the road.
    She's a 2009 with 354km of mostly flattish rural driving of 100k each way per day at around 95kph. Has 1 owner since new and regular servicing, but not by dealer. Been very good till 6 mths ago when ocassional sudden loss of power was cured by pulling off the road and re-starting. This trait got worse so off to a mechanic who cured it till recently when fault returned. Back to mechanic who looked and looked before declaring that the problem was not readily detectable and could consume heaps of time with no guarantee of success. It will start but has little or no power to do much else than stall.

Was still sweet to drive and a shame for it to pass away before the half million mark. Thanks

Advertisement

4 or V6?
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

There was 2.2 HDI recently that had loss of power issues at high speed. See this thread for story:

C5 HDi mystery lever...

Tadpole

Could be unrelated however...My 406 power loss was the result of collapsed internals in the rear muffler.

cheers, Mark.

Fellow Frogger!

He's right, they can take a bit of diagnosing. Quite a few are now developing problems with the vacuum circuit which drives the turbo. It can be either a hole in the plastic lines (that is what mine was) or one of the actuators. Interestingly reports say to look at the actuators down the front of the motor first as they have been the culprits in a few cases. Took me ages to sort mine but since then one of our locals has had some success.

The way to diagnose is to test vacuum on this circuit. It can be done by blocking off at various points to see if things improve. The best way is with a vacuum gauge.

You can buy actuator solenoids on ebay.

Happy to chat on how we did this via email if you send me a pm.

Good luck

Cheers

JIm

When was the fuel filter chained? Power loss with a diesel can easily be fuel filter related and by the colour of the ‘regularly serviced’ filters I’ve seen, they are often untouched for years and years.

Have you checked for any fault codes that might give some clues.

I've seen this kind of behavior when the fuel pressure regulator fails (supplying only enough pressure to get slightly above idle and stalling). Can be easily diagnosed with a scan tool and checking the live fuel pressure values.

Tadpole

I replaced the mass airflow sensor $56 from eBay.uk and the problem was solved

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

Fellow Frogger!

Thats quite a few clues woth checking. It is the 2.0 lt 4 cylinder. The sudden loss of power came across more as a fault rather than a fuel starvation from a clogging filter, and the act of turning the key off and then back on suggests a reset type situation. But then stranger things have happened with the complex cars of today. Will chase the town mechanics to see if they have any fault codes or just lucked it with the 5-6 month cure. Could be that the 2 problems are not the same.
    Have got access to a spare engine in a 307 stat right off, but the trek between the 2 makes part swapping a bit hard. The likelihood of a vacuum issue would make a roll of hose and a fitting or 2 the way to go as soon as time permits.
    All the best; thanks.

Is the check engine light on?

I have 4 hdi cars. Have had various problems with the same symptoms.
    Split intercooler hose.
    Egr valve faulty.
    Blocked fuel filter.
    Vacuum leak to solenoids.
    The car will not be stuffed, but you need to hook it up to pp2000 to read the fault codes & go from there.

Anyone got picture of the vacuum solenoids ?

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

My $21.90 worth is purchase this vacuum tester from e bay just copy 182354672922 in to a e:bay search or google .
    Disconnect vacuum line from vacuum pump L/h side of head . Pump down Vacuum and let sit . If it won't hold vacuum "GOOD "
    trace vacuum lines to front of motor Remove steel brace from over the oil filter { ie fuel filter housing support } there are a few vacuum lines & 1 x Tee piece check all rubber hoses & the Tee can also be Y shaped.
    This tee is known to crack the vacuum hoses split as well . If all good trace vacuum line back towards L/h side of head past the vacuum pump back behind the cylinder head there it runs to the R/h back corner of the head where a electronic /vacuum control solenoid is located , then on to turbo. {Turbo Actuator Control Solenoid 9661960380 1618x2 } Check all vacuum lines for leaks before changing . 1 or 2 more solenoids located near A/c compressor for egr also need checking for leaks
    On my 307 2007 HDI it was a split hose between the Yee piece to Vacuum reservoir under the Plastic intake air manifold
    Resulting in no turbo boost JPT

Any update from kelpiebat the OP? What was the solution?

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

Thread Information