406 Hdi with the shakes!
  • Register
  • Help

Icon5 406 Hdi with the shakes!

I have a 2003 406HDi, 380,000km. It is running like clockwork on my country road runs however I have been to Melb today (300 km drive) then hit stop start traffic on the Toll Way. The car developed significant shakes i.e. shaking the car, when idling in traffic. The tacho did not really fluctuate and if I lifted the engine speed to 1000rpm the shakes stopped. On getting home tonight I have let the car rest for a few hours and started it again - some vibration but not as significant. I have felt this before but no where near as bad as this morning. This is not just an engine vibration, it is something that makes the whole car shake. Any ideas where I start looking please?

Glenn

Advertisement

COL

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I have a 2003 406HDi, 380,000km. It is running like clockwork on my country road runs however I have been to Melb today (300 km drive) then hit stop start traffic on the Toll Way. The car developed significant shakes i.e. shaking the car, when idling in traffic. The tacho did not really fluctuate and if I lifted the engine speed to 1000rpm the shakes stopped. On getting home tonight I have let the car rest for a few hours and started it again - some vibration but not as significant. I have felt this before but no where near as bad as this morning. This is not just an engine vibration, it is something that makes the whole car shake. Any ideas where I start looking please?

Glenn
    I'm not sure but looking at the age of the car and the number of Km's on it I would look at engine and gearbox mounts, could have gone soft or even broken.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

WLB

Broken (missing) fan blade?
    I've had this happen with a belt-driven fan on a Range Rover, and it was enough to shake something that heavy. It happened in the Burnley tunnel in peak hour years ago. Very convenient, and there was a limit to how fast I could drive it to get out and off the freeway because the faster I went the worse it got. I had guessed what the problem was as I heard the plastic blade hit the underside of the bonnet.

BUT, if the 406 only has electric fans (my recollection), then the faster you go, the more cooling air through the radiator, and the fans will turn off. Vibration stops.
    Last edited by WLB; 20th October 2017 at 01:35 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks guys. I checked the fan because I do know that it can cause a serious vibration but the blade is certainly all in one piece. Although engine mounts could be soft or broken something else would have to be out of balance to cause such a vibration in the first place. Thanks for your ideas.
    Glenn

..... Although engine mounts could be soft or broken something else would have to be out of balance to cause such a vibration in the first place. Thanks for your ideas.
    Glenn
    Yes.... its called a diesel engine.
    A dud mount or two can cause a significant wobble.

WLB

Quote Originally Posted by WLB View Post
    ... BUT, if the 406 only has electric fans (my recollection), ....
    Doh!! As Homer Simpson would say!
    Of course the 406 doesn't have a mechanical fan! It's got a transverse engine! (And it isn't a 204 or 304)
    Note to self: Engage brain before replying to a post. (I daren't mention that I owned a 406 SRDT for years and my son has 2001 HDi)

Perhaps the alternator overriding pulley is giving up the ghost.
    Regards,

Simon

2014 208 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Check the harmonic balancer.

Is the car manual or auto - DMF on the way out ?

but my money is on engine mounts.....

Cheers

Justin
    '07 Megane R26
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '09 308 XSE Touring
    '10 308 Sportium Touring

sounds like an injector has gone crook, i replaced a few in customers cars of late, they seem to be getting old
    2016 Cactus
    2003 Range rover l322
    1974 D special
    1971 D special
    1992 CX TGE Safari
    1961 ID19
    1972 DS21 Safari
    1965 Renault R4
    1923 Citroen B2
    1927 B14
    Massey ferguson 550

Tadpole

Agreed with balki, check injectors. You can also open fuel filter housing, drain and replace filter and refill housing with good quality injector cleaner and run car, see if this changes the old girl.

You Also check for metal flakes in bottom, shows pump is worn.

Good luck

Thanks everyone - you have given me a few more things to explore over the weekend.
    Glenn

I've seen soft engine mount's cause significant vibration. I'm talking the entire car visibly moving.
    I wouldn't discount the engine mount's being the problem.

As to why it would be worse in traffic, I'd say the extra heat from the environment and minimal to no air flow though the engine bay exaggerating the problem. Also if the A\C was on, the extra load on the engine could contribute to it too.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Took the car to "local" dealer today for a diagnostic check. Apparently there is an electrical problem either in the wiring harness for the fuel pump or the fuel pump itself. It looks like those that said fuel issues where on the money.
    Glenn

Has this been fixed? Do you have more detail on the actual repair & what they found?

Thanks for the replies everyone. Took the car to "local" dealer today for a diagnostic check. Apparently there is an electrical problem either in the wiring harness for the fuel pump or the fuel pump itself. It looks like those that said fuel issues where on the money.
    Glenn

Default shakey 406

Quote Originally Posted by Farmpug View Post
    Has this been fixed? Do you have more detail on the actual repair & what they found?
    This has not been fixed yet. Basically dealer cleared the codes and said wit for it to happen again. I am still very suspicious that it is i9s associated with moisture on the crank sensor. This idea came from the UK 406 forum and it makes sense in that the day this happened it had been bucketing with rain.
    Glenn

This has not been fixed yet. Basically dealer cleared the codes and said wit for it to happen again. I am still very suspicious that it is i9s associated with moisture on the crank sensor. This idea came from the UK 406 forum and it makes sense in that the day this happened it had been bucketing with rain.
    Glenn
    Did the dealer actually take a look at the car ? Or did they just plug in the diagnostics and rely on that ?

I'm amazed at the new age reliance on what the computer tells them about the engine, rather than the old school process of opening the bonnet and actually having a look at the engine.

This must be very frustrating given that it's been going on for 2 months now.

Cheers

Justin
    '07 Megane R26
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '09 308 XSE Touring
    '10 308 Sportium Touring

Thread Information